• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Whew, I went a little crazy with the RightStuf Viz sale, but my comic shop has been suddenly slow on getting manga again, so it had to be done. I did hold back on a number of series (Seraph of the End, World Trigger, Master Keaton, D.Gray-Man among others come to mind) and decided to full on catch up on others.
I really miss how you used to be able to double up on sales at RightStuf and now you can't, I obviously had to pick the Viz code as all but two items were Viz. And I just really wanted more Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

Assassination Classroom 3, 4, 5
Blue Exorcist 13
Kaze Hikaru 23
(once in a blue moon, right?)
Love Stage!! 2
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer 5-6
Magi 11, 12, 13
My Love Story!! 4
Skip Beat 31-33 omni
Voice Over 12
(final volume!)
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches 3
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:

And I don't know if you have a region free DVD player, ivorymoose, but it may be worth checking if the European Gundam 00 S2 is still available at a reasonable price. I still find Beez sets in stores and ebay at normal prices from time to time so it may be worth a look.

Not interested in 00 now. I will look into 00 R2 in the future but not now. Thanks.

lem I believe owner photos are very important especially for OOP disks.

.....Turn A arrived from Anime Corner Store. Very pretty boxes. Clear cases with cover printed double sides. I won't be watching this soon, saving it for later.

Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Just bought the full Maid-sama series set off Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:

I don't bother, it just confuses people. What do I do? If there's wear, I won't sell it. If it's a copy, you flip the disk over and look at the... we're getting into trade secrets here but it's something you can't see in photos, certainly something you can easily fake. Copies I toss.

Example: I have some early Sentai DVDs that still use the ADV imprint in the production seal on the back. Authentic or not?

The best bit of advice is not to buy sealed OOP. If it's defective, well that's a pretty obvious reason but if it's a copy, you should only be able to tell from the discs and not from the packaging. Why do I say that? Media Blasters.

And Bandai, Funimation, Section 23, even CPM. But late Media Blasters especially because their inserts look like they're made on an ink jet printer; Real but also real cheap. So far only Diskotek has been consistent. I haven't seen enough Viz to comment either way.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Got an e-mail confirmation from Rightstuf that my pre-order of The Troubled Life of Miss Kotoura has shipped out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
It's been something like 8 years? since I first bought an incomplete set of this from RACS. Thanks to Discotek, it's finally back. Pre-ordered this:
Super Dimension Century Orguss TV Series

booh - yaww for old stuff and re-releases!

@ivorymoose
...where and who it was purchased from should also be taken into consideration.

EDIT:

just contributed to Barefoot Gen for Schools and Libraries a few minutes ago.
Prince Gotonoke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I picked up Vinland Saga 2 through 4 with the B&N buy 2 get 1 free sale, those finally came in yesterday. Once I am able to deposit the paycheck I'm going to get today I will also be buying Vinland Saga 5 and finally getting FMA: Brotherhood on Blu-Ray. In non anime and manga purchasing, I will also get Fargo Season 1 on Blu-Ray.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Decided to pre-order When Marnie was There from off Amazon.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
ivorymoose wrote:

I don't bother, it just confuses people. What do I do? If there's wear, I won't sell it. If it's a copy, you flip the disk over and look at the... we're getting into trade secrets here but it's something you can't see in photos, certainly something you can easily fake. Copies I toss.

Example: I have some early Sentai DVDs that still use the ADV imprint in the production seal on the back. Authentic or not?

The best bit of advice is not to buy sealed OOP. If it's defective, well that's a pretty obvious reason but if it's a copy, you should only be able to tell from the discs and not from the packaging. Why do I say that? Media Blasters.

And Bandai, Funimation, Section 23, even CPM. But late Media Blasters especially because their inserts look like they're made on an ink jet printer; Real but also real cheap. So far only Diskotek has been consistent. I haven't seen enough Viz to comment either way.

