• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
@Alan45

I did, but their other copy was the same way...I can see an extra bit of white at the tops (really the bottoms) of the flipped pages, so it seems it also got slightly mis-trimmed too... Sad

The flip starts mid-Door 2, after the page where the guy suggests they go meet her parents, and the rest of Door 2 & all of door 3 are upside down & backwards.So to read it, I have to rotate the book 180 degrees mid-Door 2, find the 'connection' & read thru Door 3, then flip back to Door 4, turn again & keep reading.

I decided to just keep it as a rare printing error & a livable issue. Now lets hope Vol. 2 onward do not have same issue...

(As an aside I STILL can't get used to seeing Tokyopop's name/cover template on stuff in 2017, after they 'died' several years ago...)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
I got my copies of Otaku no Video (DVD), MS Igloo, and the new Akira special edition from Rightstuf in the mail yesterday. Although the Akira case looks very pretty, I'm not sure I'll ever buy a "steelbook" style release again: the way the disc flap is placed, it rubs up against the disc underneath it everytime you move it, and the clasp that secures the booklet inside the box was loose, resulting in a small tear.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
Totes pre-ordered that Gurren Lagann bluray set! I had been waiting for an "acceptable price" on a complete bluray for that series for ages. Still hanging onto my DVD set though, the art box is just too epic to give up (with the opening mouth thing). Only the second Aniplex thing I've ever bought (I got Blast of Tempest on sale during a holiday thing at RS a few years back, I enjoyed it, but for a sub-only series, it's a bit pricey, only went for it to begin with because I liked the original manga author's other work).
Also tossed My Brother's Husband vol 1 onto that order (so I could use a coupon on that one). I do plan to place a Viz manga order soon too (at least before the sale's end), so I'll probably get My Brother's Husband sent earlier and not have it wait for Gurren Lagann.

*edit-I had completely forgotten that Outlaw Star comes out on Bluray tomorrow! I had been waiting for a Funimation sale that never seemed to come. Now, there are some other Funi things I want (like the Code Geass Akito thing), but Outlaw Star is a personal favorite and gateway drug, I wanted the special edition here, been waiting for it forever it seems! Other anime that I want can generally wait until the year end Xmas sales all over the internets. Gotta wait 5-6 months, but whatever, I'll be good for a while. Need to slow down a bit with Otakon coming soon too.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
...you and I apparently have very different definitions of "acceptable prices," then. Razz

Seriously though, I recently bought Anime Limited's UK releases of both the complete series and the movies, and combined they cost me less than half of that total, including international shipping. I think they just put out a re-release with everything together in a box with a booklet, which I'm a bit miffed about because I probably would have gone for that if I'd known it was coming, but what can you do.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Picked up a few things at the end of RSA's Discotek sale:

Zombie-Loan Complete Collection
Koi Koi 7 Complete Collection
Gokudo Complete Collection

While some may celebrate Discotek for their classic gems, I'm more partial to their recent guilty pleasures. Though in taking a glance at Gokudo, it's rather disappointing that they did a straight transfer of the 2001-02 Media-Blasters DVDs, except with 6 eps per disc instead of 4. Get ready to revisit the "VHS on DVD" era of hardsubbed songs and title-card overlays. If you already own the M-B discs, there's not much reason to double-dip here.

Good to know, thanks. Just prior to Gokudo getting relicensed, I picked up MB's Gokudo collections sans original case for cheap, ie "technically free". Since the 6 DVDs are already in a same size single case, the only thing I'd be buying would be cover art.... but I really love that era's art style.

But if you want some real "VHS on DVD" releases, there's Battle Athletes Victory where each disk keeps the first episode's opener and last episode's closer and cuts out the rest. This series was only ever released as singles and VHS tapes by Pioneer/Geneon. Hey, Diskotek, if you ever get the chance... It's Kuroda/Hirata's most consistently funny series, really needs more exposure.

Also, I forgot all about Zombie Loan. Let's see... 2014? No excuse for it then, how awkward...

