• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Hidamari Sketch × Hoshimittsu, Orphen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakaran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
I 'll get Orphen on blu ray Very Happy!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

At least with these press releases, the dub/licensing companies are the first to tell the fans. (Also, when & where does Sentai do panels?)

Sentai has an industry panel scheduled at Anime Boston this weekend. I was pretty surprised to see it too, usually we just get Funimation. Although, thinking back, I believe before they did their thing, ADV used to host a panel. So, maybe Sentai is finally getting to the point where they can attend cons now.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

At least with these press releases, the dub/licensing companies are the first to tell the fans. (Also, when & where does Sentai do panels?)

Sentai has an industry panel scheduled at Anime Boston this weekend. I was pretty surprised to see it too, usually we just get Funimation. Although, thinking back, I believe before they did their thing, ADV used to host a panel. So, maybe Sentai is finally getting to the point where they can attend cons now.
Brutal, as I can't go to Anime Boston due to Easter weekend. Maybe if Sentai can do Boston they can do another large-ish con, or even Otakon. It could be a reason for me to actually go to Otakon this year.

ADV did do a few panels that I know of, but the only ones I had opportunity to go to were @ Otakon back in the day. Due to the nature of the beast that is Otakon, I couldn't attend them.(As you have to line up hours in advance for any big event there. Thus when the ADV panel was on, I was in line for events which didn't even start for an hour or so after ADV ended.)

It's awesome that ADV is slogging its way back to prominence. Not long ago they were only churning out bare-bones subs, but since they've gotten back dubs, J-Extras, 5.1 audio*, English Extras, and now panels. (Sadly, they've also gone back to the Stack-Pak, but I blame the publisher for that.)

(*As I hear it on ANN, Bandai only gave us 2.0 on K-On. Lame, considering the show & the work the dub vocalists put in. When the UPS man drops off my copy, I'll know for sure. For Sentai to have features that a Bandai mega-release could not surely means that they are on the right track. Though to their credit, Bandai is actually giving us an English cast extra!)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Brutal, as I can't go to Anime Boston due to Easter weekend. Maybe if Sentai can do Boston they can do another large-ish con, or even Otakon. It could be a reason for me to actually go to Otakon this year.

ADV did do a few panels that I know of, but the only ones I had opportunity to go to were @ Otakon back in the day. Due to the nature of the beast that is Otakon, I couldn't attend them.(As you have to line up hours in advance for any big event there. Thus when the ADV panel was on, I was in line for events which didn't even start for an hour or so after ADV ended.)

It's awesome that ADV is slogging its way back to prominence. Not long ago they were only churning out bare-bones subs, but since they've gotten back dubs, J-Extras, 5.1 audio*, English Extras, and now panels. (Sadly, they've also gone back to the Stack-Pak, but I blame the publisher for that.)

(*As I hear it on ANN, Bandai only gave us 2.0 on K-On. Lame, considering the show & the work the dub vocalists put in. When the UPS man drops off my copy, I'll know for sure. For Sentai to have features that a Bandai mega-release could not surely means that they are on the right track. Though to their credit, Bandai is actually giving us an English cast extra!)

Sentai has actually been attendming Cons for a while, though mostly smaller ones. They've also had booths at some major cons where they didn't host panels. Nyan Koi was actually announced duringt a Con panel last year prior to the solicitation.

Also, Sentai also included an English VA commentary on Clannad After Story. I also wonder if the stack pack for that may have been partly for consistency with the first series. But ultimately, they only have so much say in the packaging, with the replicator playing a big part.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, Sentai also included an English VA commentary on Clannad After Story
Yep, that was the "English Extra" I was referring to. I'm hoping that we'll continue to get commentary tracks, and eventually move back up to things like the video interviews of the vocal cast as they are knocking back booze Wink
Quote:
Sentai has actually been attendming Cons for a while, though mostly smaller ones.
Which cons, pray tell, were those? Where can I find out to which cons they will be bringing panels? Sites like AnimeCons.com don't seem to provide much assistance on that, as Matt Greenfield or David Williams attending a con doesn't mean that there will also be a Sentai panel....does it?
Quote:
They've also had booths at some major cons where they didn't host panels.
I go to the smaller cons because I like to, and I go to the "too large for their own good" major cons because I have to, and I don't recall ever seeing these booths or panels. What cons, again, were they at? Perhaps I miss them as I have really only done East Coast area cons, so if they're only going to cons closer to their native "Tay-Has", then I understand why I missed them.
Quote:
But ultimately, they only have so much say in the packaging, with the replicator playing a big part.
True, and I still don't blame them for the stack-pak, the publisher is ultimately at fault. If Sentai can shave costs by using a stack-pak, good for them. Their releases have gained the unfortunate reputation among fans (even on ANN, for shame) of being "too expensive". As for me, I bought my Clannad AS and put it into a better box. I like the dub(Foster FTW!), though I regrettably don't like the show, but I'm glad I supported the underdog.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't really mind the stack packs as long as it's not the kind where they have the three discs with two of them overlapping each other. Unless that's entirely what you mean by stack packs. When I looked up stack packs, it also brought up the kind where there's a DVD on each side of the case, which I don't see a problem with. Of course, even that is far superior to the spindle packs that a few sets I have employed. Those were just plain atrocious.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I don't really mind the stack packs as long as it's not the kind where they have the three discs with two of them overlapping each other. Unless that's entirely what you mean by stack packs. When I looked up stack packs, it also brought up the kind where there's a DVD on each side of the case, which I don't see a problem with. Of course, even that is far superior to the spindle packs that a few sets I have employed. Those were just plain atrocious.
I've been using "stack-pak" to refer to a package where there is a cutout for just one DVD in the plastic, and a really long protruding spindle which allows multiple DVDs to be stacked on top of each other. I get the idea that what I'm calling a "stack-pak" you're referring to as a spindle pack. Basically what Clannad After Story is packaged in, and it sucks.

