• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Star Trek Actor Petitions Against Akira 'Whitewashing'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:36 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the original Akira, but my problem with Hollywood trying to remake or "adapt" things is that they don't have respect for the source material.
A good example of this is Michael Bay, he could care less about Transformers, yet he's making them and they are making him tons of money. My question is, is there really no producer/director/screewriter that actually likes anime and that will respect the source material? Even if they did change it and just kept the original idea, but as long as they treated the property with respect, is that too much to ask?
I mean, the only reason why I am mildly interested in the Cowboy Bebop movie which probably would never happen, but if it did, was because say what you want about Keanu Reeves and his acting, at least he's professed his love for the series, so you know that he knows the story and would hope that any changes done to the story would be intentional and knowingly.
To me, it all comes down to respect, and Hollywood is seriously lacking that.
From what I read, for example, the movie 21, which is supposed to be based on a true story features a mostly non-Asian cast, when from what I read, the real 21 was an all-Asian group...
But to me, since anime characters don't have any racial defining features, I wouldn't care if the person they cast was non-Asian as long as the essence of the character remained the same. Eve nif they kept the characters original names, as long as the actor playing the character can believe and make us for get that he's not what he's saying he is, then I think talent and dedication should win over races, but again, only and only if they are respecting the source material or else there is no point in doing anything.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
DoktorZetsubou wrote:
Please excuse me if I've misunderstood something and come off as insensitive because of it, but I thought this Akira adaptation was set to take place in the US.
I don't think that means it's okay not to have any diversity at all, but if the film is set in the US, doesn't it make sense to have white actors?

I mean, if it was set in Japan and starred entirely non-Japanese actors that'd be one thing, but this strikes me as not that big of an issue outside of pure fanboy rage ("WHAT?! AMERICAN MOVIE OF A JAPANESE CLASSIC?! THEY'LL RUIN IT!")

That is not the point. When Hollywood decided to use original Japanese material almost exactly as it is and making insensitive casting call for main protagonist, it becomes a hotbed issue. Why is that?

The title name, AKIRA, always invokes the image that is always been known to many people. It's the ultimate animation spectacle that can stand on its own with likes of many great films. That's why people can't stand whitewashing.

If Hollywood uses the different title and character names, then people wouldn't express their rage.

To eyes of Asian Americans, Hollywood has not been treating Asian-made story materials with dignity and respect. Hollywood has not given serious respect for the titles that many young Asian Americans love. Just look at that awful live-action Dragonball movie. Also Hollywood have been remaking those Japanese horror movies to their image.

In case of Akira, Hollywood is just trying to cash-in the generational franchise and its embedded cult status without giving a deeper thought.

Last edited by reanimator on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
NewAgeNewtype

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote
Instead of racebending we can call it "race-espers." wait, wait. Neo-Honky Town.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:59 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Who cares?

I'm serious, why do people care so much? We all know this movie is going to be horrid anyway - no matter actor ethnicity.
Ah but people care about ethnicity and race and all of that socially constructed crap! How can we as a society properly set up quotas for which group needs more representation in which profession or media without paying attention to these vitally important issues like skin color and eye shape and where someone's ancestors came from!

My God, without paying attention to these things, we might actually cast movies based solely on acting ability! The horror! Wink

Okay, seriously, I mostly agree with TitanXL, except I am willing to believe Hollywood might actually screw up and make a decent movie (hey it happens!)

Honestly, I don't think this is worth being bothered by unless you can show that the Hollywood suits are actively discriminating based on ethnicity and race factors. Generally speaking, I think they're discrimating based on bad marketing research and openning day box office predicitions based on "star power." I believe if the suits thought hiring Japanese actors would make the movie a money-maker, they'd do it.

That being posted, I do wish the studios would take a moment to try and diversify their casts. While I'm not in favor of any sort of quota or requirement that characters be one particular type of human or another, I do wish the people in charge would have some variety in their casts.

I, for one, would like to see some new faces mixed in with the BIG NAMES. Way too many casts where every character with more than two lines is a multi-million a movie actor.
ommadon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
I hope its like Easy Rider except violent with teen gangs, psychic children, and an angry military guy. Set in a dystopian future america desperate for a new powerful psychic weapon. That weapon giving them military might beyond any other nation... wait america is already a superpower with WMD, how can this premise even work?!
NewAgeNewtype

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Who cares?

I'm serious, why do people care so much? We all know this movie is going to be horrid anyway - no matter actor ethnicity.
Ah but people care about ethnicity and race and all of that socially constructed crap! How can we as a society properly set up quotas for which group needs more representation in which profession or media without paying attention to these vitally important issues like skin color and eye shape and where someone's ancestors came from!

