• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre Picks Up Filmation Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
No, its not anime, not even tengential, but I figured many of our 25~35 year old readers would find this somewhat interesting.

-t
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
I want She Ra on DVD!!! Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dachande

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
Freakin sweet, Ghostbusters. If its the one I remember I'm definatly getting the DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
It's the (Go-Go) Ghostbusters series with the big gorilla, based on an obscure 1970s live-action children's TV series of the same name.

Columbia, which distributes the Real Ghostbusters TV series, had to pay to use the name for the Ghostbusters movie, even though there's no real connection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrfood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy! boxed sets of Jason of Star Command and Uncle Croc's Block. Laughing
mrakai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Columbia, which distributes the Real Ghostbusters TV series, had to pay to use the name for the Ghostbusters movie, even though there's no real connection.

The characters in RGB are the same as the GB movies (Egon, etc) complete with Lorezno Music doing a pretty good Bill Murray if I recall.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I meant there's no connection between the Ghostbusters movie, which begat The Real Ghostbusters cartoon, and the 1970s live-action Ghost Busters TV show, which begat the Filmation (Go Go) Ghostbusters series, and Columbia had to pay whomever controlled the rights to the 1970s Ghost Busters series to use the name "Ghostbusters" for their movie.

Obviously, I know The Real Ghostbusters is based directly on the Ivan Reitman movie everyone knows and loves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Defiant7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I remember the Filmation's Ghostbusters from when I was a kid. I think I will buy the DVDs for nostalgia sake if and when they come out.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
The only title I recognize is She-Ra, and I didn't even watch that cartoon series, I mainly watched He-Man.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I meant there's no connection between the Ghostbusters movie, which begat The Real Ghostbusters cartoon, and the 1970s live-action Ghost Busters TV show, which begat the Filmation (Go Go) Ghostbusters series, and Columbia had to pay whomever controlled the rights to the 1970s Ghost Busters series to use the name "Ghostbusters" for their movie.

Obviously, I know The Real Ghostbusters is based directly on the Ivan Reitman movie everyone knows and loves.

So THAT'S how that worked. I always wondered how they were able to get away with that awful Filmation Ghostbusters show when I was a kid. I always thought the makers of the movie should have sued their pants off for using the name...turns out it would have been the other way around. Life's funny.

Real Ghostbusters was easily my favorite cartoon growing up. I hope someone puts it on DVD someday.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Real Ghostbusters was sweet - it used to be on Saturday mornings on ABC. But it started going down hill when it became more and more about slimer.

Is this ghostbusters the one with 2 guys in an old model T type car? If so, I remember it - barely, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bravestar yet - this one was sort of cool - eyes of a hawk or eagle, or something. I remember running to the bus stop with speed of a puma! He was a good role model for native american sheriffs.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote
One thing that's remarkable and more than a little annoying is that according to the Filmation entry in Wikipedia, previous owner Hallmark made digital PAL tapes and discarded all the original film. This means NTSC versions of those shows will forever run 4% faster than they're supposed to, because of the frame-rate mismatch between PAL and NTSC, with no chance to make new NTSC masters from the originals.

Not that any of these shows were great - the best (Fat Albert, Star Trek) are merely not bad, and the worst (Brady Kids, Gilligan's Planet, Ark II, New Adventures of Batman) are stunningly bad - but they were so widely viewed in their time that they may hold a lot of nostalgia value.
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Hell, I'll be glad to see releases of Shazam, Isis, Ark II, Jason of Star Command, Space Academy, and especially the animated Flash Gordon serial, which was quoted to be by far the closest adaptation of any of the versions made to the comic series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1