I definitely want to see owner photos of Gundam 00 Anime Legends box sets because the price fluctuates from US$23 to US$700 +++. Don't you want to see first owner photos? I won't spend that much money on a set when I don't know how the box looks like. Early owner photos from 3 years indicate that season 1 is in clear box and season 2 is in black box. Such inconsistency by the legal manufacturer causes confusion and suspicion. Illegal producers will take advantage of this to argue any way they want. It's not right. I want to see owner photos and I even prefer owner photos from 3-4 years ago when the set was newly released.

Like yourself, I will also not re-circulate illegal copies, I will destroy the disks.

It's always best to buy titles when they are newly released. It's just feels wonderful to get them new, fresh-hot from the factory. Over many years, I re-watch the titles, admire the disks, recall the time when I first ordered them and take some photos to show off. Embarassed Cool Very Happy
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
009 Re:Cyborg - Combo Pack (2012) -- Blu-ray
Turn-A Gundam - Collection 1

Doctor Who Monopoly
Junkyard Dog WWE Action Figure

Still in box:
Hayate the Combat Butler - Season 1 Complete Collection (2007) -- Blu-ray
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Picked up Love Mode 1-10, Gakuen Heaven DVD boxset and A Capable Man super cheap from someone selling them secondhand. New, I bought Chi's Sweet Home Omnibus 1 and The Devil is a Part Timer novel 1.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Picked up Soul Eater NOT! Volumes 3 and 4 from my local anime shop back on Sunday, much thanks to my husband's gift card for winning last month's cosplay contest. He didn't find anything that he wanted, but knew I was missing those two volumes from my collection. :p

Also got lucky and found Magic Knight Rayearth Omnibus 1 from Tokyopop at Goodwill. It's in pretty decent condition, although there are some rips in the cover and a couple of bent and ripped pages. For 89 cents, I decided to pick it up and have plans to turn it into a couple of art projects. I already own Dark Horse's release so I don't need two copies for my collection. :p
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Got both sets of Haikyu via Amazon.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Hunter D - DTS-HD Master Audio (1985) -- Blu-ray

Still in box:
Hayate the Combat Butler - Season 1 Complete Collection (2007) -- Blu-ray
lem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Space Brothers 4 showed up. YES! spoiler[ Really enjoyed the Life and Death theme covered in these episodes ].

Since it's from Bandai I'm not expecting anything super detailed or finely painted but it is something from the show and it does include Apo so I ordered this (all the while wondering where the other brother is).
Bandai Hobby Mutta and Apo EVA set "Space Brothers" 1/10 - Exploring Lab Series

Also picked up the OVA for Baoh. Fell in love with the look of it and decided to apply for a small loan to also pick up the two manga volumes. Seriously though, they're OOP so payment through the nose it was.

The animated version is great if you are up for some over the top, utterly ridiculous, but oh so beautifully animated eye poppin', head explodin' moments of clarity (think Fist of the North Star but with an OVA budget and far superior artistry). As for the story?spoiler[ wut story? Baoh is the result of a bug in dude's brain that allows him to power up and defend himself. He rescues an esper kid being chased by a group wanting to make use of her ability to determine lock combinations. Same said kid naturally gets taken back and held hostage so they can lure Baoh in and make use of his power. As expected, extreme violence ensues. Holy guacamole hairdo, Witch Blade the Dad is here! and he don't care what tribe you're from! You mess wid da bull and you're gonna get the horns there bub. In the end, Good guy wins. Kinda. Sorta. At any rate I found this one entertaining as all get out with its imaginative action sequences and no holds barred level of splatter goin' on] They just don't make 'em like they use to.

Bought these to go with all the Iron Wok Jan! I've been collecting

Not Love But Delicious Foods

Antique Bakery, Vol. 1 (v. 1)

And since it's now in omnibus format I decided to start on this franchise.
Oh My Goddess! Omnibus Volume 1

Also, for what's looking to be a great year for more manga...

Pre-ordered these
Princess Jellyfish 1 Feb 16th

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Vol. 1: Dawn March 8th

Nichijou, 1 March 1st

Nichijou, 2 May 3rd

Ultraman, Vol. 1 this Aug 18th
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1215 of 1400