• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 10

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
original timestamp

fansub:
I'm so happy to meet someone else who can see this town isn't right! No matter who I told, they just made fun of me. I was ready to kill myself there! I did manage to dodge the snake, though.

Hint #1: spoiler[This 25 years old German dojikko is soon saved from her plight by the shota protagonist and the twin-tails and zettai ryouiki wearing female lead.]

Hint #2: spoiler[The villainess the 2 addressees are about to fight develops a crush on one and dresses the other in goth loli fashion.]

Hint #3: spoiler[This gothic-horror themed shounen action series is named after a novel by an (in)famous homosexual Victorian era playwright.]

Hint #4: spoiler[Despite having over 100 episodes, this TV series did not continue from its cliffhanger ending, likely because of the many hiatuses the manga was put on because of the author's health problems.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
I'm going to assume that the obvious series is the correct one. I'm also going to assume that only one correct addressee is needed for an answer to be acceptable, although I'll attempt to give them both.

spoiler[Miranda speaking to Allen Walker and Lenalee, D.Gray-man. I believe they are about to fight Road, the villainess mentioned in the second hint.]

Edit: cleaned up wording, but actual answer was not changed.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
That is correct, for both addressees.

I am not seeing how the hints are being stretched.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
I call foul, since Allen doesn't look at all like a shouta.

Anyway, open turn.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
I disagree: Allen is presented as a cute boy, and possibly referred to as such by the characters in the story. But even if you are correct about his not being a shota, that is still far from "the rest of the clues don't fit at all"
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
^
I wasn't the one who said that.

But I will say that you did provide false information in your first hint.

Allen looks like this:

And this:

Cute? Arguably yes. A shouta? No. Just no. Shoutas are supposed to be - or at the very least look like - prepubescent boys. Allen might be cute but he's still obviously a teenager.

It may not seem like a big deal to you, but because of your mistake I wasted time looking at other series because Allen was too old to fit your hint. I could have narrowed the series down far earlier if you hadn't mislabeled him. Then, once I realised that it had to be D.Gray-man, I wasted even more time looking through character bios to confirm that spoiler[Road indeed had a crush on him.]

Please be more careful with your hints in the future.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Given what you were banned for, I don't think it makes much sense for you to complain about people wasting folks' time in the guessing games.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Shota can also refer to puberscent boys, which generally occurs in the teenage years. Allen certainly does not look like he has gone through puberty in that first picture, nor does he sound like it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Only half of those episodes are available in the US, BTW.

But I have to agree with dtm42 on this one: I never thought of Allen Walker as being a shota. And while I can understand that Raftina might see him that way, I'm willing to bet most people would not, and so the hint would make no sense to most of the people seeing it.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I only read the manga, but I thought Allen was pretty shouta in the early volumes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also gotta call BS. We see Allen as a shota at one point during the flashbacks with Mana, but normally he's not. He's baby faced, sure, but that just makes him a bishonen.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Given what you were banned for, I don't think it makes much sense for you to complain about people wasting folks' time in the guessing games.

I never once made something up.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Yeah, I also gotta call BS. We see Allen as a shota at one point during the flashbacks with Mana, but normally he's not. He's baby faced, sure, but that just makes him a bishonen.

Interesting that you should mention the term bishounen.

Here is Allen standing besides a bishounen, from the last episode: http://s231.photobucket.com/user/rdestiny/media/aniquiz/annchars/allen02_zpsd3b78216.jpg.html

Here is Allen in the first ED: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/rdestiny/aniquiz/annchars/allen01_zpsbcdf9f6e.jpg

You see a noticeable elongation of the face from the beginning to the end--and this can also be seen by contrasting dtm42's first picture to the one from the last episode, or even the two he posted, for that matter. The longer and sharper facial features--the opposite of baby faced--characterize bishounens in D.Gray Man.

As rheiders noted, the difference is more noticeable in the manga, where Allen was clearly meant to appear as a boy, not a teenage bishounen. This is reflected in the anime design, though not as noticeable without contrasting how he appears.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Still, shota's common usage refers to young boys, usually 12 and under, who actually look the part (really tiny, and such). Isn't Allen called "bean sprout" because he's tall and thin? I don't think anyone would mistake him for an elementary schooler (a woman, for sure).

Anyways, you weren't lying or purposely being misleading because you were making a statement you believed to be true. A lot of us don't agree, though.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Allen is too shota, even for Chagen

Honestly, I too call BS. When I hear "shota shonen protagonist" I think more of Tsunayoshi (and that's stretching it a little) not Allen
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 73 of 100