• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I think I'm just about done. Placed a few separate TRSI orders because some items had counters on them and very limited supply as soon as they came up for the sale. A few of these are doubles of things I already own that may be in rougher than like-new shape, so I figured I'd sell those on ebay and shelve the new/sealed ones Smile

From TRSI:

Ambition of Oda Nobuna - Blu Ray Complete Series (Megadeal)
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan - DVD Complete Series
Blue Seed - DVD Complete Series
A Certain Scientific Railgun S - DVD Season 2 Part 1
A Certain Scientific Railgun S - DVD Season 2 Part 2
Chance Pop Session - DVD Complete Series
Clannad: The Motion Picture (movie) - DVD
Cowboy Bebop - DVD/Blu Ray Complete Series
Di Gi Charat - DVD Complete Series
E's Otherwise - DVD Complete Series
Fruits Basket - DVD Complete Series
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - The Sacred Star of Milos (movie) - DVD/Blu Ray
Ghost Slayers Ayashi - DVD Complete Series
Gilgamesh - DVD Complete Series
Golgo 13 - Blu-ray Complete Series
Jormungand - DVD/Blu Ray - Complete Season 1
Jubei-chan: The Ninja Girl - DVD Complete Series
K-ON!! Season 2 - Blu Ray Collection 1
K-ON!! Season 2 - Blu Ray Collection 2
Kujibiki Unbalance - DVD Complete Series
Master of Martial Hearts - DVD Complete Series
Moeyo Ken - DVD Complete Series
My Beautiful Girl Mari/A Tree of Palm (movies) - DVD Double Feature
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Directors Cut - DVD
Night Raid 1931 - Blu Ray Complete Series
Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat - DVD Complete Series
Papuwa - DVD Complete Series
Ruin Explorers - DVD Complete OVA Collection
Saiyuki - DVD Complete Series
Saiyuki: Requiem/Nadesico (movies) - DVD Double Feature
Samurai Girls - Blu Ray Complete Series
Samurai Gun - DVD Complete Series
Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike (movie) - DVD/Blu Ray
Tears To Tiara - Blu Ray Complete Series
Twelve Kingdoms - DVD Complete Series
UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie - DVD Complete Sesons 1 & 2
Xam'd: Lost Memories - Blu Ray Complete Series

From Funimation.com:

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero - DVD/Blu Ray Complete Series
B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time - DVD/Blu Ray Complete Series
Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor - DVD/Blu-Ray Complete Season 2
Eden of the East: The King of Eden (movie) - DVD/Blu Ray
Maken-Ki: Battling Venus - DVD/Blu Ray Complete Series
Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror (movie) - DVD/Blu Ray
Red Data Girl - DVD Complete Series
Shakugan no Shana: S (OVA Collection) - DVD/Blu Ray
The Sacred Blacksmith - DVD Complete Series

Last edited by Sohma_Curse on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
- I just rewatched all of bamboo blade on funimation
if it was on blu-ray I would totally import it, right now
Heck, even the Japanese DVDs would be an improvement, since Funi's Bamboo Blade DVDs = TV version.

But they're raw. Not available as a set. And would also set you back about 300-350 USD for all nine singe volumes and the art box. That is if you could get each of them shipped to you without the use of a proxy service/friend overseas/some other way. For a raw, region 2 dvd set.

If the R4 set also looks like *******, then I guess there's always the short wait for the license to switch hands and or a 4K release....Shocked
I'm aware of that, but I assumed potatochobit was okay with importing the theoretical expensive and raw JP Blu-Rays, and thus wouldn't have a problem with the R2J DVDs for being comparably expensive and raw.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'm aware of that, but I assumed potatochobit was okay with importing the theoretical expensive and raw JP Blu-Rays, and thus wouldn't have a problem with the R2J DVDs for being comparably expensive and raw.

If it "was on blu-ray he would totally import it". Like me, He or she couldn't import the blu-ray even if we wanted to.

As of this post, at least that I am aware of, there is no JP Blu-ray.

If that is incorrect please link a JP release so that I can import it.

So what's a fan to do? pay for the singles, which are only dvd, or look to see if another region has given it better treatment on a disc.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
I hate being stuck in that "buy R2 DVD or wait for a BD box that may never come" predicament. Kojika, Kodocha, and Nana are a few I'm hoping for someday. Usually I just wait...DVD prices can drop to pretty cheap levels after a few years. Might be able to get them each for less than the shipping price lol.

