• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Apparently, Funimation's new distributor doesn't allow clearance prices anymore.

I haven't heard this. Very disconcerting if true!
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote
Picked up Assassination Classroom 15, Requiem of the Rose King 6 and Haikyuu 10 yesterday, and Train to Busan on BluRay on Saturday.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:31 am Reply with quote
I picked up the "RX-124 Gundam TR-6 Woundwort" and the "RX-107 Rosette" (two Flag of the Titans designs) from Bandai's new Fusion Works SD Neo line, as well as a 4-piece mini-kit of the "ZMT-A31S Doggorla" from... I guess some promotion Bandai ran in Japan? It's a single-sprue, single-color SD kit that was bizarrely available in either Lime Green, Black, or Brown (I picked up the green, because it requires the least amount of paint to look like it did in the anime). We'll see how it turns out.

There were some other single-sprue mobile armors available from the same vendor, but I went with the Doggorla because I figured that Bandai is never going to go back and actually make a full-fledged SD of an obscure V Gundam design.

I also ordered a bunch of replacement Gundam Markers, including 4 more white ones, because I seem to go through those super-fast.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Snagged Spice and Wolf complete series and Steins;Gate complete series for $30.00 + tax, WOO!
animecosplayer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote
I just both a Blu-ray copy of Ghost in the Shell, I've been an avid fan of this anime since then. Do you know a website wherein I kind find a cheap deal for a Blu-ray copy of movies?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Received today from TRSI:
Anime:
Moribito Guardian of the Spirit Complete series Bluray (upgrade)

Manga:
Maria Holic volume 8
Clockwork Planet volume 2

Novels:
Nisemonogatari volume 1
Legend of the Galactic Heroes volume 4
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, duplicate. Embarassed

Last edited by Alan45 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the Fairy Tail collection on HumbleBundle, which ended yesterday.

Seventeen dollars for digital copies of:

Fairy Tail Volumes 1-45
Fairy Girls Volumes 1-4
Blue Mistral Volumes 1-3
Ice Trail Volumes 1-2
Zero
Sabertooth
Rhodonite
Booby Prize
and a HumbleBundle exclusive "Swimsuit Special".
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
animecosplayer wrote:
I just both a Blu-ray copy of Ghost in the Shell, I've been an avid fan of this anime since then. Do you know a website wherein I kind find a cheap deal for a Blu-ray copy of movies?

RightStufAnime.com usually has at least one publisher's BluRays on sale at any given time. Right now, they're doing their site-wide 30th Anniversary sale, so you might find some good deals there.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Picked up today at the comic shop:

Manga
Appleseed Alpha HC volume 1
Dreamin' Sun volume 2
Ghost Diary volume 2
Hana & Hina After School volume 2
Lord Marksman & Vanadis volume 4
Magika Swordsman & Summoner volume 7
Plum Crazy Tales of a Tiger Striped Cat volume 1
Yamada-kun & the Seven Witches volume 14
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Decent comic shop day, I suppose

Akame ga Kill 11
Ancient Magus' Bride 7
Kaze Hikaru 25
Liselotte and Witch's Forest 5

Not a ton, but enough for now! Not like I don't have this enormous backlog waiting at home, right? And that's the once yearly at this point Kaze Hikaru volume. I wish they'd just find a spot to end releasing it in English (the end of an arc or something) or pick it up a bit, unlike Ooku or Real, Kaze Hikaru has 40 some volumes in Japan. I'm sure it's not selling well for them, maybe they have to keep publishing it to make their daddy happy or something, I dunno.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm sure it's not selling well for them, maybe they have to keep publishing it to make their daddy happy or something, I dunno.

I wonder if the series has reached the point where there is finally no dropoff from volume to volume... if it has, it might make just enough money for Viz to feel that selling 15 more volumes to the series' current audience is still worth it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm sure it's not selling well for them, maybe they have to keep publishing it to make their daddy happy or something, I dunno.

I wonder if the series has reached the point where there is finally no dropoff from volume to volume... if it has, it might make just enough money for Viz to feel that selling 15 more volumes to the series' current audience is still worth it.

But Viz published all of Firefighter Daigo in print specifically to make their Japanese holder happy. And keep in mind, they dropped publishing Gintama (at I think 23 vols iirc? Or somewhere around there), and Gintama almost certainly sold better than Kaze Hikaru. Even finding the new vols of Kaze Hikaru, I never see them in physical stores (like Barnes & Nobles or Books a Million), so you gotta get them either online, cons, or luck out with your local comic shops. I just assume that if Viz can drop Gintama for not selling enough, Kaze Hikaru is only surviving due to making someone high up happy or something. It's happened before, after all (Firefighter Daigo was rumored to sell *maybe* 200 copies a volume)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to update people on the Doggorla, Woundwort, and Rosette kits: the first arrived a few days ago, and although it required a few hours of painting, it's now very eye-catching, and totally worth the money considering how unlikely it is that Bandai will put out another SD mobile armor from V Gundam any time soon.

The latter two arrived today, and were my first chance to check out the new FW SD Neo line. I have to say, I'm impressed: I had previously written off the FW kits because of their adherence to the new SD proportion design philosophy (if you aren't an avid SD gunpla builder, the long and short of it is that recent SD products have much smaller heads compared to kits from the 80s-00s) but both of these new figures look great. I'm definitely considering picking up more of these kits, especially since they recently announced that they're putting out an RX-78-6.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I had been anticipating ending up in the daily mega deal did indeed land there today, so I placed an order!

Berserk 38
Pokemon Adventures manga set 1, 3, 4 + vol 10
Gundam 09th MS Team blu ray

I had forgotten to mention that at the used bookstore's reopening, I snagged Pokemon Adventures 8,9,11-14 for really cheap. I hadn't really planned on getting into the Pokemon manga, but I honestly found vol 8 and 9 really enjoyable, since it doesn't follow the story of either the game or the anime and it just does its own thing. So after this order, I should have up to vol 29 I think? Up through the Emerald arc at least. Not sure if I'll get more later, but form what I read on bulbapedia, it looks like the gen 1 characters play a role up through the Emerald arc, so I thought that was a good stopping point.

And we shall see in a couple days if anything new gets added that I'd like to the sale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1291 of 1400