• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Hidamari Sketch × Hoshimittsu, Orphen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
Doesn't Sentai have access to ADV's old catalogue by default? Orphen wasn't exactly a stellar show to begin with, but hopefully it will do pretty well.

No, they are legally separate entities. ADV's series are overseen by AeSir holdings. When they are released, like season 2 of Orphen on their last complete collection, and Princess Tutu, they still have the ADV logo.

When the last collection was released, ADV still had season 2. I don't know if that's changed or not. We likely won't know until the set is released. It appears the last complete collection Sentai released is out of print and sold out on most sites, so it couldn't have done too badly.

AEsir Holdings is basically the Section23 group who holds all the licenses what left of ADV henceforth,there were loads of licenses that they could have kept but choose to lease out many of its most recent ones Remember in 2009, ADV the company was basically molded into Section23 after merging with AEsir Holdings. The only thing that died, was the label.

Section23 basically split each piece of AD.Vision into separate entities and decided to make "Sentai Filmworks" it sole label. AD Vision we both know is still alive and active. ADV Films is defunct.

BTW, why do you think Section23 choose not to renew most of its pre sojitz titles?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh boo. I just got the ADV boxset versions of Orphen to replace my singles and to conserve shelf space. Ah well, at least they were cheap. Anime hyper

And yay for more Hidamari Sketch! I just bought season 1 not too long ago and will be getting season 2.

And double yay for Angel Beats coming out this summer!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
Doesn't Sentai have access to ADV's old catalogue by default? Orphen wasn't exactly a stellar show to begin with, but hopefully it will do pretty well.

No, they are legally separate entities. ADV's series are overseen by AeSir holdings. When they are released, like season 2 of Orphen on their last complete collection, and Princess Tutu, they still have the ADV logo.

When the last collection was released, ADV still had season 2. I don't know if that's changed or not. We likely won't know until the set is released. It appears the last complete collection Sentai released is out of print and sold out on most sites, so it couldn't have done too badly.

AEsir Holdings is basically the Section23 group who holds all the licenses what left of ADV henceforth,there were loads of licenses that they could have kept but choose to lease out many of its most recent ones Remember in 2009, ADV the company was basically molded into Section23 after merging with AEsir Holdings. The only thing that died, was the label.

Section23 basically split each piece of AD.Vision into separate entities and decided to make "Sentai Filmworks" it sole label. AD Vision we both know is still alive and active. ADV Films is defunct.

BTW, why do you think Section23 choose not to renew most of its pre sojitz titles?

Wow, you just repeated everything I said in two posts. DId you even read them? I'm completely aware of the situation surrounding ADV, Section 23, Sentai and AeSir. That doesn't change the fact that licenses expire and that Sentai legally can't just re-release whatever they want of ADV's under their own label. Regardless of the fact that the companies operate out of the same offices with a lot of the same staff doesn't change the fact that LEGALLY they are all separate entities. ADV and AeSir still have those licenses, not Sentai. If Sentai wants them, they have to wait for them to expire then negotiate for them. As I said, the ADV label may be retired, but any shows that ADV had licensed have still been getting re-released with the ADV logo. The Orphen Season 2 box in their last complete collection still had the ADV logo, while Season 1 had the Sentai logo. The Princess Tutu collections that were released by Section 23 still had the ADV logos.

They chose not to renew the licenses because they felt they were better off using the money to acquire new titles. With the exception of some very strong titles, most license rescues have limited sales potential. A lot of those titles were heavily printed and are still easy to find online and at places like FYE. That's likely the same reason Funimation sold TV and digital rights for Chrono Crusade to get it on the SyFy block. The likely reasons Sentai acquired the rescues they have were that the licenses were reasonable and it allowed them to add some dubbed content to their catalog and Anime Network's line up.

I've also been told that the people at Sentai/Section 23 would prefer to focus on the future, rather than reliving their glory days as ADV.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Yaaaaaaay!!! I'm so glad Hidamari Sketch season 3 is now licensed, I too was a bit worried... I'm pre-ordering it as soon as it's available.

It is now, so get to work. Razz

Yeah, I'm loving this too. My Ordinary Life was much too hyperactive for me, so this is clearly a better option. I already have the two first seasons, so it was a given that I put in the preorder for the third. It's like Aria or Maria Watches Over Us in that you know it's not going to let you down.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Paploo wrote:
Nice to see another old ADV title pop up in Sentai's listings... it has a fun dub from what I recall.

