• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Pre-ordered Knights of Sidonia Season 1 DVD/BD Collector's Edition from TRSI's Section 23 sale. I wish there was more than postcards in this CE release. I find those underwhelming for a "Collector's Edition", might as well be a regular LE. Hopefully they will put some nice artwork on the box.

All of these LE and CE copies lately have been leaving me a little giddy.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Kruszer - I'll probably be buying a PC laptop later on this year (my Mac is my work-provided machine that I take home each night), so I'd love to hear about this program. Feel free to PM if you like. Thanks!

Okay, I sent a link to your PM box.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Got it, thanks!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
At a roughly 11:20 PM last night, I elected to look at TRSI's website because I knew that they were holding a sale on Vertical books and I was interested in some of those. I was taken aback to realize that contrary to my belief, the sale was to end that night, so in a nervous daze, I tried to cobble an order together rather quickly. I hope that I didn't buy anything that I already own.

Manga
A Brides Story (Volume 6)
Claymore (volume 26)
Message to Adolf (Hardcover volumes 1 & 2)
Witchcraft Works (Volume 3)
Wolfsmund (Volume 6)

A Bride's Story wasn't technically part of the sale, but it was discounted and I really like it a lot. Kaoru Mori's preposterously detailed art and adoring anthropological detail has a firm hold on me.

The Claymore is what me back to actively pursing all of this four years ago and I've become very fond of the manga, which often rises above its shōnen baggage. This is the end and I'm very anxiously excited to see just how the series sees itself out.

What was Osamu Tezuka doing writing to the chairman of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives' Appropriations Committee? Hah-ah! I kid, feebly, of course. I have never been able to muster much zeal for Osamu Tezuka's manga, but I appreciate their merit and this one drew my attention for its curious, unexpected premise and still being available in Vertical's splendid hardcover release.

I bought the first two volumes of Witchcraft Works spontaneously in December and... have not read them yet, but unless it turns out to be in some sense heinous, I'm in for the duration. I had an ultimately muted opinion of the anime, but it showed flashes of a very dry wit and does a little inversion of archetypical set-up in a way that I'm a sucker for. Besides, tall, dark and stoic is my type.

I also have, but have not read the first five volumes of Wolfsmund, but I've been intrigued by the impression that I've gotten of it. Besides, it's a way to throw Vertical a bone.

I considered buying some volumes of Knights of Sidonia, but when I saw the number of the most recent volume, viz. 13, it seemed like too much to commit too at the moment.

I'm really due for another 'manga month' and have almost accumulated enough content for one (I need the equivalent of about 40 volumes so I can read two every weeknight... it's a thing that I do), but I'm still figuring just how to arrange it all up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:55 am Reply with quote
just learned of this title today (caught Kruszer's mention of it in the thread request for WWII anime - thank you.), so I went looking for a copy of the animated version. No such luck. Not even a VHS Tape, but after reading the lone Amazon review for it I was more than happy to just order the book/source material.
The Glass Rabbit (English Edition)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Black Jack Set 2 finally shipped out from AnimeSols.

Quote:
just learned of this title today (caught Kruszer's mention of it in the thread request for WWII anime - thank you.), so I went looking for a copy of the animated version. No such luck. Not even a VHS Tape, but after reading the lone Amazon review for it I was more than happy to just order the book/source material.
The Glass Rabbit (English Edition)

No problem, though you may not be thanking me after all the depression you'll be feeling reading it, that is if it's anything like the movie Razz
lem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
^well if it's as somber, depressing and or uninviting as Grave of the Fireflies, Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms, and Barefoot Gen then I think I'll be okay. Smile

After working so many six twelves this winter it's really nice to have some down time. Ordered these to welcome the arrival of Spring.

From Amazon (free shipping/29.99 ea.)
Space Brothers Collection 1
Love Lab Complete Collection
Non Non Biyori

Can't recall if I already mentioned this one but I also picked up a VHS of Explorer Woman Ray
- gotta see for myself just how bad it is.

Also Pre-ordered these for April 21st from BAM!
Dorohedoro 15
Barakamon 4
Puella Magi Tart Magica
Spice and Wolf 14
Vagabond (Vizbig Ed) 12
Black Lagoon 10
MS Gundam Origin 9

And these shipped from BAM!
Sankarea 11
The Devil is a Part-Timer, Vol 1
Attack on Titan 15
Seraphim
Ranma 1/2 (2-in-1 Edition) Vol 7
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
@ lem - I'm assuming a six twelve means working six days a week on a twelve hour shift? Oi, that's a pretty brutal schedule. However, it does explain why you have such a generous anime/manga/merch. budget. Wink
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I decided to order the manga I need for Mangapril (doesn't really work), so I placed an order from Amazon.

Manga
Gakuen Polizi (Volumes 1 & 2)
Nijigahara Holograph
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! (Volumes 1 & 2)
Seraphim: 266613336 Wings
Whispered Words (Omnibus volume 3)

I liked the other manga by Morinaga Milk that Seven Seas has published, so it was nigh inevitable that I would buy Gakuen Polizi. The response to it has been a little tepid, but I expect that it will be a harmless disappointment at worst and more likely at least a pleasant diversion.

