• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
I checked out some Star Fleet on youtube, and I do have a thing for Thunderbirds, so this is sort of up my alley, oddly enough.

Are you able to take the marionettes seriously, out of interest? It can be assumed that the dated appearance of Thunderbirds and its ilk forms part of their contemporary appeal, but does the same apply to this title?

Well in terms of looks, Star Fleet does have better effects and stuff than Thunderbirds and the character move a lot smoother. Although they aren't very good at moving their mouths or blinking as much as the Thunderbirds puppets are. But the background detail and the special effects are way better. And while I'm sure the "space" in the show must be a painted background, at least it doesn't look like it loops a ton or anything. This is what I noticed in ep 1 though. The villain lady sounds a little Power Rangers in English though, lol.
As for taking them seriously, I still remember the first time I saw Thunderbirds. It was back on TechTV (when that still existed), and at first, I was definitely weirded out by it, not gonna lie. But I found it somehow interesting, I mean, they don't really make any shows like that anymore, so I kept watching it when it was on (and TechTV played it quite often, it must've been a pretty cheap thing to air I suppose). And after a little bit, I definitely started to get into it and completely overlook the fact that they were puppets. It's similar to how you can overlook the fact that any character that isn't played by a real person can still be taken seriously, but they're usually 2D or 3D animated. But I do understand that puppets are usually a bit tougher to get over since they tend to edge closer to uncanny valley than either 2D or 3D animated (even though they look just as fake, I think being a physical object has something to do with it, but for example, the movie Polar Express creeps me out way more than these puppets do). But I think if you're willing to try, and it will take longer for puppets vs regular animated stuff, it can be taken as seriously as the show wants itself to be (for example, Team America: World Police never wanted to be taken seriously).
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, my Action Replay MAX disc didn't like my PS2 slim, but nevertheless, I moved my ancient Windows XP desktop tower into my room and hooked it up to my TV, put VLC player on a thumb drive and installed it, Aniplex importing here I come!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
*high fives mglittlerobin*

Welcome to the wonderful world of saving big bucks!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
But I do understand that puppets are usually a bit tougher to get over since they tend to edge closer to uncanny valley than either 2D or 3D animated (even though they look just as fake, I think being a physical object has something to do with it, but for example, the movie Polar Express creeps me out way more than these puppets do).

That seems sensible. Unlike 2D drawings they are subject to real lighting, but unlike 3D models their points of articulation are restricted. Something one never considers when watching Thunderbirds as a child.

mglittlerobin wrote:
Well, my Action Replay MAX disc didn't like my PS2 slim, but nevertheless, I moved my ancient Windows XP desktop tower into my room and hooked it up to my TV, put VLC player on a thumb drive and installed it, Aniplex importing here I come!

I am surprised you didn't consider using your old computer first! While Action Replay Max is as useful as its reputation suggests, using a software-modified PS2 for region-restricted discs is still more complicated than a PC. When I had nothing but my old console to hand, I had to find and execute a custom ELF just to play an imported disc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
Received today from the comic shop:
Manga:
A Certain Magical Index volume 8
Alice In Murderland volume 5
Fruits Basket collected edition volume 9
Horimiya volume 6
How to Build a Dungeon Book of the Demon King volume 2
Liselotte & Witch's Forest volume 3
Murcielago volume 1
Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary volume 5
Rokka Braves of Six Flowers volume 1
Today's Cerberus volume 2

Novel:
Strike the Blood volume 5

Also not manga but with the best title ever: Neil Gaiman's
Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire
it is only about 40 pages long.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered the Ajin Season 1 DVD set off Rightstuf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Supermutant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Larry the Cable Guy - Git-R-Done: Live
Usual Suspects

Ordered with birthday gift cards:
Guilty Crown - Part 2 - Combo Pack (2012) -- Blu-ray,
High School DxD Born - Complete Series - Combo Pack -- Blu-ray
NO-RIN - Complete Series -- Blu-ray
Prison School - The Complete Series - Combo Pack -- Blu-ray
Attack on Titan: The Movie - Part 2
Hardcore Henry - Blu Ray
Legends of Tomorrow - The Complete 1st Season -- Blu-ray
WWE - The Attitude Era Vol. 3: Unreleased - 2 Disc Set (2016) -- Blu-ray
WWE - NXT Greatest Matches Vol. 1 - 2 Disc Set (2016) -- Blu-ray
She-Ra, Princess of Power - Season 1, Volume 1
Supergirl - The Complete 1st Season - DTS-Master Audio (2015-2016) -- Blu-ray
Funko POP Movies: Scott Pilgrim Scott Pilgrim Action Figure
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2, Special Rehearsal Edition Script
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Volume 2
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Received today from TRSI:
Anime:
Riddle Story of a Devil LE DVD
Fate/kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2Wei Herz! Bluray
Beautiful Bones Sakurako's Investigation Bluray
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Amagi Brilliant Park standard edition blu-ray shipped from Sentai's fulfilment (a.k.a. TRSI) today, a month ahead of the 2/28/17 street date!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
Just preordered Amagami Brilliant Park. Uh, while I won't get it for awhile, I didn't pay for it... I think I ended up trading my surplus Haruhi Suzumiya DVDs for it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, anime economics are weird as I also ended up trading my Magic Knight Rayearth season 1 and 2 DVDS for more than what the new BD set cost me. Don't ask me to explain it, I'm not sure how or why it happened anyway.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, the wonderful world of OOP titles. It's the law of supply and demand. When demand exceeds supply, prices go up. There are a lot of collectors, like me, who value original releases for the pure collector's ween of it all. I'm not willing to pay as high a premium as some and I've been lucky to get some rare gems for less than astronomical sums.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Pre ordered Kyousougiga on Rightstuf. I'm considering making another order to get Robot Carnival as well.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
A big 70% off at the comic shop this weekend! But they didn't get a ton of new manga from last two weeks, but I still got some good stuff (and a bunch of US comics I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise).

Demon Prince of Momochi House 1-4
Liselotte and Witches Forest 3
My Hero Academia 7
My Love Story! 11
So Cute, It Hurts!! 11
Void's Enigmatic Mansion 5

And from eBay, I ordered Give to the Heart 8 (last vol of the series!) I do still need some other odds and ends from Net Comics though.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Bought Erased Volume 2.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:55 am Reply with quote
Picked up Forget Me Not 6, That Wolf Boy is Mine 3, Bloom Into You 1, Yona of the Dawn 3, Love Stage 6, Ranma 1/2 omnibus 7 and Everyone's Getting Married 3 in town yesterday.

@zawa - Is Give to the Heart any good? I've seen random volumes in the comic shop but never volume 1...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1276 of 1400