• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for pointing out the news item!
Yes, I got a second-hand copy, which seems to have been quite good value. But I'll keep an eye out for details on the Funi release.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
Welp, I went all in on AX. Still not sure if I do end up going but just got my premier pass today and now have to make arrangements to get there...my first trip to LA too...
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Decided to milk Rightstuf's third week of holiday sales by getting both Good Luck Girl and Okamikakushi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuf's Black Friday deals yielded:

Dirty Pair Features Collection
Dirty Pair Flash Complete Collection
Dirty Pair OVA Collection
Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise BD

Also picked up:
K Limited Edition Collection
lem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
First heard this on CR, and just had to have it on a disc. Mushi-shi The Next Passage OST Love what they've done with all the various percussion instruments throughout. (that link above also has samples for the 27 tracks)

And for the new year a 2015カレンダー 夏目友人帳 (Natsume's Book of Friends 2015 Calendar)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
^Mushishi has some fantastic music, I do agree they're well worth picking up. Although, I have to confess I'm rarely in the mood to listen to something so mellow though.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
^It does doesn't it? Music never ceases to amaze me like that. The endless variety.

Still waiting on the Chaos order, but the one with Madman went smooth.

*my nitpick of the hour...*
What's up with most of these OZ case covers?
This one is reversible, but shouldn't "Animated Violence" be a removable sticker or part of the plastic wrap instead of taking up so much space on the front?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:

This one is reversible, but shouldn't "Animated Violence" be a removable sticker or part of the plastic wrap instead of taking up so much space on the front?

I've got the same thing on my Chihayafuru DVD set from Siren Visual (well okay it says course language instead). I don't even remember any course language in Chihayafuru.

Maybe it's some type of legal requirement.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
My understanding is that it is indeed a legal requirement.

They should maybe go the cigarette-packet route and have a little picture of the sad loser you will turn into if you watch too much of this content. Very Happy
lem

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
@ailblentyn,
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

...I've got the same thing on my Chihayafuru DVD set from Siren Visual
...Maybe it's some type of legal requirement.

l bet you're both right about the legal thing. It'd just be nice if aesthetics and lawyers didn't have to be mentioned in the same sentence. To their credit Madman and SV at least have reversible covers for the titles that aren't packed with a slipcover or box.

There were several R1 releases of Escaflowne, which one did you end up with? I know at least one of the sets I bought way back then had at least one messed up disc.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
The one I ordered was a used copy of this. Let's see what it is when it shows up! At least it wasn't expensive.

Disk problems with Escaflowne — many thanks for letting me know. I think some forum regular said years ago s/he had had their set suffer from disc rot, too, so I'll be alert.
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I went Black Friday shopping later in the day and I was able to save a good amount of money. I went to Best Buy and bought a HP printer. It originally was 100 dollars but I managed to get it for 50 bucks. While there I also picked up the new Pokemon Omega Ruby game and the TMNT Blu-ray movie compilation. I then went to Target and picked up Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Animal Crossing: New Leaf for 15 dollars a piece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
Picked up We without Wings combo pack, Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise Blu-ray, Another Blu-ray (for a friend for xmas) and Queens Blade OVA Beautiful Warriors Blu-ray from Rightstuf's Holiday sales.

May have to put in another order once I get paid on Friday since there is a lot of good stuff this year I'm interested in that I put off buying throughout the year(s).
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
Gah, holiday sales, why must you be so good?

Well, since Girls Und Panzer was on sale at RS, I had to pick that up for my fiancée's brother since he's weirdly fascinated by that show. Naturally, I picked Detroit Metal City and the Petshop of Horrors OVA for myself, as well as Sankarea and Eiken vol. 1 because the former was on sale, the latter because I needed something cheap to get me over $50 for free shipping, and both because I run a little manga review blog and am always seeking more books to review.

Then I saw the Funimation Cyber Monday sales, and those were too good to miss either! I picked up the 2nd LE of Attack on Titan along with the 2 separate parts of Sengoku Basara, because I've been meaning to get that show and $16.50 is a damn good price for it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
lem wrote:

I've got the same thing on my Chihayafuru DVD set from Siren Visual (well okay it says course language instead). I don't even remember any course language in Chihayafuru.

Maybe it's some type of legal requirement.

All my R4 DVDs have those giant ugly ratings marring the cover too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1169 of 1399