• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
and my Amazon Cowboy Bebop LE arrived today. As well as a bunch of other stuff from Madman, Amzn UK/JP & even Animesols. Still waitin' on the Funi set though...

That Beebop set looks awesome, (and you seem to be quite the fan of the series)! I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail and I can hardly contain my excitement!
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
Yet another order from the TRSI Xmas sale:

Patlabor OVA Blu-ray Collection
Patlabor TV Series Blu-ray Collection 1
Patlabor TV Series Blu-ray Collection 2
Patlabor TV Series Blu-ray Collection 3
Patlabor TV Series DVD Collection 4

I have all the old CPM sets but seeing as how the episodes on those were edited I wanted to replace them and unless Maiden Japan does a combined set I don't think these will get cheaper. They have also announced the second OVA series which will probably be all I need to rebuy as I have the BVUSA premium sets for the first 2 movies and the 3-disc set for the third movie (which includes the Mini-Pato shorts).

EDIT: As any astute reader might have noticed I had a big brain fart when I made the above order. Fortunately I checked the confirmation email and noticed in time to call customer service this morning and get it fixed so all items are Blu-Ray. In fact, as soon as I mentioned to the customer service person that I made a mistake on the order she said "Oh, you wanted them all on Blu-Ray". Given how fast they ship out orders I figured I had to make sure to get to them today to avoid having to go through the whole return & exchange rigamarole.

Last edited by OldCharlieStoletheHandle on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
OldCharlie or anyone else who may know: how were the CPM Patlabor sets edited? This is the first I've heard of it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
@Blood-
The edits effect the first Blu-ray disk only. They were relatively minor any mostly involved labor on labor violence for some reason. They tend to be short and hard to notice even on a comparison. I'm not sure why they were done.

This is the reason that the first Blu-ray set has duplicate versions for sub and dub. The edits were applied to the old dub version. In order to use that dub they had to supply both the edited and unedited versions. Apparently the alternative was to leave silent bits in the dub version where the edits were.

For what it is worth, the video quality of the Blu-ray is so superior to the old CPM version that it is worth getting edits or no edits.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - thanks for the info. I was afraid I was missing hours and hours of hardcore lesbotronic footage. Wink
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Had a 25% off in-store coupon for Barnes and Noble, spent forever looking for something that had an existing sale to add it on to. After wandering from DVD sections to BD sections to numerous box set and separate sale sections I settled on

Paprika BD
(hidden on the side of a clearance sale display case)
50% off sale + the coupon, made for another recouped lost DVD upgrade for $7.50... although... now that I check, it's sale priced at $7.99 on Amazon right now-- so, not actually a mind-blowing deal. But excellent for a brick and mortar store.

My Right Stuff Holiday Sale packages also came today. I'm sure it's to no one's surprise that everything was accounted for and in perfect condition.
Soooo much to watch... and actually a lot of free time to watch it in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
OldCharlie or anyone else who may know: how were the CPM Patlabor sets edited? This is the first I've heard of it.

Looks like Alan answered your question. According to Blu-Ray.com, which version you watch depends on the language you select from that menu. This will not be an issue for me as I generally watch anime subbed.

I own all the old CPM sets so I was holding off double-dipping but I figured this deal is worth it.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
In what will be my last snag from Rightstuf's holiday sale, I've bought both sets to Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Alan45 - thanks for the info. I was afraid I was missing hours and hours of hardcore lesbotronic footage. Wink

LOL

EDIT: might as well tell you guys what I got for Christmas. Nothing too crazy because we spent most of the cash on gifts for our son. My girlfriend bought me a Pikachu piggy bank. I've been obsessed with it since the first time I saw it in Wal-Mart it is super cool. She also got me a Pokemon TCG Hoenn Collection set that comes with an oversized Primal Kyogre card. I have the oversized Primal Groudon card to go with it. I plan on framing them both . I hope I pull some real versions of the two come February when Primal Clash is released in the states!!
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to looking at the RightStuf sales and grabbed me... three things:

Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu DVD Complete Collection
Humanity has Declined BD Complete Collection
Utakata DVD Complete Collection

I'm a bit disappointed with how little interested me, but that might be a combination of last-minute shopping and exhaustion(lots of OT + past my bedtime anyway), not to mention my usual rule of not buying discs that don't offer any new content over the streams(and I'm too lazy to research which shows add content to the episodes themselves). I also don't normally buy things on DVD that are on Blu-ray, but Hoshimittsu both isn't on special and would stick out like a sore thumb in the middle of an otherwise all-DVD set.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Milking my Amazon gift cards I got for Christmas, snagged the following:

World of Narue
The Big Windup SAVE set
Code;Breaker
Little Nemo Blu-Ray set
Coffee Samurai/ Hoshizora Kiseki DVD set
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
In addition to all the junk I've bought on RightStuf, also got Patema Inverted on blu-ray for xmas! And some games: Tales of Xillia 2, Fantasy Life, Nier
lem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
^Didn't think I would get mine so early, but both the UK and US releases of Patema Inverted showed up for me too. Very Happy

noblesse oblige wrote:
...That Beebop set looks awesome, (and you seem to be quite the fan of the series)! I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail and I can hardly contain my excitement!

When I read "clam shell" I thought, oh it's gonna be a plastic deal. So yeah I was pleasantly surprised. I like it. Kinda weird to see Mr. Watanabe with long hair though. That and Yoko Kanno so young. My gawd the time flies.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet I hope you enjoy it!

Went in for a couple more volumes of old school manga. As of this post there are still 3 Hours to go. 375 Backers. $21,794 pledged of the $21,600 goal.

The R1 (sans slip cover/case cover reversed)

*Edit: Added pics for Patema

Last edited by lem on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Yet another order from the TRSI Xmas sale:

Fushigi Yugi Eikoden DVD Collection
Fushigi Yugi OVA DVD Collection (Series 1-2)
Girls und Panzer Blu-ray Complete TV Series
Girls und Panzer OVAs Blu-ray Complete Collection
Humanity Has Declined Blu-ray Complete Collection
tsuritama Blu-ray Complete Collection
Utakata DVD Complete Collection

I was going to go for the complete Fushigi Yugi bundle but I found no indication that Media Blasters had remastered video on the TV show and I have the old Geneon singles so I just got the OVAs to complete my collection.

I may make an additional order as I dropped 2 shows from this order as they were not in stock (Btooom! and Deadman Wonderland). I plan to put in a preorder for Onimonogatari (release date 12/30) so I can stick them on that order as I'm in no hurry since there's 1 more piece to go to complete Monogatari Second Season.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
In what will be the first Blu-Ray only pre-order release I've ever dabbled into, I've gotten The Eccentric Family Premium Edition set off Rightstuf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1175 of 1400