• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
Cleaning my room and decided to fill in some gaps in my various collections/early birthday presents

Anime: Area 88 volume 3

Manga: Cross Game volume 6 to finish the set

Comics: All New Ms. Marvel issues 4,5, All-new She-Hulk 5, All-New NightCrawler 2, Lucha Libre issue 1, Kyle Baker's Plastic Man #7, Nightcrawler mini-series 1,4, Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom #1, New Mutants #1, Power Pack (yes, I know...) #1

Video Games: Unlimited Saga (PS2) , Kao Kangaroo (Dreamcast), Boulder Dash EX (GBA remake of an Amstrad game)

Figma Levi came in the mail today , with figma Shimakaze, nendoroid Binchou-tan (great underrated series), and a figure of Kumagawa Misogi from Medaka Box.

And finally, I bought a Pop! Magic the Gathering figure of Ajani Goldmane for a friend.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The motherboard on my bedroom TV fried out (again - second time in less than a year), so I figured rather than having it fixed again, I'll just splurge for a new one. It was a 5-year-old 40" Samsung LCD. Picture and sound were decent, but the thing ran hot as shit and would elevate the temperature in my room by at least 10 degrees. So I figured I'd move my living room TV (40" Samsung LED which runs relatively cooler) to the bedroom and I'd see what's new on the market for the living room. Researched briefly before heading to Best Buy where I found this 42" Vizio LED set for $499. 1080p, 240hz refresh rate, Full Array back lighting (as opposed to typical corner lighting), 4 HDMI ins, and built-in wifi w/ netflix/pandora/youtube/etc. Nothing else in this size and with these features was even close to the price, so I checked some reviews on my phone while in the store and they were all pretty positive. Picked it up, brought it home, mounted it, and so far, so good. Still gotta play around with the picture options to optimize my various viewing experiences. Only thing that's lacking right off the bat is the sound, but I have a 3.1 system that I use anyway, so it makes no difference really. Very pleased with the look and the features (Netflix setup was easy thanks the the full qwerty keyboard on the back of the remote! And it streams flawlessly), and for this price, it was a steal (plus if it goes on sale on the 4th of July, I can have the difference refunded!).

TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
After a holiday and a couple of weekends away I have now managed to scrape together some change to grab some volumes I missed out on:

Soul Eater 19 & 20
Btoom 6
Magi 6
From the New World 4
Attack on Titan 12
Flowers of Evil 9
No.6 6 & 7
My Little Monster 2
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin 6
Watamote 3

More volumes to add to the backlog Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
A second, smaller Sentai set from the Rightstuf sale:

Majestic Prince BD 2
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya BD

Some clean-up from Amazon:

Galaxy Angel X
Rio: Rainbow Gate

A "Why not?" order off of Ebay:

5 Hare + Guus
3 Miami Guns
2 Risky Safetys

Even if I don't manage to get the rest of Hare and Guu or Miami Guns, this will still be pretty much free somehow.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I ordered some stuff during the Sentai sale, and I couldn't help myself to snag a few extra things.

Rightstuf:
Another BD
Flowers of Evil BD
From the New World BD Collection 2
Honey and Clover DVD Set 1 (Revisiting this show will be such a nostalgia bomb for me)
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit BD Complete Series (thanks Viz)
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit DVD 7-8 + Artbox (because it was $5 and looks pretty, sue me)
Short Peace BD

Amazon:
Occult Academy BD Premium Edition (I realized I actually wanted the show and a glimpse of the architectural design sketches in the artbook months after this edition sold out, and I regret not snagging this sooner. Oh well.)

I got some headphones, a cheap charger for my Mac, and since the Barnes & Noble Criterion Collection Sale is the only reason I look forward to July, 5 movies in blu-ray. Such a large haul...
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
Picked up Crimson Spell 4, Nisekoi 4, Tiger and Bunny 5 and Kekkaishi 9.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
Bought various things over the last couple of weeks

Samurai Deeper Kyo DVD 4
Attack on Titan Part 1 LE
Fate/zero Part 1 BD Collector's Edition
Squid Girl S1 Collection R2 DVD
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch PS3
Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky PS3
Child of Light Deluxe Edition PS3

Pre-ordered the Attack on Titan ARTFXJ Levi figure.
And after fighting the urge to pre-order them for a while now, I finally caved after watching the first episode of the new season today. Yes... I pre-ordered the Free! Makoto and Haruka figures.

I still remember when I vowed to myself that I wouldn't buy figures anymore because I was spending too much money on them. What went wrong...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
I’ve so enjoyed my most recent manga binge that I’ve decided to extend it. As such, I placed a quite large order at Amazon yesterday. This will probably be the last manga that I ever read in my current residence, so I think it fitting to see it out in grand style. It has been work, this ate my entire media budget for the month of July and then some up.

Manga
Cindaralla
Flowers & Bees (volumes 1~7)
Little Fluffy Gigolo Pelu (Volumes 1 & 2).
Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths
Vinland Saga (omnibuses 2 & 3)

I happily read Junko Mizuno’s other twisted up fairy tales, Hansel & Gretel and Princess Mermaid three years ago. Reinterpreting the traditional darkness of traditional fairy tales through a dark, weird and flatly unashamed perspective produces the most fascinating results. The extra care that the Ms. Mizuno took to adapt the work to an American version adds some charm and is weirdly sweet.