Checked my email tracking # and its saying that Bebop will arrive on the 18th ughhhhh I should have opted for faster shipping instead of being an economy cheapo lol ;p
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
Just bought the Kill la Kill UK Collector's Edition Part 1. It's discounted on the Anime Limited website at the moment (£26,99) and it's still available at the moment that I'm typing this message so if you're looking for a good deal and if you have a region free BD player, go get it Very Happy Apparently the DVD Collector's Edition is supposed to be the same price, but that's still showing up at £39,99 for me.

And I got the Patema Inverted Ultimate Edition last Friday and it is absolutely glorious.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
re: Bamboo Blade BDs. Come on guys, isn't the desire for this really just psychological? It's been years since I've seen some BB eppies (I never did finish the series because it didn't grip me) but I don't remember anything particularly special about the art. Would seeing those images on BD versus DVD REALLY make that much of difference to you that you'd pay a considerable premium to do so?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
There are probably worse that get Blu-ray treatment, but usually we're talking more recent releases in which having both formats is just a given.

In my recent shopping for lost DVD's I've upgraded to BD's a number of times but there have been a few that I haven't bothered with.

Like Detroit Metal City... other than an audio upgrade I could see no reason to wait a couple weeks longer to get the soon to be released Blu-Ray.

And Hidamari Sketch. Hidamari Sketch actually has wonderful art, but the nature of that wonderful art (pop art, thick lines, mixed media) just doesn't warrant an upgrade. I might as well save a few bucks and not upgrade on that one.

One I didn't upgrade on and feel a little bad about... Moribito. That would probably look wonderful... but we're talking the difference between an $8 close-out sale and a $60 BD... and the truth is, really, very little animation needs an upgrade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's my position, too. I totally getting paying the extra (which isn't much really) between Sentai's BD and DVD release of, say, Shinkai's Garden of Words. It just when people start talking about paying a huge premium to import a Jpn BD set of a visually humdrum show like Bamboo Blade (I realize one doesn't exist, I'm just using that as an example) because a NA DVD release just doesn't cut it ... I kinda shake my head.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
re: Bamboo Blade BDs. Come on guys, isn't the desire for this really just psychological? It's been years since I've seen some BB eppies (I never did finish the series because it didn't grip me) but I don't remember anything particularly special about the art. Would seeing those images on BD versus DVD REALLY make that much of difference to you that you'd pay a considerable premium to do so?

Not sure what you were ever expecting from it, but yeah, I'm in agreement with you about the art. It looks like a whole lot of other anime. It's a low budget, made for TV show. Complete with time constraints as part of its production. It is what it is. More fast food than a scrumptious home cooked meal with all the trimmings and side dishes if you will.

Although, like many of the In-n-Out Burgers I've had the pleasure to mack on (when I lived in sunny San Diego), I did find it worth finishing to its conclusion. It's fun. Tama-chan as the cute and very proficient Kendo martial artist (in the same manner that character "Takumi" of "Initial D" is expert at drifting by virtue of having to do it everyday as work for the family) is a very likable character. With her work ethic, sense of justice and willingness to help others, you can't help but root for her. And she's an anime fan to boot.

But beyond all that, as a fan of Megumi Toyoguchi who I think is awesome as "Revy" and "Yao" (Miami Guns) I find her to be simply adorable in this series as "Kirino".

I'd be willing to pay the JP blu price to show my support for her work. But it would have to be for a complete set type purchase. I'm reluctant to deal with 9 different resellers from JP just for dvds. That could be a lot of email if things went awry.

Now if the blu looked and sounded that much better, then that would simply be bonus. And since I've started collecting various releases from other regions I'm giving the R4's for this one a look.

Don't know what else to add to that other than the fact that there are as many reasons to buy a show as there are shows.

Ortensia1980 wrote:
...And I got the Patema Inverted Ultimate Edition last Friday and it is absolutely glorious.

Cool. Mine has been "dispatched" and should be here about January 8th.

Got 3 out the 4 vols of Gangsta today. Burned right through the first. Alex is pretty dang sexy. Love the character designs. Kinda like Natsume Ono's but with much more detail and not as grotesque. And the whole thing about tags...

Should've ordered the manga much sooner though. Volume 2 has spent the last five days in California for some weird reason.

