• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drdr48

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Winry is pointless!

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE HER!

But... I just don't think she's necessary.

When you think about it, Ed always fixes Al, even when he is torn apart to little pieces (as long as all the parts are in one place), so why not do the same with his arm?
He gives her his hand to repair even when it's not completely destroyed.

I heard people say it takes both hands to perform alchemy because if one is destroyed he can't fix it with alchemy, but as long as all the parts are in one place, Al can always fix Ed's arm when his arm is completely destroyed with his alchemy..
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
First of all, you have to consider the immense complexity of an automail limb. There are a huge number of moving parts, and it needs to be connected in a specific way to the persons nerves. I suppose maybe an alchemist could just create one, but to make sure it's created correctly probably requires a highly in-depth knowledge of the workings of automail, something neither of the Elric brothers specificalyl delved into.

Even assuming they could just alchemy Ed's arm back into condition whenever it gets damaged, you're completely ignoring her personal interactions with Ed and Al. She isn't just Ed's automail mechanic, she's also the closest thing they have to family, and she provides insight into the brothers in ways we otherwise wouldn't be aware of.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
She might not be pointless, but she is horribly irritating though. It never crossed my mind while watching FMA 1, but in Brotherhood she was really, really getting on my nerves. She sure was important for the brothers, but I found her also... I dont know, quite artificial? That might not be the right word, but out of all female characters in the show, I thought she was the least credible.

And having in mind her extremely annoying personality, I am not surprised at all that people tend to forget about how skilled of a mechanic she was and how much the Elrics needed her. It just gets overshadowed by her other attributes.
Clonez

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
She might not be pointless, but she is horribly irritating though. It never crossed my mind while watching FMA 1, but in Brotherhood she was really, really getting on my nerves. She sure was important for the brothers, but I found her also... I don't know, quite artificial? That might not be the right word, but out of all female characters in the show, I thought she was the least credible.

And having in mind her extremely annoying personality, I am not surprised at all that people tend to forget about how skilled of a mechanic she was and how much the Elrics needed her. It just gets overshadowed by her other attributes.

Really? If anything i found her personality to be less annoying in the manga. she actually contributes to the story and tries to help the brothers any way she can. And i don't know about artificial.... in brotherhood i agree her presence was reduced alot, but in the manga she actually did have a personality, believe it or not. More so than in the first anime IMO.

drdr48 wrote:
Winry is pointless!

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE HER!

But... I just don't think she's necessary.

When you think about it, Ed always fixes Al, even when he is torn apart to little pieces (as long as all the parts are in one place), so why not do the same with his arm?
He gives her his hand to repair even when it's not completely destroyed.

I heard people say it takes both hands to perform alchemy because if one is destroyed he can't fix it with alchemy, but as long as all the parts are in one place, Al can always fix Ed's arm when his arm is completely destroyed with his alchemy..

Lol well if you have read the manga or read brotherhood you will realize that 80% of the time ed's arm is not in place and even if all the parts are there ed doesn't have a good enough knowledge of automail to be able to fix it. Plus its an excuse to get winry to tune it up a little. Twisted Evil Anyways Winry is far from useless, she does everything she can to help ed and al whenever she can and takes her work very seriously. It has been shown in both the manga and brotherhood that winry works tirelessly day and night whenever ed's arm is broken. Might i remind you that that automail arm of his has saved his life on numerous occasions, too many to count, so i highly doubt that you can call her useless.

Besides, did you forget that she talked ed/al/scar/mei/yoki/miles/the chimera out of a dangerous hostage situation involving kimblee?
Clonez

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Lil Kis wrote:
So what is better the original Fullmetal Alchemist or Brotherhood the manga remake

It depends. Personally, I prefer the first Fullmetal Alchemist, there are some not-so-good-ideas, but it has atmosphere, angsty atmosphere, but at least it exists. I have seen several episodes of Brotherhood and never in my life have I seen any other show that so successfully kills its own atmosphere with unfunny gags. Brotherhood is significantly hurt by the fact that it tries to be drama and comedy and fails miserably at both. This completely ruins my enjoyment; I’m more inclined to forgive plot-holes. Of course, this may not be a problem for you.