Having read Sakuran and Insufficient Direction has made me very enthusiastic about Moyoco Anno. She has a sharp, insightful, but critical and never too reverential eye for character as well as the confidence to say what she see with it. I appreciate, both intellectual and viscerally, her feminist perspective and sexual frankness. I became intrigued by Bees & Flowers in particular after I read Jason Thompson’s column about it. The subject of the manga is an inscrutable one to me that I have heretofore been incurious toward and remain disinterested in, but for the moment I’d like to know a little more about just what the Hell everybody else is doing and Moyoco Anno seems like a canny, worldly lecturer on the subject.

Junko Mizuno shares some of the same appeal as Moyoco Anno, although it manifests differently. Ms. Mizuno’s stories are more out and proud bonkers, as is presumably the case with Little Fluffy Gigolo Pelu, which is about a testicle that somehow become autonomous. This is another case where a column by Jason Thompson has provoked my interest. Ms. Mizuno quite evidently draws her female characters with a sexually admiring eye, but I suspect that the admiration goes deeper than that because her women are very female, but seldom demure or retiring; in fact they’re often uncommonly badass. As much as I may be averse to the adolescent prurience so common in anime and manga, I cannot deny that I totally dig the wild, pulpy, exaggerated unabashed sexuality of the characters in Junko Mizuno’s stories.

I really hope that I can get my hands on Pure Trance some day and that she’ll draw more stories.

Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths is a departure from the frankly feminine quality of the first three titles on this list. It’s nevertheless a fascinating prospect in its own way. As a contemporary middle-class white American, war, much less a war that has become hopeless is an inconceivable prospect to me, hence my curiosity about this. I have no interest in judgement or the minutiae of combat, but the meaning and feeling of such a harrowing, deeply personal experience could be profoundly effective and even enlightening. I also want to have a better sense of the Japanese perspective on the war as that front seems to get less attention to the humanity of its combatants than the European one.

There’s less meaning behind my buying Vinland Saga than there is the rest of this list, but I don’t need too much substance to lie behind my wanting to read about badass Vikings being totally badass in a bigass medieval epic. I’ve been a sucker for this sort of thing since I was a boy. The story has been satisfyingly assembled thus far and these hardcover omnibus editions have suitable epic heft to them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
A couple manga:
Soul Eater Vol 9
Durarara!! Saika Arc Vol 2
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
As the Ebay deal worked out with Hare and Guu, I'm getting the remaining four DVDs new {or maybe "new", I'll find out} off of Amazon for a grand total of 40 dollars {the Space Pirate Mito + Pair of Queens complete collection for free shipping. I liked it but then again, I like Hare + Guu} for the complete 7 DVDs+ two OVAs.

Which is just a bit more than the fourth DVD of Miami Guns would cost. I did not see that one coming.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Saw the local comic shop got a bunch of used anime in. Shame I didn't see earlier though (you'll see why below)

Anime:
Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure 1, 2, 3 (I saw 4 in their pics, but if I had known earlier... it was gone by the time I got there, but these were $5 each, so not bad at all. I had remember seeing this on Anime Unleashed many a year ago)
Harmageddon $5 (I secretly wanted this after the joy that was Genma Wars
Rin: The Daughters of Mnemosyne $10
s.TRA.in $10)
Uta Kata $15
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Bought some cool stuff today, including yet another short comic box. This is my sixth one, dammit! But I made sure this one can fit the oversize VIZ SIG sized manga, that will help greatly! That means I can put funny sized books and massive hardcovers on the shelves instead now.

My Little Pony: Friends Forever 1-I swear there's so many of these that I don't even know what sub series are coming out until I see them in TPB form
Adolf 1 Cadence Edition HC-Yes, I do own Vertical's release. And yes, I haven't had the balls to even attempt to read it again after that one time I rented it from my university library because it's frankly one of the most depressing manga out there. Damn good, but damn depressing. But I wanted it! And it was $5!
A, A' it arrived today!

Toradora Premium set 1 & 2 Y'know that subscriber thread? Sometimes people post ads for things they are giving away there. What with people upgrading to the new set, and me not caring about dub or sub, and although I finally got a PS3, I still seem to watch most anime on my laptop with only a DVD drive, I am quite pleased indeed!
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Just preordered the first Sailor Moon blu ray set at right stuf. I still can't believe it's really happening.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:34 am Reply with quote
Found at my front door a package from RS containing all 4 DVD sets of NANA. I didn't think it was going to come today as I was expecting it more for Monday because of the holiday. Anyways, I'm happy to finally have my mitts on this show and happy with the price I paid.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
Since a promotional code (AX10) for the FUNIMation store was shared and for the moment seems to work, I took advantage of it to pre-order the second Attack on Titan collector's edition. Mmmmm, sexy artbox. Boo-yeah badass fighter girl and female Titan!

Anime
Attack on Titan (Collections edition, part 2)

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar code is issued during Otakon, but unless it provides a larger discount for some reason, which I doubt, there's no reason not to leap at this opportunity.

One-Eye wrote:
Found at my front door a package from RS containing all 4 DVD sets of NANA. I didn't think it was going to come today as I was expecting it more for Monday because of the holiday. Anyways, I'm happy to finally have my mitts on this show and happy with the price I paid.

Fortunate one! NANA has been at the back of my mind for a while, but I haven't yet put my mind to thinking about whether I'd want to try it or not. I hope it pays off for you. If it does, I might want to make it pay off for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1147 of 1400