I can't recall the name of it right this second, but I want to say that there's also an anime title which has sign language in it. Not like a Hellsing Ultimate slipcover but actual sign language. I'll have to dig it out. Otherwise it's gonna drive me nuts.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
And Hidamari Sketch. Hidamari Sketch actually has wonderful art, but the nature of that wonderful art (pop art, thick lines, mixed media) just doesn't warrant an upgrade. I might as well save a few bucks and not upgrade on that one.
Even if the art did warrant it, I wouldn't want to pay for a random mix of broadcast and disc versions on Blu-Ray, as Sentai's DVDs were.

Anyway, I finally placed my last order from this holiday sale, and perhaps/hopefully the last order of 2014. Though if there's a year-end clearance sale, there are a few things I've got my eye on, like the LE Da Capo game. I tilted things towards the fanservice/deviant side of the spectrum this time around, and placed some more "respectable" titles on a Christmas wishlist.

El Hazard: The Wanderers DVD Complete Collection (Hyb)
Elfen Lied DVD Complete Collection + OVA (Hyb) (replacing my old singles+artbox that were lost when someone I loaned them to reloaned them to someone else)
Heaven's Lost Property Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray Complete Set (Hyb) - Anime Classics
Heaven's Lost Property Season 2 DVD/Blu-ray Complete Set (Hyb) - Anime Classics
K-ON!! Season 2 DVD Collection 1 (Hyb)
K-ON!! Season 2 DVD Collection 2 (Hyb)
Needless DVD Complete Collection (Hyb)
Psychic Squad DVD Collection 1 (S)
Psychic Squad DVD Collection 2 (S)
Psychic Squad DVD Collection 3 (S)
Psychic Squad DVD Collection 4 (S)
Qwaser of Stigmata DVD Collection 1 (S)
Qwaser of Stigmata DVD Collection 2 (S)
Qwaser of Stigmata II DVD Complete Collection (S)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
@ lem - I think buying a Jpn BD to show support for the talent involved is admirable. So you don't really fall within the parameters of my question. You are clearly motivated by more than simply the superior technical specifications of BD versus DVD.

Again it goes to my belief that those who become very insistent that it has to be BD or its simply not worth it and are prepared to pay a CONSIDERABLE premium for that by importing are more satisfying a psychological itch than anything else.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Even if the art did warrant it, I wouldn't want to pay for a random mix of broadcast and disc versions on Blu-Ray, as Sentai's DVDs were.

I never noticed this problem on the DVD releases (I did own them already, I love the show so it's one I'm rebuying). Is this the real advantage of the BD's? If the BD releases were updated to all JPN Disc versions, maybe that would be worth upgrading... if someone knows and I get a response in time I might goi ahead and call Right Stuff to swutch them for the BD's after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:55 am Reply with quote
I was always under the impression that people imported high priced JP BD discs and boxes to show their support. That and all of the goodies that come with the first pressings and limited editions! Everything on my shelves I can list the cast and staff of and tell you why its so important to me. I've never replied with "because it looks better" lol. I'd wager that the actual people that do see it thar way are few and far between.

BTW, FUNi Bebop set has arrived. Marathon tomorrow after we take our kid to get pictures with Santa lol.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Ok, third order from Rightstuf (I think?), since it appears they may really be done with the sales items.

Blue Drop DVD (S)
Broken Blade blu-ray
Kokoro Connect TV
Kokoro Connect OVA
You're Under Arrest Full Throttle part 1
You're Under Arrest Full Throttle part 2

I thought they may get more of those full throttle cheap-o parts in, I was right. Putting them in your cart makes their counter go down one, essentially "reserving" them for you until you either check out or your cart expires, right? By the time I checked out, all the other ones (there was only like, 6 on those counters) found other carts to sit in, but I wanna make sure I'm likely getting mine.
I got Kokoro Connect on DVD instead of blu-ray. I wish they did combo packs, but it's a slice of life, not an action thing like Broken Blade, so I thought DVD should work fine, right? Also, my PS3 can upscale (though how well it can I think still depends on the original DVD, older ones don't seem to upscale as well as that new Adieu Galaxy Express 999 movie release did)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Should have known the K-On! S1 set would be a mega deal, considering it didn't show in the regular sale.

K-On! Season One DVD Complete Collection
Puni Puni Poemi/Kekko Kamen DVD Double Pack
(pre-order) School Rumble DVD Season 1 + OVA (Hyb) - S.A.V.E. Edition (2nd Edition)
(pre-order) School Rumble DVD Season 2 - S.A.V.E. Edition (2nd Edition)

(all re-orders of lost DVD's... I never did get around to watching Kekko Kamen when I first bought this set a couple years ago)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1173 of 1400