• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Went to a local used bookstore in hopes of finding some sort of good deal on manga. It's usually very hit-or-miss, but we were surprised to see that they had a shelf filled with manga. Mostly complete series too! Had to wonder if they got a good wholesale deal or someone was getting rid of their collection... either way, left with a few volumes and hope to go back next Saturday to buy some more.

YuYu Hakusho Vol. 5 (for my husband's collection; he had bought a few random volumes for the series at a book fair last month)
Samurai Champloo Vol. 1 (I'm sure it's not as great as the show, but it's a 2-volume series and I'd be willing to give a shot)
Black Cat Vols. 1-3 (they had the entire series for this, but I could only afford so much)

Sadly, we found out today that this store may be shutting down at the end of next month unless a buyer is found, so I'm hoping we can try to go in every Saturday they're open to try and buy the rest I want until then. I feel bad now that we didn't go in as much as we probably should have, but like I said... very hit-or-miss, and most of the time it was a miss. >.>
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
That is an awesome price for Moribito, Psycho 101. It's especially good when you consider what a great title it is. It's in my top 10.

Exactly. Granted it is DVD and not BluRay but damn you can't argue with $6 for a whole freaking series. Especially with a dub. Double especially for such a good series. That's even better than all the old $5 single dvd's releases from older series Right Stuf carries.

I just bought more holiday goodness because what's the point of over time and a raise if not to waste it all. So thanks to Sentai I kept the T&A madness going and purchased To Love Ru seasons 1-3 on BR for dirt cheap. Just need Darkness season 2 now. I also threw in Kids on the Slope on BR because it too was super cheap. I was debating on RightStuf's mega deal of the day yesterday which was High School DxD season 3 on BR for 50% off. That's a lot considering it's a brand new series. Given the overall agreement on the fact season 3 was the weakest of the series I opted instead for the To Love Ru seasons. Considering I got all 3 for only about $15 more than DxD season 3 by itself.

Bit irritated though as today's mega deal is My Love Story. For $10 cheaper then I got even with my member's price pre-order sale. Hmmmpppphhhh.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:02 am Reply with quote
Got No-Rin and both SAVE sets of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle with my latest snag from the Holiday Sale.

From this point on, I'll have to be fickle with what I snag since I've now exhausted nearly all the money I've saved up in my Paypal account from buying up stuff over the past week. Nonetheless, Coppelion looks to be the only other title I'd want as I've changed my mind on snagging up any additional titles like Strawberry Marshmallow and Hidamari Sketch that are high school girl slice-of-life comedies, since I've already snagged a few of those with my purchases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
@ Ggultra2764 - I've been curious about this for a while, so I'm finally going to ask. You obviously sell a lot of titles on ebay. When you buy something, is it with the thought that you'll watch it and then sell it, or do you only sell stuff that you know (or suspect strongly) that you'll never watch again?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Ggultra2764 - I've been curious about this for a while, so I'm finally going to ask. You obviously sell a lot of titles on ebay. When you buy something, is it with the thought that you'll watch it and then sell it, or do you only sell stuff that you know (or suspect strongly) that you'll never watch again?

Simple to explain. If I find I like a series after completing it, I keep it in my personal collection. If I find I don't like it, I sell it. Many cases, I normally stock up on physical releases that I can watch when I have free time since I have a low data cap from my wireless ISP that prevents me from being able to take full advantage of legal streaming services.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
Ah, makes sense. I understand the restriction of a low date cap, but do you sometimes make an attempt to sample a series before buying it?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, makes sense. I understand the restriction of a low date cap, but do you sometimes make an attempt to sample a series before buying it?

I read through series summaries and reviews of a series to get a feel for what it offers up. Many cases, I know what I'm in for since said shows are milking common anime tropes of some sort if I'm buying multiple titles in bulk to keep my collection stockpiled or pre-ordering something. However, there are still occasions where a title can surprise me with what it offers up as it may not have been as what I may have anticipated. Even with my decade-plus experience with watching anime and being exposed to many of its common tropes, I am not privy to everything that something can offer up in spite of seeming conventional on the surface at first glance.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday I acquired When Marnie was There from a local trade show. It proved to be the same price as Amazon's Prime-only offer, a fact that almost necessitated the purchase simply to avoid such a burden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TwistTale

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I bought travel tickets to Taipei and I'm current looking for a place to stay. My daughter and I are preparing also for our visa going there. We are actually going there for a vacation. Just a tourist visit to see amazing places that we have read online.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Welp, I bit the bullet. After seeing Kill la Kill pop up in RightStuf's annual wallet-murderer for "sale" prices that were still equivalent to buying DVD singles at full MSRP in 2003, I finally decided to look into importing a couple titles from regions that aren't receiving an Aniplex screw-job. Turns out that Amazon UK offers crazy-cheap international shipping, and with the current exchange rates, I managed to score the basic Blu-ray versions of that show, AND Durarara, AND Gurren Lagann, all for just a bit more than it would have cost me to buy KlK alone here. (Even less, honestly, with the help of an old Visa gift card I had lying around.) I actually wound up having to buy Gurren through a third-party seller on Amazon US, since out of all three titles Amazon UK only refused to ship that one to the US, but the principle remains the same.

Now do I currently have any way of playing any of these disks. Not really. But if it was simply a matter of being able to watch the series, there's an obvious way around that (plus I own Bandai's old Gurren DVD set). It's about being able to legally own them, while simultaneously throwing a big middle finger at Aniplex's domestic pricing schemes, so mission complete!

And then there's the more conventional stuff. From RightStuf:
One Piece Season 7 Part 4 to Season 8 Part 2 (I would save so much money if I'd switched to the bigger Collection sets at some point, but too late now.)
Ghost in the Shell 25th anniversary Blu-ray

From Sentai's sale:
Nadia Blu-ray
Detroit Metal City Blu-ray (these two are format upgrades)
Xam'd Blu-ray complete collection
The Garden of Words Blu-ray (not even a huge Shinkai fan, but at least it'll be pretty)

Now that many of Sentai's deals are showing up for about the same price at RightStuf, I'm left wondering why I bothered with them, but hindsight and such. What really terrifies me is that I know I'm going to make at least one more big sweep through the RightStuf sale. Stay strong, impulse control.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
@ TwistTale - enjoy your holiday!

@ Top Gun - congratulations! It always does my heart good when another person does a legal end run around AoA's usurious practices.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Bought a used Blu-Ray copy of Fist of the North Star: Legends of the Dark King from my local game store today.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
First of my 2 Sentai Pre-Black Friday orders arrived today after shipping (from TRSI, who is getting their side hustle on as one of Sentai's fulfilment centers) late last week... why it took so long after I ordered for it to ship, I don't know, unless maybe TRSI only sends Sentai orders once a week or something...

Angel Beats Complete Collection Blu-ray ($20.99)
ef ~ a tale of memories & melodies Complete Collection Blu-ray ($29.99)
Ebiten ~ Ebisugawa's Public High School Tenmonbu Complete Collection Blu-ray ($17.99)

Had wanted Angel Beats for a long time, and could not beat that price unless I was willing to buy used... same with the ef collection which while newer was still crazy expensive at $100 for 24 eps... $4.16 per episode is a bit high, for sure...$1.25 an episode, much better
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Via the Rightstuf Holiday Sale, just bought Log Horizon 2 on DVD.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Date Alive Season 1 DVD/BD Combo SAVE Edition
Date Alive II DVD/BD Combo
Yozakura Quartet Complete Collection
Consenting Adultery
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1264 of 1399