• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
After finally hearing that the disastrous first printing of the third Sasameki Koto volume was pulled, I've decided to pull the trigger; since I was a little shy of free shipping, I also added:

Girls und Panzer volume 3
Girls und Panzer: Little Army volume 2
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
A limited edition, pastel pink, Sakura Taisen limited edition Dreamcast.

It has been my grail for a while now.Still in shock, I was able to get it. It was sealed, too. Spent all day yesterday playing Mr. Driller.

Here's an image of it borrowed from the web:

One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
So I just got my Darker than Black BD Premium Edition and Knights of Sidonia Collector's Edition. Some pics and some concerns:

1. First pic is a size comparison between Funi's DtB and Nisa's Katanagatari PE vol.1 & vol.2. Basically its about the same height (DtB maybe 2mm taller?) and a little bit wider.
2. Second pic shows the width and DtB is thinner than NISA's releases.
3. Third Pic compares the size vs a normal LE.

4. Pic 4 what the inside of the set contains (clockwise easel, disc holder, art book)
5. Pic 5 postcards that fit into the side slot.
6. Pic 6 loose discs.

Its larger than I thought it would be. I thought it might be a little smaller than NISAs releases, but instead its a tad larger in height and width. It doesn't bother me because I have deep shelves, but others may not like it.

The cardstock folder that holds everything is creative and I like that the interior is green. They could have really cheaped out and left it unpainted. Its still not super sturdy if that bothers you, but what annoyed me a bit is taking the plastic of with my fingernail easily lifted up some of the color on the outside. Its very small detail but I would want to handle at least my copy carefully.

The postcards have an image on one side and repeats the DtB design of the outside container on the other side. I found them to be very thin and difficult to pull out from the very tight slot reserved for them. Since we have an artbook with the set these few postcards seem redundant and dont add much value for me. I will probably leave them in their slot and never take them out again because I think they would be easy to rip.

I wish the artbook had some text in it. Say something. However, the size and being able to see the pictures in a large format was very nice and maybe my favorite part of the package.

Finally, 2 of my discs came loose inside which really annoyed me. They don't seem to have scratches, but I will have to check this out immediately to make sure there isn't any damage I didn't notice. The other disc is tightly in its slot, which makes me think that the other 2 may just not have been pushed into the slots at the factory. Actually looking at it now, I don't see how one disc was flipped unless it was put in backwards or if they were just tossed in there. This irritated me. Personally I don't like this disc holder construction (slot).

Anyway that's my initial reaction. It may change the more I look at it.
lem

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
^nice set! and pics too! Didn't realize the set was that big (kinda weird to see how the famous people take up a lot of the screen real estate there Smile )

All those discs coming loose - it was same with the Bebop set, mine looked like a shuffled deck of cards. That kind of package just doesn't travel well - shake it up and they're sure to shimmy out. But with their protective coating, I think your BDs should be okay.

I've been on a 300 or so minutes of blu for 29.99 with free standard shipping kick of late
Got these in my box today.

Gingitsune Messenger Fox of the Gods
Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
@Wooga
God, what an epic looking system! I never had a Dreamcast myself personally though.

As for me, I took advantage of the spring clearance sale over at everyone's favorite wallet murderers to get some manga that my comic shop hasn't gotten in (or are older):
Knights of Sidonia 3
Prophecy 2, 3

And one anime that I had been considering but was in today's daily deals. Making it better than just the clearance discount. Of course, my gotanime still applies to both so, hooray!
[b]Level E complete[b] bluray/dvd combo

I was hoping they'd get in Dream Fossil today, but it's already "More Arriving Soon", so I'm guessing it was just enough for pre-orders today. I wanted to see if my comic shop gets it in anyway this weekend, if not, I can always place another order (I held back on other things I was hoping my comic shop would get in soon, like Magi 11 and My Love Story 4. They can be super early getting books in sometimes or rather late, it took like 6 months to get my precious Real 13 in, yet they get other things 6 weeks early, it's a random game of chance. Normally, waiting would be too painful except for their regular half off sales, sometimes 60% on special holidays).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
All those discs coming loose - it was same with the Bebop set, mine looked like a shuffled deck of cards. That kind of package just doesn't travel well - shake it up and they're sure to shimmy out. But with their protective coating, I think your BDs should be okay.

Yea, I went with the amazon Bebop set because I was worried about the discs and the Funi set looked cool, but just too big. I checked my discs and they seem to play fine, but there was someone on either Blu-ray.com or FandomPost that said all their discs were loose and all 3 of them were scratched bad. Maybe mine came loose in the final leg of shipping and didn't have enough time to bounce around too much.

A few more pics:
1. pic 1- I checked out the postcards again and they are the same as images in the artbook. So for me they add nothing to this DtB edition.
2. pic 2- A shot of the Knights of Sidonia CE goodies. Clock wise the box is DVD sized, sticker, BD and DVD case, art cards and insert box to hold cards and extras. Sitting on poster. I really like the poster, hate the fold lines.

