• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Picked up Gakuen Polizi 1 and Comic 5 in Glasgow today.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Taking advantage of the Sentai Sale I picked up Maoyu Complete Collection and pre-ordered Rozen Maiden: Zuruckspulen Complete Collection and Short Peace.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I too picked up Maoyu and Star Blazers 2199 disc 3 this week.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
On one hand, my Toradora box set has shipped. And on the other, I filled out my Sentai sale order for BDs into October.

Mayo Chiki!
Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?
Majestic Prince {Now that I think about it, I forgot part 2. To the catalogue!}
Gatchaman Crowds
Sunday Without God
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Oh and Ringing Bell arrived today! Hooray! Off to depress myself on that, lol!

Ooh! I had almost forgotten that it had been released. I've very much been looking forward to cute things becoming horrifying and depressing.

Man, it's such a good thing that I'll probably never have children.

classicalzawa wrote:
Other
Saga 1-3 TPB
I rented the first two from the library, I don't do many American comics, but I really did enjoy what I read.

I keep hearing about that one and the author's prior series, Y the Last Man. I really think that I should read more American comics since there seems to be some very excellent books one you get out from the shadow of the capes, but I have sort of a block against it. (I tried last year with Ultra: Seven Days and Girls by the Luna Brothers, but wasn't very taken with them) I did pitch in to the Strong Female Protagonist Kickstarter campaign

st_owly wrote:
Picked up Gakuen Polizi 1 ...in Glasgow today.

Please let me know what you think of that one. It's admittedly fait accompli that I'll read it, because Yuri, but some advance opinion from a trusted source is usually nice to have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I read it on the train home, and to be honest, there's not very much yuri in that volume. It's very much a straight man/fool couple, even more so than Girl Friends. Nonetheless, it's cute, and there's hints of a tragic past for the stoic one, so hopefully we'll find out what the deal with her is. I just hope it wasn't cut short by the magazine as the next volume is the final one, as there's a lot that could be done I think.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
School Days Complete Collection
Star Blazers 2199 BD 3

Shipped out.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
@Surrender Artist

Sea Prince and the Fire Child was also depressing, I don't know what was up with Sanrio at that time.

I don't read too many US comics, but the library helped me on Saga. I did rent Y: The Last Man, but want to rent some more of that before I'm 100% sold.

Have you at least read Jeff Smith's Bone? That one read a lot like a manga to me (and you can get a black and white 1300 page omnibus for $20 if you shop around, it was originally black and white and only colored later for Scholastic).

Anyway, bought myself a few "gifts" online, things that were on my Otakon wish list as is, I'm trying to knock out some items from that list before Otakon (for manga, it's mostly at my local comic shop with their half off sales, which knocked quite a few off yesterday and I'll hit them once more before Otakon if I can and they're having a sale, helps out with the new stuff greatly. Will also be hitting a cool used bookstore on the way to visit my uncle in New Hampshire later in July). Anyway, the gifts were A, A' (to match my recent Four Shojo Stories acquisition), and Twin Spica art book, which exists! And made me very happy to learn! Most of my art books are Japanese, on the basis that they are mostly art and all my favorite series that have art books never seem to come out over here anyway. I think Oban Star-Racers and RahXephon are two of the few English art books I have (and the Avatar ones, but that doesn't count)
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Twin Spica art book

Does the place you got it from still have any? If not, what's the ISBN?

For me, the first part of Cat's Eye is winging on its way to me at the moment. I've also ordered Mononoke and I keep checking RightStuf to see if they got it in early. Got the Short Peace blu-ray in the current Section23 sale and I threw in the Lucky Star OVA. Now if I could just find V.6.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Sorry, the seller doesn't have any more, and I don't see the ISBN on the listing I bought. I just plain don't see any more on eBay, sadly. When it comes in, I can check the book for the ISBN then and pm you it.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
I never got around to checking my mailbox yesterday, but when I did this morning, I was happily surprised to find this waiting there for me:

I didn't even know that it has been shipped out, but I'm glad to at last get something tangible for my AnimeSols pledges. (Cool, attractive people will be able to spot my name among the backers) I think that I'll wait until I get the rest to watch it.

classicalzawa wrote:
@Surrender Artist

Sea Prince and the Fire Child was also depressing, I don't know what was up with Sanrio at that time.

Must have been like me in sophomore year of college... and most of graduate school... and the two years alternating between unemployment and odd jobs after graduate school... and the summer of 2012... and the fall of 2013 through winter of 2014... and last month... and Tuesday...

Errr, I mean, then I might order that too. Ringing Bell caught more attention more, but is they're something like two of a kind, it's probably worth my while.

classicalzawa wrote:
Have you at least read Jeff Smith's Bone? That one read a lot like a manga to me (and you can get a black and white 1300 page omnibus for $20 if you shop around, it was originally black and white and only colored later for Scholastic).

I've heard of it, but never read it. The cartoonish artwork has tended to deter me, even though I've seen raves about it from here to eternity. It's something that I would surely enjoy, but will have to overcome my arbitrary mental blocks against before I can. Besides, I'm not sure when I'd have the time; people keep trying to bury me in shōjo epics as it is!

I'd swear that somebody used to parade around here with a Bone avatar...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
When it comes in, I can check the book for the ISBN then and pm you it.

Yes, please.

Surrender Artist: Mine came in today. When I saw it, I was trying to think of what it was that I bought from RightStuf. I was just wondering the other day when Dear Brother was to be arriving.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Finally got myself a 3DS so I bought some games over the weekend:

-Pokémon Black
-Pokémon Soul Silver, complete with Pokewalker
-Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
-Etrian Odyssey Untold, complete with CD and artbook

Now I'm waiting on an offer I submitted for Radiant Historia
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
you should buy senran kagura if you are going to own a 3DS
or that luigi game

I got a bunch of cards in
they are such a waste of money
toradora arrived, it is very heavy, maybe because of the art book

Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2 blu-ray set 2

Had a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card and their price was comparable to other stores. Also got a two month trial B&N membership to get the free express shipping.

Only weird part was how I ordered on Saturday night but didn't get a shipping notice until this morning. And less than an hour after reading the message, it was delivered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1146 of 1400