I like the manga. Thats what this comparison is about. Where brotherhood fails epicly at comedic moments, the manga shines. And as for the drama, i thought brotherhood covered this pretty well. the manga, even better.

As for the first anime, i found it a bit TOO emotional. I like how you got to know tucker a little before he was killed, but story wise this wasn't necessary, though a nice addition, so i don't know if its a fair criticism of the manga. also, the bit about tucker turning himself into some sort of sloth-pig-man hybrid was a little contrived, it seemed like an excuse to bring nina back into the story in one form or another. on the other hand, in the manga, while nina did have a deep and lasting impact on the brothers, she wasn't shoved in their faces like in the anime. i don't get how the nina/alexander chimera would even have lived through scar's deconstruction alchemy in the first place, and i would question how tucker got his hands on the chimera in the first place after being transferred to Lab 5.

Same for Hughes' death. In the manga, its a short affair, lasting perhaps a few chapters. In the first anime, it was stretched out to evoke an emotional response from the audience. Again, story wise this wasn't necessary. I feel that the manga had plenty of depth when it covered this matter. Thats what its like in the military though. People die before you have a chance to come to terms with it. Everything moves fast because many things are happening, which makes it seem all the more sad.

I thought the manga had more momentum in its story, alot more was happening, and it was generally more realistic. In the anime one thing after another started going off track and in an unrealistic fashion just to tie into a story that IMO didn't have any particular direction or purpose. Story wise the manga had much more going for it, a powerful cast of characters that only grew larger with time, a dynamic plot to tie them all together, the questions of humanity and morality, which were more subtle and realistically portrayed than in the first anime.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, sorry to be like a year late to the party, but I only just finished the manga a few days ago. Odds are if I saw the topic before, I avoided it to avoid manga spoilers.

I saw the first anime (with Shamballa movie) before I read the manga (except for like the few volumes of the manga way back when Viz first put them out). Part of it was, of course, it was on TV at a time when I'd still bother to watch anime on TV. This at least held true through the first half, before [adult swim] had to put it on the back burner waiting for the rest of the series (not sure if it had yet to air or be dubbed, whatever, but they still took a break), and it always slipped my mind when it was on from there on. But I still really loved the first half! So I ended up buying the first anime because it was pretty cheap, I got 1-1 for $5 and 1-2, 2-1, and 2-2 for $15 each (they were in the TRSI bargain bin since a newer version was obviously out), and nabbed the movie for cheap at a used place. Actually got these January 2011 (according to TRSI order history), so then I just went ahead and watched it all from the start. Yes, I was aware of Brotherhood and the manga, but I wanted to watch the first anime first in case I got jaded or something, lol. My collection rules state that I won't get Brotherhood since I already have the manga (I don't like duplicates).

So now I'm comparing the first anime, which I must admit to having some nostalgia for, it was probably one of the last anime I watched on TV (though only the first half) to the manga, which is, to put it bluntly, practically described as "god" or something.

But I honestly think I liked the first anime overall better. I can certainly name strengths of the manga, the world is much better built and fully realised, there's more story, and I quite like May Chang (or whatever brotherhood calls her). Not to mention that manga style drawing for humor works better in....well a manga. I also liked the little 4-Koma things in every volume, heck the first one even took a couple of the 8 page mini stories and made full on episodes out of them, those were entertaining.
But it's quite similar a dilemma that Planetes presented to me in which the manga also had a lot more story. Similar to FMA, I ended up preferring the anime (of course, Planetes anime didn't introduce a story line until the last 6 eps where at least FMA started with one and had some episodic stuff but still always had one). I think that they both had more heart so to say.