What other ADV title did Sentai license rescue from their former label?

Could be wrong, but wasn't The World of Narue form ADV as well? It's been ages since I last heard news of who licensed that series, so I might be thinking of someone else.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
although this may be a stupid question, am I to assume the orphen complete collection includes that dreadful season 2? I'll still buy it to replace whatever singles I have left, but I might be inclined to either never watch or throw away the season 2 of that set.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
July is going to be a pretty nice month with Katanagatari and Angel Beats coming to BD.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Paploo wrote:
Nice to see another old ADV title pop up in Sentai's listings... it has a fun dub from what I recall.

Could be wrong, but wasn't The World of Narue form ADV as well? It's been ages since I last heard news of who licensed that series, so I might be thinking of someone else.

Yhe World of Narue was originally licensed by Central Park Media.

I wonder if the release of Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu will include the recent specials. When Sentai did the first 2 seasons they included the extra episodes.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Nope. World of Narue was an old CPM(Central Park Media) title that ADV licensed rescued before they shuttered thier label.

Since this was in mid 2009 and since AEsir holds the license, World of Narue is still being printed with the ADV logo.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
dammit sentai just go ahead take all of it, i am going to be broke for a long long time now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Nope. World of Narue was an old CPM(Central Park Media) title that ADV licensed rescued before they shuttered thier label.

Since this was in mid 2009 and since AEsir holds the license, World of Narue is still being printed with the ADV logo.

ADV never had the license to World of Narue. They had an agreement with CPM to distribute certain titles, of which Narue was one. If you look at the Narue, Grave of The Fireflies, and Now and Then, Here and There sets from ADV, they still have the CPM logos and copyrights. The discs even play the CPM logo before the menu.

Anime Network stopped streaming and airing the CPM shows some time ago, so at least the TV and digital rights have expired. It's unknown if the DVD rights are stil active and if the series is still being printed. However, for a brief period these were listed on the Sentai site, along with some of the old ADV series, but they have all been removed.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I kinda miss the days when licensing announcements took place at conventions. This announcement is something that normally would have been held onto until Anime Boston this weekend. Perhaps they'll still have some announcements for then, but it just seems like more and more their panels at the conventions start out with "As I'm sure you've heard..." I don't mean this is something only Sentai does, mind you. Funi does it often too, and no one else goes to conventions on a national scale, so I can't comment on them.

Oh, I'm quite glad to hear that they did get the third Hidamari Sketch series, I was just reminiscing about the "good old days" as it were. Smile
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Chronomeister wrote:
Now that I know Angel Beats is coming to Blu-ray, that recently purchased Blu-ray player I got seems totally justified.

Will have to remember to purchase Blu-Ray Player before then. :p

*Adds Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu, Angel Beats, and Allison & Lillia to my Want List on Microsoft Word on Flash Drive*
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
July 26th can't come soon enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I kinda miss the days when licensing announcements took place at conventions. This announcement is something that normally would have been held onto until Anime Boston this weekend. Perhaps they'll still have some announcements for then, but it just seems like more and more their panels at the conventions start out with "As I'm sure you've heard..." I don't mean this is something only Sentai does, mind you. Funi does it often too, and no one else goes to conventions on a national scale, so I can't comment on them.

Oh, I'm quite glad to hear that they did get the third Hidamari Sketch series, I was just reminiscing about the "good old days" as it were. Smile
Yeah, I miss those days too, but I do not believe they can exist in the days of widespread Internet adoption by anime fans. For example, at Katsucon 2011 one of the notable mini-events was Greg Ayres trying to announce a new dub he was going to be in. He started to wax on about it, edifying the show, keeping the con guests in suspense until he was finally ready to spring the title on his fans....and then some fans shouted out the show's title. Not only did the fans know of his involvement before Greg Ayres thought it was announced, but they knew the entire dub cast for the property (which was To, btw). I was actually in ignorance of his involvement in that, so I jumped online to check it out, and Google showed it to me effortlessly.

At least with these press releases, the dub/licensing companies are the first to tell the fans. (Also, when & where does Sentai do panels?)

It's great that Sentai is pumping out titles that a fair number of people want, but when are they going to finally finish Golgo 13? Also, are their new DVDs going to continue to have more extras (ala Clannad After Story's commentary track)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3