3. pic 3- For comparison here is my AoA GoS LE. While the Sentai box isn't the thickest I have its thicker than GoS. Also the postcards are just shoved into the AoA box, which is lazy and sloppy imho. I like having that insert box in the Sentai box to hold the postcards and extras. It just looks cleaner that way. Funi also had a good idea having a slot were you could slide the postcards into their giant sized DtB digi-pack.

4. pic 4- Just a comparison of post cards/art cards. Funimation's and AoA are both bigger than Sentai's. However, Funi's cards are thinner and matte while AoA and Sentai's are thicker and glossy. I would say that Sentai's seem to have a higher gloss. 16 cards with images on both sides, that could have easily been a 32 page book the size of the box. For me that would have been far more awesome and if Sentai could have put in some info on Nihei I would have gobbled that all up (yea I would have payed more). The images on the artcards are nice, but would have been really cool larger.

I'm satisfied with both sets. There are things to like and somethings that could have been better on both. I want companies to compete for my dollar and offer interesting designs in their packaging and other extras for Limited, Premium, Collectors or whatever editions. I also think they should learn from one another and try to outdo each other.
lem

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote
^can't wait to get mine.

Knights of Sidonia & Kill la Kill 5 finally shipped along with Turn A Gundam Part 1, & Denki-Gai 2.

Also finally received my Time of Eve: Another Act stuff as well. Yay!

and I ordered my first Nendo of the year for Renge-chan of Non Non Biyori - Had to have one, too cute!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Received today from the comic shop:

Manga:
Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? volume 1
Blood Lad Omnibus volume 6
High School DxD volume 5
Ani-Imo volume 3
A Certain Magical Index volume 1
Gou-Dere Sora Nagihara volume 3
Gangtsta. Volume 6
Wandering Son volume 8

Novel:
A Certain Magical Index volume 3

Manhwa:
Chiro The Star Project volume 1
Goong volume 18 (Final ??)

Also while I was typing this the Post Office delivered from RACS
Darker than Black Season 1 Bluray Premium Edition

As with others, disks 2 and 3 were loose but did not seem damaged. This is an odd example of a "premium" edition. I'm going to break it up. The art book is a nice size and will be shelved with other art books. The post cards are going into a binder with other anime related post cards. The folder and envelope are going is a box with other anime related junk. The Bluray disks for both series will be kept in the LE box for the second season and the DVDs for both seasons in storage.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Damn, man! After seeing that Steins;Gate: El Psy Kongroo edition news, I had to have it! PS3 version for me (I don't have a PSVita). So worth it, I don't care that I paid US$80 for it. I don't normally get Funi releases right when they come out, but I did for Steins;Gate, so for some series, I clearly don't mind paying a bit more than I normally might (I would normally wait for a cheaper classics or SAVE set down the line)

I hope Persona 5 gets an LE of some sort so I can throw money at that too. And I hope it gets that LE for PS3 too, I'm not ready to invest in a PS4 quite yet.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Since E-Bay offered me a $5 off coupon for anything I buy off their mobile app, decided to milk it on snagging up High School DxD. With the coupon kicking in, managed to get the series for just over $30.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
My cheap ass copy of Free! shipped (I REALLY hate this release but will buy it to show that I want it on BD eventually), along with Ranma 1/2 BD 6, and Sidonia CE.

Trying to decide what I want from the Spring Clearance Sale at Rightstuf, as it seems everything I want is excluded from the sale.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
My DTB collector's edition set arrived today.

As did the Mardoc Scramble Trilogy Blu Ray. It's a regular-sized blu ray case with a slick holographic slip cover. Highly recommend for people who own all three films individually and need/want to gain two spots of shelf space. Bravo, Sentai!
lem

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
^^^
*lenticular stuff is cool, seriously considering a double dip on Mardock Scramble now*

picked these up today

Dream Fossil The Complete Stories of Satoshi Kon
Emma 1 a very nice hardcover edition now! can't wait to get 'em all
Gangsta 6 looking forward to seeing this one animated, hope it turns out okay.
KinMoza! (Kiniro +Mosaic) blu
Quite Country Cafe #1 R2 dvd (raw)

also went ahead and ordered D-Frag! blu
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
^^^
*lenticular stuff is cool, seriously considering a double dip on Mardock Scramble now*

Just to clarify, it's not lenticular (i.e. you move it and it changes around), it's reflective foil-type material. Still cool though, and definitely worth it if, as I said, shelf space is a constant issue for you like it is for me.
lem

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
@Sohma_Curse

hm okay, thanks for the clarification. Still interested though. And a lack of space is definitely something that is driving me nuts at the moment.

Off the top of my head, any chance that it looks like Funi's "Is this a Zombie" case?
Or the one for "Utawarerumono"?

*off to shuffle through a few stacks of stuff of the giant cluster %$# to see if I should already know what it looks like*

picked up Blood Lad 6 this morning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1203 of 1400