I'm sure that some will disagree, but for me, the first FMA anime, overall, had more emotion to me. Part of this is the fact that it needed to spend episodes doing nothing to actually move the story forward, so they basically had to devote it to building up the characters. A few primary examples are of course the Tuckers spoiler[Nina spent way more time playing with Ed and Al, making it even more twisted when she got fused with the dog] and of course Hughes spoiler[who was given like half the series to be in it and to spend way more time talking about Elicia and how much he loves his family, which he didn't do all that much of except in the 4-Koma/side stuff. Getting more screen time and more time to dote on his daughter made his death far more emotional for me], both of which even those who prefer Brotherhood or the manga tend to also agree on.

Ok, so the story obviously wasn't as strong, and it clearly had to make some stuff up, but I almost feel like if you take the characterization from the first anime and insert it into the manga as you read it, then you're all set!

Actually, I thought of one other complaint I have with the manga and that is that at the end, spoiler[there's the whole big "everyone gets together to defeat the big bad (and co.) thing], which really seems like the type of shonen trope that I dislike because I feel like it doesn't normally need to happen. Also at the very end, spoiler[restoring the status quo, it's implied that Mustang fixes his eyes, but Al gets his body back, Ed gets at least an arm back, Hohenheim helped Izumi a bit so she's at least improved, Ling gets Xing, Ed and Winry have babies ever after (as does Hayate)], etc, I think it makes me actually like the first anime's ending more. I'm also going in part with the Shamballa movie here, but it's quite a bit more sad, spoiler[Al and Ed are finally back together, but in Germany/Europe when WW2 is about to begin, not exactly a great place to be, Winry is still in their original world, and there is no alchemy over here], being one who has a thing for bittersweet endings, I preferred the first anime's ending.

So it's really the ending and the characterization that makes me give the nod to the first anime, even if the story/plot and the world are better in the manga. It's just that I tend to give priority to characters over plot. I should make it very clear that I still enjoyed the manga, like 8/10 for me, but the first anime is like a 9/10 for me.

Seeing how Viz is going to be releasing the final volume of the manga on December 20th (earlier if you get the whole box set), I do expect more people to notice the topic again then, I'm just a bit ahead of the game.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
I would point out that while the first anime does indeed spend more time with some characters it also hardly develops some character at all. Mustang's men never develop past comedy relief (a good example, is compare Breda's dub voice in the first series, and the second series, Breda sounds much stupider in the first series). Riza's character is simply that of Roy's straight man, and occasional romantic scene. The last three episodes are more concerned with setting up the movie than actually finishing the tv series so we got a rushed ending with Envy spoiler[turning into a dragon because they needed him to be a dragon for the movie. Envy's past with hohenheim is given almost no time, and Dante and Hohenheim's past is given in two minutes where they reveal that his history's greatest monster. No reason is ever given to what caused Hohenheim to be a good guy. ] Compare that with Brotherhood which spent a lot more time telling Hohenheim's past when it was a much simpler story.

I am honestly confused by why people keep on bringing up Nina, like she's some massive character when she appears in like two episodes. The fake Elric brothers get more development than Nina did.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am honestly confused by why people keep on bringing up Nina, like she's some massive character when she appears in like two episodes. The fake Elric brothers get more development than Nina did.

Because, at least in the manga, Ed and Al mention her quite a bit, even towards end volumes, as something that really affected them. They don't ever really mention the Fake Elrics that much in the first series once the incident is over, but in all cases they seem to mention Nina quite a bit as a horrifying event for them.

I do agree with you on Falman, Havoc, Breda, and Feury. In addition to loving their badass names, they are definitely better in the manga, mostly because of the whole spoiler[Barry the Butcher] incident.

Something else I also like is giving Barry the Butcher an episode early on to establish him better. Not only does it give Ed a great chance to rescue Winry from someone who actually felt like he might kill her, but when he shows up later, it gives the audience a good reference since we've already seen him so early on. Granted, it kinda makes Winry a damsel in distress, but dude, she was captured by a serial killer, she seems to be strong enough elsewhere. I guess she's held hostage a couple times in the manga too, spoiler[both on purpose, like with Scar, but also more naively] so it evens out.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
II am honestly confused by why people keep on bringing up Nina, like she's some massive character when she appears in like two episodes. The fake Elric brothers get more development than Nina did.

