• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to a tip from Ggultra2764 in the "considering" thread I was able to win an auction for the OOP largely forgotten Masaki Kajishima (Tenchi) series Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure. (Only bid, auction started at $25) I had a search saved for it but I didn't get a notice because the seller had it down as Parallel Dual! Trouble Adventure (which, of course, makes no sense Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Pre-ordered Lupin III: From Siberia with Love via Rightstuf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Thanks to a tip from Ggultra2764 in the "considering" thread I was able to win an auction for the OOP largely forgotten Masaki Kajishima (Tenchi) series Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure. (Only bid, auction started at $25) I had a search saved for it but I didn't get a notice because the seller had it down as Parallel Dual! Trouble Adventure (which, of course, makes no sense Wink )
That is quite the bargain, considering I only paid a little bit less than that when TRSI had all 4 discs on clearance back in late 2008.
Eri94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
My Madoka art piece arrived a few days ago and it completes the set!

Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Just bought the OOP Complete Collection of Best Student Council for 20 dollars. Go me.

Also bought Uta no Prince-sama Season 1 Complete Collection DVD and Hidamari Sketch x 365 Complete Collection DVD.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Took advantage of Rightstuf's Discotek sale to buy my first items from that company since Taro the Dragon Boy sometime in 2006 or 2007.

Blue Submarine No. 6 DVD Complete Collection
DNA Squared DVD 3
Dragon Half DVD
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade DVD
Licensed by Royalty DVD Bargain Bundle
School Days DVD Complete Collection

Funny story about DNA Squared... when I bought discs 4 and 5 at a secondhand store in March, I believed I had bought 1-3 years ago. While I thought that disc 3 had been misplaced in a move, I was looking through an older hard drive and found that the rips I'd DLed to finish watching the series back in 2010 or before started at ep 7. Which means that I'd never had disc 3 to begin with; if I had, I would've only downloaded eps 10-15. While I could've saved shelf space with Discotek's release, I didn't want to throw out an 80% complete set of the old CPM discs.

As for Licensed by Royalty, the counter on the bundle was down to 11, so I figured it was now or almost never. The individual singles are slightly more expensive, and discs 3 and 4 are at 11 and 27 copies, respectively. No counter on discs 1 and 2 though, not even for 1+Artbox. Must've been an exceptionally poor seller for Geneon, along with the similarly-bundled Heat Guy J and Melody of Oblivion.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
As for Licensed by Royalty, the counter on the bundle was down to 11, so I figured it was now or almost never. The individual singles are slightly more expensive, and discs 3 and 4 are at 11 and 27 copies, respectively. No counter on discs 1 and 2 though, not even for 1+Artbox. Must've been an exceptionally poor seller for Geneon, along with the similarly-bundled Heat Guy J and Melody of Oblivion.

I seen promotional ads for that series on a good number of anime DVDs I owned from Pioneer and Geneon back in the day. Never heard anything remotely positive or memorable about L/R from anyone online, even here on ANN thus I never bothered even having any thought of getting it.

However out of curiosity, what led Heat Guy J to bomb in sales back when Pioneer was around? I've seen the series get great reviews from a number of anime review sites (counting ANN), liked the series enough where I've had it in my collection for years now and I even recall it airing on MTV2 for a time back when the anime boom was at its peak.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
In an anime related order, I ordered the first two Rurouni Kenshin live action films from Australia, and plan on picking up the 3rd once it's out.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
However out of curiosity, what led Heat Guy J to bomb in sales back when Pioneer was around? I've seen the series get great reviews from a number of anime review sites (counting ANN), liked the series enough where I've had it in my collection for years now and I even recall it airing on MTV2 for a time back when the anime boom was at its peak.

I have also wondered about this as I also found Heat Guy J to be very enjoyable. As far as I know there has never been an "official" explanation. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that it was a combination of bad timing and overhype. Also, as noted on the encyclopedia page the MTV2 broadcase was only the first half of the show and I believe it was cancelled due to very low ratings.

The hype part was that Pioneer was trying to push it as the "next Cowboy Bebop", which it clearly was not. The timing part was that the singles were coming out around the same time Pioneer was bought by Dentsu (per the encyclopedia the singles came out between July 2003-July 2004) when, according to Chad Kime in the ANNCast he was on, Pioneer went from being 6 figures in the black to being 6 figures in the red. The anime bidding wars were in full swing which probably led to the overhype as they were trying desperately to sell the show. Some have also brought up the capacity for the internet to exaggerate things; I wasn't online myself much at the time but I have heard it said the show became something of a whipping boy on the web after being dropped by MTV2.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. I got my copy of the singles during one of those 25-for-$100 sales at Right Stuf and thought it was definintely worth $28.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Received today from the comic shop:

Manga:
Inu X Boku SS volume 7
Tena on S-string volume 7
Kagerou Daze volume 1
Let's Dance a Waltz volume 1
So, I Can't Play H volume 1
Kuroneko Oreimo volume 1
Witchcraft Works volume 4
Barakamon volume 4

Novels:
No Game, No Life volume 1
Spice & Wolf volume 14
The Devil is a Part-Timer volume 1
Is it Wrong to try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? volume 2

Magazines:
Newtype January 2015
Megami January 2015
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
My copy of Soni-Ani Super Sonico the Animantion arrived today from Rightstuf. I find it funny that Sentai has not yet fully released the cast list (think they have Ouka-chan to go) but I have it in hand, 4 weeks early.

Kagamine Len Append Nendo also arrived today. His box did not make it in great shape (SAL plus non hard packaging do not make for great long distance shipping), but the figure is new and I could not be happier to finally have him in hand.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Got an e-mail Tuesday saying that my order of The Time of Eve Art Works, Fan Book, and Another Act has shipped.

And during the Kodansha sale Right Stuf had a little while back I picked up:
GiTS 1.5, 2
Vinland Saga 1-6
Danza
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Got an e-mail Tuesday saying that my order of The Time of Eve Art Works, Fan Book, and Another Act has shipped.

Same! It's exciting to know they are on their way and can't wait to finally have them apart of the collection. I've got to wait a wee bit longer for the gloss print as its on its way to Japan but will be worth the wait when it's up on the wall.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Received today from RACS
DearS Complete collection DVD
GTO: Great Teacher OniZuka Complete collection DVD

Novel:
Accel World volume 2 The Red Storm Princess
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
_Emi_ wrote:

Same! It's exciting to know they are on their way and can't wait to finally have them apart of the collection. I've got to wait a wee bit longer for the gloss print as its on its way to Japan but will be worth the wait when it's up on the wall.

Received my stuff yesterday (got the email today though). The posters came in a nice little sleeve. I've only had time to glance at it, but everything looks pretty good. I'll inspect it closer this weekend and maybe rewatch Time of Eve?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1197 of 1400