• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
I hate to think! (That's true in general, but especially as concerns the price of a complete set of Maison Ikkoku.)

If you really want to know what I paid for it, it cost me $475. A little bit of gouging considering each of the box sets run for $50 a pop for their retail price back in the day. But is at least affordable compared to the hundreds of dollars others sellers will charge for the later box sets within the series.

Alan45 wrote:
Congratulations on finding them. Of course next week they will announce the Bluray version for North America.

I highly doubt we're seeing a re-release of Maison Ikkoku or Urusei Yatsura anytime soon considering their age, the length of both titles and the fact they're not as popular as Rumiko Takahashi's work on Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha were with American fans with their original releases. You have to be lucky nowadays to pounce on getting older titles like Maison Ikkoku at an affordable price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
If you really want to know what I paid for it, it cost me $475. A little bit of gouging considering each of the box sets run for $50 a pop for their retail price back in the day.
I think that's a steal. You are a genius.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
@Ggultra2764

Oh, I agree. I was just thinking of the idea of it raining because someone washed their car. Laughing

I was really kind of surprised that the entire Ranma 1/2 TV series came out on Bluray. Viz already had problems with the DVD version of Maison Ikkoku. I don't see them trying again. They may have been contractually obligated to issue the whole thing. It came in boxes when everything else was in singles and they quit trying to promote sales of it about half way through. As far as Urusei Yatsura is concerned, it is extremely unlikely we will see another release. I'm just glad the whole thing was released. At least Animeigo kept it available as long as they had the license.

Reportedly when Animeigo lost the license to Beautiful Dreamer to US Manga Corp. they were good enough to design the cover insert for it to match their own releases and made a place for it in their box set.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
If you really want to know what I paid for it, it cost me $475

Consider yourself very lucky. 475 was what it cost me just for Vol 8. I don't go to cons, and Amazon was sold out, and it seemed like every other online store was too. So Ebay was my only option, and I waited months for that volume to pop up on there. Finally a listing for an unopened set came up. But 475 is a lot of money, so I kept looking. There was only one other listing, but it was for the discs alone (and they still want like 200 or 300 for it). So I gave in and got the unopened Vol 8. Over all I spent more money on Maison Ikkoku than any other anime title, and I hope it remains that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Consider yourself very lucky. 475 was what it cost me just for Vol 8. I don't go to cons, and Amazon was sold out, and it seemed like every other online store was too. So Ebay was my only option, and I waited months for that volume to pop up on there. Finally a listing for an unopened set came up. But 475 is a lot of money, so I kept looking. There was only one other listing, but it was for the discs alone (and they still want like 200 or 300 for it). So I gave in and got the unopened Vol 8. Over all I spent more money on Maison Ikkoku than any other anime title, and I hope it remains that way.

My normal strategy with buying online is whole series or nothing at all. I don't want to be stuck sitting on a series I buy and then discover it won't be fully released stateside just because the distributor felt there isn't enough interest in the series to bother releasing more of it. This, pardon my language, really pissed me off years ago when I was hoping I could finally have a legal means of getting titles like Monster and Kodocha in physical media format before discovering all future video releases of the series get axed due to low sales or supposed lack of interest. If I find a series I really want and I know the whole series is available, I'll go to whatever affordable lengths I have to in order to get it. If getting the series will be too costly an endeavor, then I won't bother. There are still plenty of other anime titles I have yet to dabble into that interest me and I can seek those out until I find the right time to eventually get the full length of whatever long-lost relic of the anime past has my interest.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

My normal strategy with buying online is whole series or nothing at all.

Oh, believe me, I'm the same way. The problem I have is that the titles I want are older and/or no longer in print, making it hard to obtain. Just a couple weeks ago I got the entire Master Keaton anime collection, but I made sure that all the volumes were still available before I bought any of them. I should say that there were people selling the entire collection of Maison Ikkoku, but wanted way more money than what I ended up spending for individual volumes.

Quote:
was hoping I could finally have a legal means of getting titles like Monster

You know, if you don't mind having a different region set, you can get the entire set from Siren Visual. It is a bit pricey (almost 100 dollars) and its region 4. I use region changing software on my PC to play my copy. I've purchased a few titles from other countries/regions, including Kaiba and Dennou Coil. Seems to be a good compromise for those of us who want a physical copy for our collection.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I usually do
Are you getting the new Noein set? That's one pricey upgrade. (Pretty box, though!)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
@ailblentyn

Already have. I didn't buy the LE though. I'm trying to get away from them unless they have something I want or are only a few bucks more. Funimation's chipboard boxes do look good though, but not $15 good. They do put the DVD and Bluray versions in separate cases. This gives the option of ditching the box and DVD version and only shelving the Bluray case. It hasn't come to that yet.

Generally if something I have comes out on Bluray I'll double dip. When I don't it makes me question keeping the DVD version. At this point I only have a couple of Sentai blind buys that I haven't upgraded.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
In my internal argument about whether I should get it, the LE box is an important consideration. It's so pretty, and so much prettier than the old floppy slipcase. And my own current copy looks extra-dodgy on the shelf because of an occasion when I was walking while carrying the box and walked right into a door jamb, scarring the thing on the spine!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, the standard edition Bluray/DVD combo pack has the same basic graphics as the box, both on the slipcase (Ocard?) and on the case insert. the main difference is the blue stripe at the top of the SE. It is not quite as pretty but it takes up less space and costs $15-$18 less. Either is going to shelve better than what you described.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the description. I'm looking at images now and am tempted!
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Picked up Devils and Realist 8, Kiss Him Not Me 4, Your Lie in April 6, My Little Monster 13, Princess Jellyfish 1 and Forget Me Not 1 the other day. Very happy to finally have Princess Jellyfish.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I finally put together the list of all the junk I got at Zenkaikon. Most of it was from either a) the cheap manga booth where I got 30 for $90 (with the help of my friend to push it over 30 manga, helped us both out in the price department though) or from the swap meet. And maybe something I ordered online that just came in too.

Anime
Huntik 1-4 (26 eps)
.hack//SIGN artbox (I had all the singles, but who the hell makes an art box in the shape of a giant hexagon?)

Manga
A Certain Scientific Railgun 1-10
Devils & Realist 1-6
Dorothy of Oz 1
Let's Stay Together Forever
Little Butterfly omnibus
Love or Money 5
Moon Boy 4, 8
My Boyfriend is a Vampire
Ouran High School Host Club 1-5, 8
Scarlet Letter
Servamp 1,2
Young Miss Holmes 1-2,3-4

Also, my rightstuf order I placed before the con arrived. It's going to take me a while to sort all this stuff out and find space for it all. I happen to know that some of my series are in the short boxes, but I need to consult the list to find out where they are and then physically have to find that box.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I just got my Anthem of the Heart limited blu-ray import from Rightstuf. I don't normally get limited editions unless its a title I really, really like, but this release comes with a CD soundtrack. There was a version of Green Sleeves in the film that I absolutely loved so I figured why not. Now I'm glad I did because RS is sold out.

Also got an import of the movie Elemi on DVD. Really wish someone (anyone) would license it and put out copy with English subs. I also got Parasyte collection 1 on BD. I know the series kind of falls flat at the end, but I still really enjoyed it.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
I just got my Anthem of the Heart limited blu-ray import from Rightstuf.

I have the regular edition of it coming my way tomorrow along with the first set of Your Lie in April. Admittingly, Anthem is the first title I've imported outside of the Americas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1242 of 1400