Because in the manga/Brotherhood, spoiler[the only reason we're supposed to care that she dies is because she is a child. It's cheap emotional manipulation. Comparatively, the first anime built up her character so that there was an actual attachment, and the viewers felt an genuine sense of loss. The same is true of Maes, to a lesser degree. His characterization in the manga isn't quite as extensive as it is in the first anime, and to me it felt just like another soldier had been offed when I read the manga (which is after I'd seen the first series, btw).]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Because in the manga/Brotherhood, spoiler[the only reason we're supposed to care that she dies is because she is a child. It's cheap emotional manipulation. Comparatively, the first anime built up her character so that there was an actual attachment, and the viewers felt an genuine sense of loss. The same is true of Maes, to a lesser degree. His characterization in the manga isn't quite as extensive as it is in the first anime, and to me it felt just like another soldier had been offed when I read the manga (which is after I'd seen the first series, btw).]

My point is that when where debating characters, when talking about the manga, I am going to bring in major characters like Riza Hawkeye, or Scar who had much better character development in the manga. It doesn't sound good if anime fans counter with a character who was in a whopping total of two episodes. Using Hughes or Lust (who gets a lot more characterization in the first anime) would make a lot more sense.
deskiejhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
spoiler[[base on my own]] definitely the anime simply because it’s moving and more like alive you’ll see how alchemy works, manga on the other hand is great too..Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
My point is that when where debating characters, when talking about the manga, I am going to bring in major characters like Riza Hawkeye, or Scar who had much better character development in the manga. It doesn't sound good if anime fans counter with a character who was in a whopping total of two episodes. Using Hughes or Lust (who gets a lot more characterization in the first anime) would make a lot more sense.

I did mention Hughes, and I usually bring up the Homunculi, as aside from spoiler[Greed/Ling, who is at least half a new character anyway] I generally prefer the characterization from the first anime. As for Riza and Scar, I honestly don't remember them being that much more interesting in Brotherhood/the manga despite the additional development (and Scar has plenty of development in the first anime, it's just different).

I also prefer Dante to Father as the main villain, because Dante has to scheme more to be successful, whereas Father spoiler[has the entire high command as his foolish pawns doing much of the dirty work without needing to risk exposing himself as the mastermind, plus he's got an entire secret research division or something doing metaphorical legwork for him.] His apathetic personality felt boring to me.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm up to episode 36 and I STILL don't know how spoiler[ Ed and Al don't yet know about Hughes' death!]

Also, kind of confused at one small part: spoiler[ Why would the two Ishbalan kids give Scar refuge if they knew his scar meant that he was an exile/traitor? I know they later said something along the lines of, 'there was just something about him that was different,' but they didn't know that initially. So why would they come to his aid?]

Loving everything else so far though. Ordered Brotherhood series 1 and 2 on blu ray the other day so those should arrive just as I'm finishing the original series!
yogurtovsky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Ordered Brotherhood series 1 and 2 on blu ray the other day so those should arrive just as I'm finishing the original series!

Ironically, Brotherhood is original, loyal to the manga series Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the anime. Shounen manga....is....I don't know. Way less addicting....in most cases.

Unicorn_Blade wrote:
She might not be pointless, but she is horribly irritating though. It never crossed my mind while watching

FMA 1, but in Brotherhood she was really, really getting on my nerves. She sure was important for the brothers, but I found her also... I don't know, quite artificial? That might not be the right word, but out of all female characters in the show, I thought she was the least credible.

Whaaaaaaaaat Winry's personality isn't annoying at all; ESPECIALLY in Brotherhood! She's a wonderful character.

......you're not........one of those EdxRoy-shipping purists, are you? o_O
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17