My God, without paying attention to these things, we might actually cast movies based solely on acting ability! The horror! Wink

pretty much, I mean who cares about a works background and meaning. Read in some random blog about akira having something to do with japan and foreign influence, its reaction to nuclear shenanigans and some other jargon pertaining to japan(i read all this on the internet so it was probably fake anyway).

oh wait, its all taking place in neo-yark so I guess its meaningless now. I am assuming they will change the kids to a middle eastern nationality and tetsuo becoming a terrorist

but who cares about that and the meaning being lost as long as we get some good white actors (cause none good asian actors exist that aren't hot asian bitches).

i has dream of a world where we cast actors for their acting ability and not their appearance. I will never see a proper Martin Luther King movie being played by Tom Hanks
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
What I think is really bothering people is that they haven't announced any name changes. The idea of white actors playing characters named Kaneda and Tetsuo is quite bothersome. I think we've entered an era where authenticity in terms of ethnicity in casting can no longer be ignored. The films 21 and The Last Airbender were pretty much the last straw.

As a fan of Akira, I really don't want to see that kind of attention given to that franchise. Even if the film takes place in the U.S., there's no reason why Kaneda and Tetsuo can't still be Japanese. There are countless talented English speaking Japanese actors that would more than suit the role. They can't be brushed for a "safe" and "marketable" direction.
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if anyone follows Takei here, but I believe this isn't merely "petition just because it's white actors!". This originally started from the movie moving from Tokyo to New York. And then the subsequent changes that followed were tacked on and the biggest one that stuck out was the word 'whitewash'. Yes he wants Asian actors to play in an movie that was originally about Asians. But this started because they were changing a lot of things about the movie at first.

And besides, anyone that says movies with an Asian cast can't do well are ridiculous. People know names like Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Lee, Chow Yun Fat, Lucy Liu, and Ziyi Zhang to name a few. And let's not forget about movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon which was SUBTITLED and had a HUGE buzz when it came out. Granted, different times, different circumstances, but still it's not impossible.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quote
Who cares if they use white actors or not. I also don't like how everyone is jumping on the bandwagon that it is going to be bad. I mean yea some others have not been so good, but eventually someone has to get it right and make a good movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, I never liked Star Trek nor cared about any of the actors except Nemoy but that's only because he played Galvatron.

But I like that someone well-known is speaking out against this damn movie. So he's got my support.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, what the hell makes the people in Hollywood think they can make good adaptations of Japanese works when they can't even make half-decent movie adaptations of American stuff 99.999% of the time?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
[quote="Zac"]
Saturn wrote:
Witness the people who still go "UGH LEONARDO DICAPRIO" every time his name is mentioned because they're clinging to some vague "I'm annoyed by Titanic" feeling from more than a decade ago.

Then again, his acting skills hasn't improved since. I found myself fast forwarding thru a good portion of The Departed because of his bad acting. And Inception.....waste of a rental and a night.
Fellistowe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Witness the people who still go "UGH LEONARDO DICAPRIO" every time his name is mentioned because they're clinging to some vague "I'm annoyed by Titanic" feeling from more than a decade ago.

Yeah, I'll put my hand up to that one; it took watching Inception for me to start giving the guy some serious Kudos as an actor.

As others have said though, if you want this movie to be a blockbuster it's going to have to be Americanised to hell and back to stand a chance. Personally I don't care too much, it's to be expected anyway, and if it results in a lot of people who have never heard of Akira getting interested and hunting down the original and then really getting into anime, then it's done a good job.

As for white actors playing 'Kaneda' and 'Tetsuo', for all we know they could just be using these as character reference names at the moment, and by the time it's been re-written they'll end up as 'Jake' and 'Frank'.
My tip for reworking it, both characters can be kind of otaku'ish and have Kaneda and Tetsuo as their handles Very Happy
CannedJam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:12 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't you all want the best actors for the film? I would. Now what if the best actors to audition happen to be white? Isn't it better to have a *insert race* actor who can act so well that you don't even realize (or care enough to realize) their awkwardly Asian name as opposed to an Asian actor who has skills that aren't worth watching? I'm excited for the movie. They can, and probably will, change the movie up, but it'll still be Akira at it's core.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
I like the assumption in this thread that there are no "good" Asian actors and that's why white dudes have to play the characters. In a thread about a famous Asian actor.
NewAgeNewtype

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
I like the assumption in this thread that there are no "good" Asian actors and that's why white dudes have to play the characters. In a thread about a famous Asian actor.

see

atunderdogk wrote:
People know names like Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Lee, Chow Yun Fat, Lucy Liu, and Ziyi Zhang to name a few. And let's not forget about movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

the only thing asian actors are good for is kung fu fighting and shaking their 11 year old size breasts. a film like Akira that requires acting can't be played by asians. we need GOOD actors
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12