• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Since a promotional code (AX10) for the FUNIMation store was shared and for the moment seems to work, I took advantage of it to pre-order the second Attack on Titan collector's edition. Mmmmm, sexy artbox. Boo-yeah badass fighter girl and female Titan!

Anime
Attack on Titan (Collections edition, part 2)

I caved and bought another with the 10% discount after buying one yesterday at the regular sale price. I guess I'll sell one on ebay for a small profit (or, if the part 1 LE set I have up now hasn't sold by then, I'll sell the both of them together as a complete set and make a little bit more of a profit).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Besides Anime Expo, this weekend was also Anime Midwest. My husband and I went for our honeymoon trip. It was a fun weekend of panels, meeting voice actors and getting their autographs, and shopping around their much larger dealer's room. Sadly, he didn't find anything he was really interested in (he's super, duper picky), but I found plenty. :p Afterward, we also went to the bookstore inside of Mitsuwa, and then to our local anime store and spent the gift certificate I won in their cosplay contest last month.

I picked up:

DVD:
Magic Knight Rayearth Season 1 DVD Set (the 15th anniversary set; now to start the search for Season 2...)
Miyuki-chan in Wonderland DVD
Fairy Tail the Movie: Phoenix Priestess Blu-Ray/DVD Combo

Manga:
King of Bandit Jing: Twilight Tales Vol. 3
Soul Eater NOT! Vols. 1-2
Fairy Tail Vol. 4
Glass Mask Vol. 1
(I'm working on collecting all of the volumes, since I seriously doubt it'll ever get an English release)

Figures/Other:
Dark Magician Girl and Fennekin
Cardcaptor Sakura
Lucy Heartfilia
Wallscroll of Loke and Lucy
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Found at my front door a package from RS containing all 4 DVD sets of NANA. I didn't think it was going to come today as I was expecting it more for Monday because of the holiday. Anyways, I'm happy to finally have my mitts on this show and happy with the price I paid.

Fortunate one! NANA has been at the back of my mind for a while, but I haven't yet put my mind to thinking about whether I'd want to try it or not. I hope it pays off for you. If it does, I might want to make it pay off for me.

I've previously seen NANA and that's why I had to pick it up. I've been waiting almost 2-3 years for the prices to drop. I think at one point the sets were going something like $30-40 each. So $15.99 each was like a bargain to me. Once you get past the first couple of episodes NANA gets very addicting. What I found successful about the show is that you have two main characters which seem very different come to have a very strong friendship that feels genuine. In part I think this is because the writing of the show is pretty good at convincing us of this. Its also played straight most of the time when it would have been easy to make this a purely comedy series with two opposites living together in an almost Odd-Couple (Felix Unger-Oscar Madison) relationship. The way that the supporting cast is used is also pretty smart as it gives you insight into people's motivations and personalities. The Japanese cast was pretty excellent and I look forward to putting aside some time and rewatching the show to see how the English Dub fares. My only gripe is how the show ends in its somewhat ambiguous open-ended way. Alas the mangaka had become ill and this is probably why we will never get a complete ending to either the anime or manga. The manga has a few extra chapters that explains somethings in better detail and I think helps present one of the characters in a better light. I've been on the fence about whether to purchase the manga or not. On the one hand, its easier for me to revisit a manga than an anime. On the other hand, I recently moved (and downsized) so space considerations are now an issue.

Please let us know what you think about Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths when you finish it. I read it when it first came out and it was interesting, most notably the afterword by the author. I found that the touch of the personal gave the situation a greater perspective.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:

DVD:
Magic Knight Rayearth Season 1 DVD Set (the 15th anniversary set; now to start the search for Season 2...)

I wish you better luck than what I had; After half a year, I eventually gave up on the Remastered season 2 set and settled on the behemoth, oddly packaged version.

I've never seen a DVD case designed to break and warp so easily and you have to take it apart because they flaps have no hinges. It's the only DVD case I own that's worse than the spindle pack.

I should have paid the extra hundred dollars for the rare remastered one. No, really no but sometimes...
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
I finally got around to nabbing the Madoka dubbed movie LE from RightStuf, adding on priority shipping to get it as quickly as possible. Honestly Aniplex, leave my wallet alone for a while!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
My pre-orders I made for these Sentai titles off Rightstuf a few months ago have either shipped or are about to ship soon:

Love Lab
Short Peace
Problem Children are Coming from Another World
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
Having a great month of selling so far on ebay, so I picked up Honey and Clover complete series DVD set (vols. 1-3).
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered @ TRSI:

Sailor Moon Blu-ray/DVD Set 1 (Hyb) Limited Edition

Your Price: $56.99
Street Date: November 11, 2014

[Long-time Moonie, cant wait to see show on Blu-ray & hear the new dub...]
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The first part of my order came yesterday and the second today, so I've plenty of manga to read for a while more.

One-Eye wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Found at my front door a package from RS containing all 4 DVD sets of NANA. I didn't think it was going to come today as I was expecting it more for Monday because of the holiday. Anyways, I'm happy to finally have my mitts on this show and happy with the price I paid.

Fortunate one! NANA has been at the back of my mind for a while, but I haven't yet put my mind to thinking about whether I'd want to try it or not. I hope it pays off for you. If it does, I might want to make it pay off for me.

I've previously seen NANA and that's why I had to pick it up. I've been waiting almost 2-3 years for the prices to drop. I think at one point the sets were going something like $30-40 each. So $15.99 each was like a bargain to me.

I see; I had some feeling that you weren't taking a leap of faith.

I wish that I hadn't leapt at so many big ticket orders lately and didn't have a very large capital outlay pending, because that's a deal that I would like to exploit. NANA has always been at the periphery of my interest, but persistently so. Even without investigating closely, I'd gotten a firm impression that it would be worth my while. The ending is a frustration, but I'm quite tolerant of those; perhaps an adaptation for surviving in the anime habitat.

One-Eye wrote:
[Please let us know what you think about Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths when you finish it. I read it when it first came out and it was interesting, most notably the afterword by the author. I found that the touch of the personal gave the situation a greater perspective.

I think I will; it came yesterday and I'll probably read it tomorrow night. I'm hopeful that the personal perspective of the author will make it particular interesting and effective. I should hope that something like that would evoke some reaction worth expressing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks like my preorder for the AnoHana movie on DVD will be shipping out soon via Rightstuf.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Toradora, Shakugan no Shana Second, Problem Children..., and Short Peace all shipped today. Problem Children and Short Peace are about a month early too. Huzzah!
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
My order for the Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie LE has shipped. CAN'TWAITCAN'TWAITCAN'TWAIT
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
More of my pre-ordered goods on Rightstuf appear to be getting shipped soon...

Silver Spoon
Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya

The second one surprises me as I'm getting it nearly two months early before the actual release date.
bugula

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
wmderemer wrote:
Just pre-ordered @ TRSI:

Sailor Moon Blu-ray/DVD Set 1 (Hyb) Limited Edition

Your Price: $56.99
Street Date: November 11, 2014

[Long-time Moonie, can't wait to see show on Blu-ray & hear the new dub...]

wait wait wait. how the heck did you get it at that price????
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
@bugula
Follow the link, that is the stated price at TRSI currently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1148 of 1400