• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Replacement DVDs Now Shipping

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StormSky92

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know what this "incorrect content" was?
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
Another Aniplex USA mess up? Nice to know they're sending repairs but, they really need double check things before sending them out...
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:

The wrong content on the wrong discs. Disc 1 had Disc 2 stuff and vice versa.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
I was one of the lucky peeps to get a copy with the incorrect content. It runs perfectly, and the error on their part is so freakin amusing. Anime hyper
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:

The wrong content on the wrong discs. Disc 1 had Disc 2 stuff and vice versa.

Technically, the discs were simply labeled wrong. They run perfectly fine.

Kurohei wrote:
Another Aniplex USA mess up? Nice to know they're sending repairs but, they really need double check things before sending them out...

And because it was a labeling error, it was the fault of the packaging company hired by Aniplex, not Aniplex itself. The packaging company is known to be one of the better ones out there, from the sounds of it, but no one's perfect.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
And because it was a labeling error, it was the fault of the packaging company hired by Aniplex, not Aniplex itself. The packaging company is known to be one of the better ones out there, from the sounds of it, but no one's perfect.

It's still Aniplex's responsibility to quality check the final product before shipping them out. This is simply a result of negligence on their part and should never have happened, especially considering the high prices they charge for their product.

I know that all anime retailers make mistakes as well, like FUNimation, Sentai, and most recently NISA, but it's particularly embarrassing when it happens to AoA because of all their claims and boasts of "higher quality". Once you reach a certain price point, failure becomes less and less of an option. If I'm gonna pay $100 for a bowl of soup, I expect it to be absolutely PERFECT the first time the waiter brings it to my table.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
If I'm gonna pay $100 for a bowl of soup, I expect it to be absolutely PERFECT the first time the waiter brings it to my table.

For how long have we been aware that perfection is impossible now? Centuries?
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

It's still Aniplex's responsibility to quality check the final product before shipping them out. This is simply a result of negligence on their part and should never have happened, especially considering the high prices they charge for their product.

I know that all anime retailers make mistakes as well, like FUNimation, Sentai, and most recently NISA, but it's particularly embarrassing when it happens to AoA because of all their claims and boasts of "higher quality". Once you reach a certain price point, failure becomes less and less of an option. If I'm gonna pay $100 for a bowl of soup, I expect it to be absolutely PERFECT the first time the waiter brings it to my table.

Well, the consequences will speak for themselves, for sure. People are going to rage or at least consider their reputation for their next AoA purchase.

I'm still under the impression, though, that this mistake had more positive than negative for the people who bought it. The product itself worked perfectly fine, so they literally have twice the product now. If they don't care about the labeling issue, they can just keep the mis-labeled version and sell the corrected labeled version for a slightly-cheaper price, but substantial enough to make something off it. And if they do care about the labeling, then they can sell the mis-labeled version as a "limited collectible edition" to someone who likes one-of-a-kind releases, including error products, you can't find anywhere else--for a good price, if the demand is high enough. And if it doesn't sell... well, they got two of their product they wanted and can keep it themselves. Assuming they wanted to sell it in the first place.

At least, this seems the most efficient way to deal with the "issue" for me. I can't afford a ton of Aniplex's stuff, so it'd help me buy their next Madoka release. =P
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

There is such a situation where the QC discs are fine but the retail product has flaws. The ANNCast with Robert Napton from Bandai detailed how the Haruhi S2 discs had no issues on the QC discs, but the retail discs had mono Japanese audio. Regardless, people are getting replacement discs quickly and don't have to send anything back. Problem identified and solved quickly (since it's simpler than the BD-box problem).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Well, the consequences will speak for themselves, for sure. People are going to rage or at least consider their reputation for their next AoA purchase.

I'm still under the impression, though, that this mistake had more positive than negative for the people who bought it. The product itself worked perfectly fine, so they literally have twice the product now. If they don't care about the labeling issue, they can just keep the mis-labeled version and sell the corrected labeled version for a slightly-cheaper price, but substantial enough to make something off it. And if they do care about the labeling, then they can sell the mis-labeled version as a "limited collectible edition" to someone who likes one-of-a-kind releases, including error products, you can't find anywhere else--for a good price, if the demand is high enough. And if it doesn't sell... well, they got two of their product they wanted and can keep it themselves. Assuming they wanted to sell it in the first place.

At least, this seems the most efficient way to deal with the "issue" for me. I can't afford a ton of Aniplex's stuff, so it'd help me buy their next Madoka release. =P

I think more of those errors are better. Buy disk 1 get disk 2 for free. Good deal.

At the end of the day, only the people who didn't buy it complain about it. My only complain is, i wish this error happen for the bluray version too.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

How much of this statement should be ignored based on the fact that you seem to have an axe to grind with AoA and their pricing? Rolling Eyes

Ultimately, the fact that they AoA is being proactive and doing everything they can to minimize the impact and inconvenience of the problem to those that purchased the release is great (especially given the fact that "certain" companies within the industry tend not to have that response in situations like this and have the "Yeah....we're sorry that it's not perfect, but we're not going to fix the issue. Hope it doesn't ruin the series for you!" attitude instead).
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
If I were one of the consumers influenced by this problem I would just be happy to have gotten a DVD set that works correctly. I once bought a boxed set of DVDs about railroad history from a big box store, and the sound was mixed improperly on all of them. I tried to return them, but the store wouldn't accept them. I ended up getting stuck with them, and later found out that every set from that production run had the mixing error. By comparison, this sort of correction seems relatively mild to me.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Far better than a certain UK anime distributor whose BluRay release of Un-Go won't play on Panasonic BR players. Their response was effectively "talk to the hand, the face isn't listening"
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'm a little curious how that can even happen. Isn't BD based around an industrial standard? I would expect that all parts would have to be compatible in the same way that CD players are based on the so-called Red Book encoding format standard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1