As far as I'm concerned, any type of case where the DVDs aren't stacked on top of each other is great. I'm not really an overlapping-case fan as I like dvd case booklets which are rarely included in such sets, and having to remove 2 dvds when you only want one is annoying when you're as OCD about disc scratches as I am. Though I prefer overlap sets (especially if they DO have the booklets, like most of my Funi such releases do)over the "book" sets that used to be common ways to make "complete collection" sets, as the "pages" in the book were poorly made. An example would be the original Complete Collection of Geneshaft by Bandai.(Speaking of physical extras, maybe someday Sentai Filmworks can give us dvd booklets again, instead of giant blocks of tough styrofoam in their place, something they were forced to do with Clannad After Story)
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I've been using "stack-pak" to refer to a package where there is a cutout for just one DVD in the plastic, and a really long protruding spindle which allows multiple DVDs to be stacked on top of each other. I get the idea that what I'm calling a "stack-pak" you're referring to as a spindle pack. Basically what Clannad After Story is packaged in, and it sucks.

Well now, I'm all kinds of confused at this point. See, my Clannad After Story came in the DVD on both sides of the case style, not a stack or spindle pack.

I took a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about.

I bought this as soon as it came out too, so it was a first generation release as it were. I honestly haven't see a spindle pack in years. More common is the overlap packs or the book packs.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
With no convenient way to post a picture, I'll just have to describe mine relative to your picture Sad

On the left-hand side of the case, underneath of the tabs that are supposed to hold the physical extras, I have a thick piece of coarse, tough white styrofoam with large & copious pores. Even an ad would have been preferred, though that wouldn't keep the discs stationary. All discs are stuck on a spindle on the right-hand side of the case. Same deal with the original too, though I transferred that to an empty "4 dvds in a single case" pack, the type that Funimation uses for a number of its normal releases. (e.g. Vandread, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Bamboo Blade)

I obtained mine via Rightstuf, and like others who preorder from them, the UPS man dropped it off a few days before its "street date".

Now I'm confused too. This sort of case-discrepancy happened to me earlier when I compared my online (rightstuf) bought shows to store-bought shows. Well, the dub, the commentary track, and the warm feeling of satisfaction over supporting the underdog outweigh the cons of this whole scenario, those being that I just don't care for the show and I got a bum case.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
@Sailor S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GxruYXRhlY

This should give you an idea on what a STACKpak is and why it's hated by many.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I understand the kind of packaging you're talking about, and the only thing I can think to explain the discrepancy is that you seem to have bought the version with the dub. Mine is the initial, sub-only release, which was released across two volumes, so there's just the two discs per case instead of what I assume is 4 discs in the one case for the hybrid version that I'm assuming you bought. So, assuming that I have my facts straight here, I can now understand the differences in packaging.

EDIT - NJ, yeah, that's what I think of when I hear stack pack, and I agree, those are awful. I don't see that kind of packaging for too many first print runs though, which I usually buy, and I thought it had become a thing of the past since I only ever saw it in some of my older releases. I'm sad that it's seeing the light of day once more.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I understand the kind of packaging you're talking about, and the only thing I can think to explain the discrepancy is that you seem to have bought the version with the dub. Mine is the initial, sub-only release, which was released across two volumes, so there's just the two discs per case instead of what I assume is 4 discs in the one case for the hybrid version that I'm assuming you bought.
I have both the original subbed & new dubbed versions. Both are "stack-paks", both are the authentic Sentai versions, bought either from RightStuf or BestBuy.

Almost all the other Sentai releases I'm interested in are only 13 episodes, so this shouldn't be an issue. Though longer series, should Sentai again acquire some, might potentially get stack treatment and if my "luck" holds, I'll end up with them. Sigh--"If it weren't for bad luck, [I'd] have no luck at all; Gloom, despair, and agony on me."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3