My vague impression of Nijigahara Holograph is that it's really odd and even though Solanin, the only other work by Inio Asano that I have read, had a pretty familiar form, I get the impression that he's a little odd too. It's terribly cliché of me, but that is a reliable signal that I will like this.

I adored the Watamote! anime, so I am naturally curious about No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! as the source that it was adapted from. I'm leery of comedy manga, because they tend to wear thin quickly for me, but Tomoko is such a compelling, realistic and uncomfortably relatable character that it should be worth reading. I might be as painful as it is funny, but those can be complementary feelings.

Mamoru Oshii and Satoshi Kon both have strong holds on my imagination and are responsible for my appreciation of anime. The prospect of something that they collaborated makes Seraphim: 266613336 Wings strongly enticing to me. I bought Opus a few months ago, although I have not yet read it, so I might have one Hell of a night lying in wait for me. I hope that together, they'll handily make up for the disappointment of Tropic of the Sea.

Whispered Words has been very emotionally endearing to me since I saw the anime adaptation. I thought that ended at an indefinite, but satisfactory point. Nonetheless, I have always known that there's more to the story, so I'm happy to see it through to its conclusion.

Edit:: Noted the volumes bought for WATAMOTE!.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Seraphim: 266613336 Wings

I hope that together, they'll handily make up for the disappointment of Tropic of the Sea.

I think they definitely do. I liked Opus a lot more as it's very self aware, and even though Kon never finished it, the small "ending" he tacked on makes it hurt a lot less. Seraphim was clearly just getting started though. It should have easily been twice as long, possibly thrice. But it's still a more interesting story than Tropic of the Sea so that's a plus, but its lack of an ending hurts it way more. I was hoping for some sort of "this is how the manga was planned to go" sort of thing, but we didn't get that either. The only solace I can think of is, even if he were still alive, I doubt either one would ever be finished anyway. He more stopped manga because he went into anime so much, which it didn't look like he was going to stop doing anyway. But Opus is more than worth your time to read. If you want a real night of mind effery, then read it with Utsubora.

Can't wait for Dream Fossil though. Short stories also means "complete stories".
lem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-,

yes you're right on both counts. It was something of a rough winter this time around. At least as far as the work schedule goes. I mean I've had to work through much colder ones in previous years, but never this many consecutive hours, for so many weeks. February alone got me well over 300 hours.

Definitely got my butt kicked by it all, just glad it's over.

Got a day off and time to do some online shopping so I just placed my Jun 23rd pre-order for "Ping-Pong" from Funimation.

From Amzn US - Also pre-ordered Vinland Saga 6

Double dipped on Detroit Metal City (Blu-ray)

..and added another one from Discotek to the collection Cybersix Complete TV Series

Also ordered from TRSI
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works TV Blu-ray Box 1 (S) (Import) (US) (to replace my Amz JP order)
Genshiken: Second Generation Blu-ray Complete Series (S) Premium Edition (also have on order from NISA)
Kill la Kill DVD/Blu-ray 3, 4 (Hyb) Limited Edition + CD + Bonus DVD (to replace my previous Animate North America order)
Koimonogatari: Hitagi End Blu-ray Set (S)
Nisekoi: False Love Blu-ray 1, 2 (S)
Onimonogatari: Shinobu Time Blu-ray Set (S) Limited Edition
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Just bought the Sorcerer Hunters complete TV anime for a pretty cheap price off an E-Bay seller. $32 isn't bad considering this baby's been OOP for quite some time.

I've also pre-ordered the following off Rightstuf:
Windy Tales
No Game No Life
One Week Friends
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Much to my delight and surprise, my package from Siren Visual arrived today, about a week and a half after being shipped. Heck, it's taken longer for packages from our Friendly Neighborhood Community Forum Benefactor to get to me and he lives a heck of a lot closer. No evidence that package was delivered by kangaroos, though... Crying or Very sad

eta: bit the bullet and ordered an all-region (for both BDs and DVDs) player from Amazon for $179 CAD and free shipping, no sales tax. By rights I should add this item to my anime budget since playing anime is the ONLY reason I'm getting it, but...
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Picked up Happy Marriage 10, Alice in the Country of Joker Circus and Liar's Game 7, and Midnight Secretary 5 today.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
Very likely the fact that it did not go through the US postal system had some effect on the time. Also, I doubt the guy doing the shipping for Siren went up to the counter and said "Cheapest method please"*.

There are faster methods, I'm sure the Postal system or UPS would be happy to speed the arrival of the package at Canadian customs. It would cost you though. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to the topic at hand.

Received today from the Comic Shop.

Manga:
Accel World volume 3
Angel of Elhamburg volume 1
Are You Alice volume 8
Black Lagoon volume 10
Dengeki Daisy volume 16
Devil is a Part Timer volume 1
Disappearance of Nagato Yuki Chan volume 7
Genshiken Second Season volume 6
He is my Only Vampire volume 2
Love at Fourteen volume 2
Sankarea volume 11 (final)
Skip Beat volume 34
UQ Holder volume 4
Yukarism volume 2

*I think they whistled up some guy in the back room who put the package on his bicycle and personally delivered it to the nearest Canadian border.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1190 of 1400