What I've recently bought: Just a Gate preorder as I've been filling some holes in my film collection.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Just bought a box set of Jing: King of Bandits off E-Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Finally picked up the first of NisiOisiN's Zaregoto novels, Decapitation - Kubikiri Cycle: The Blue Savant and the Nonsense User.

I also took the opportunity to preorder three new DC deluxe hardcover collections:

Batman by Brian Azzarello & Eduardo Russo (a collection of every Batman comic written by the creators of 100 Bullets)

Marv Wolfman's Night Force (an amazing 80s horror comic - written by the creator of Raven, Starfire, and Cyborg - which has been at the top of my "why isn't this available in book form?" list for roughly two decades)

Justice League of America: The Nail & Another Nail (a "what if?" story about a world in which Ma and Pa Kent got a flat tire and thus never found baby Superman)
SentinelRanger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Placed my order for a number of limited edition box sets during the current Sentai Sale (lowest prices i've seen anywhere!);

Amagi Brilliant Park Box Set ($57.99)
Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Box Set ($52.99)
Both Parasyte the Maxim Limited Editions ($75.98 for both)

And now...im broke again...good thing the E3 games I want aren't out until 2018...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Picked up at the comic shop today:

Figure:
Akari Mizunashi from Aria

Manga:
After Hours volume1
Fate Zero volume 5
Holy Corpse Rising volume 3
Mysterious Girlfriend X volume 6

Novel:
Spice & Wolf volume 18 Spring Log
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
As it is cheap enough for its length and perhaps the very bottom of the barrel for its franchise, just snagged the Dragon Ball GT Complete Series set via E-Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Shuffle! Complete Collection SAVE
The Third-The Girl With the Blue Eye Complete Collection Litebox

Bleach 3in1 Edition Vol. 18
Bleach 3in1 Edition Vol. 19
Bleach 3in1 Edition Vol. 20 (pre-order)
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Needed some loose ends on the Viz sale

Awkward Silence 1,2,3,4
Sand Chronicles 4,5,8

I hate it when I order used books online that claim to be in "Very good" condition and then I get a pile of heavily marked half bent library books. Now, it is possible to get a like new library book (usually on a series that no one ever rented, like Firefighter Daigo), but the odds are just so low. I usually only get used library books if the alternative is like $50+ for a non-library book or something ridiculous. But don't just flat out lie to me, not a way to get repeat customers. They said they'd send another vol 4, but I doubt it's coming at this point (it should've arrived by now, been almost two weeks), and who knows if it'll be yet another library book anyway. The funny thing is, they cancelled a vol 5 on my initial order, claiming it "wasn't in good enough shape", but it makes me wonder wtf shape it'd have to be for them to consider it to be too bad to send.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Manga from Chapters indigo
Alice Love Fables: Toy Box
Are You Alice? vol 3 and 4

Manga (chinese version) from Books.com.tw
Fairy Tail vol 6, I had finished all the anime but not the manga. I had just started buying it since it's going to be over soon.
Merman In My Tub vol 6
Bungou stray dogs Dazai's Entrance Exam (light novel)
Bungou stray dogs Osamu Dazai and the Dark Era (light novel)

CD from yesasia
Yowamushi Pedal Character Song Vol. 8 Makishima and Toudou
Yowamushi Pedal Theme Song Album it includes all the op and ed from the first two seasons and movies.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Received today from TRSI:

Sound of the Sky Blu-ray
Miss Hokusai Blu-ray/ DVD
Pandora in the Crimson Shell Ghost Urn Blu-ray/DVD
Outlaw Star Blu-ray/DVD
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Picked up Fairy Tail: Rhodonite today from Barnes & Noble. Seeing it confused me at first because it was labeled as "Volume 2" even though I knew that couldn't be right. I'm guessing because they're by the same artist as Twin Dragons of Saber Tooth, it's just being published as a two-volume series? Eh, whatever. I bought it and that's what counted to me more than anything else. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1289 of 1400