• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inuyasha1357

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
and there are supposed to be even more new characters to come according to the ending and opening theme songs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Animekid08.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Bobobo is really funny. To me, Beauty is the character that makes the show funniest. Without her, the show would be all non-sense. She makes it funnier with her "you're not making any sense" routine. That's probably exactly what you as the viewer is thinking.

Don Patch isn't gay, I believe he's actually a girl! spoiler[Like Akito Sohma!] HAHAHA! That would support him referring to himself as the female lead in the manga, even though that still leaves alot of questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:
I mean is it's supposed to funny because it seem more like show that was made by someone who was insane or on durgs. Why is it even on Toonami in the first place when it makes no sense?

I just feel badly that quality animation like JL: Unlimited and Megas XLR was thrown out on its collective butt for that. If Messrs. Demarco and Akins wanted an all-Japanese anime lineup they could've gotten something a little more sensical? This is making me miss Rave Master. And as for the insane content, you already have Duel Masters (ugh) and the comedic stylings of Zatch Bell: spoiler[Next week on Zatch Bell Kyo goes to see his hero . . . Praying Mantis Joe . . . Shocked].

You know what? Forget it, you finally have a black character in a lead role who doesn't get offed and he's a complete idiot. My whole deal is it's not really a TOONAMI show, throw it on early Saturday mornings like at 9-10 or something. As for a show analysis:
Kinkotsuman wrote:
I just did. He's utterly insane!

He's so insane that if he had seen me type that just now he'd walk up in a cow outfit, angerly declare "How dare you call me a cow", and then proceed to calmly milk himself. Then he'd make a ton of money selling "Patch Milk", go on one of those drinking binges rich people go on, waste all of his money on booze and broads, go bankrupt, live on the streets remembering the good ol' days where he fought alongside Bo-Bobo, then Bo-Bobo would walk up and the two would have a sweet reunion and swear to continue their never-ending battle... with sushi!! After Beauty freaks out like she always does, Patch and Bo-Bobo will then have a tag team wrestling match against two pieces of sushi, in which Don Patch will get pummled and damn-near killed, causing Bo-Bobo to have a dramatic "I can't live without him" type sob-fest, but then scream "OH WELL!!" and throw him away...

That's how utterly insane Don Patch is!

As Stewie Griffin once said, "Really, how am I supposed to follow that up? Bite the head off a chicken?"
Dividedbyzero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Excel Saga was funny. Puni Puni Poemi was funny. Beat-to-Death Angel Dokuro-chan was funny. There are a lot of weird anime shows that are funny.

Bobobo is not funny, it's just stupid. You need to be seriously high to find it funny, so like 12 oz. mouse, it belongs on Adult Swim, if anything, so as not to encourage drug use among children.

Bobobo makes no sense. In other news... the sky is blue.

But is Bobobo really as bad as 12 Oz Mouse? I personally think Bobobo is actually funny sometimes, despite the fact that it gets annoying and repetitive and goes off on nonsense tangents... whereas 12 Oz Mouse is just... low. After seeing 12 Oz Mouse, I'm not sure I knew cartoons could even be that bad.

[No coloured text, please. Any further posts sporting it will be deleted on sight. -Nagi]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
12 Oz. is considerably funnier, and considerably less random, but that's like saying that mustard gas is better for you than neurotoxin.

I don't mind most shows that are considered random, because they usually aren't. Usually such shows are just eclectic and full of variety, but what seems to be randomness is actually well thought out and clever transitions between scenes. Bobobo truly is random though, the scenes don't support each other, and it's all just a jumbled mess with no comedic structure.
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else pick this up? I liked the show on Cartoon Network from seeing the first 3 or 4 episodes, but thought I was missing something because there was a lot of japanese lettering on the screen and it wasn't subtitles for you to know what it's saying. I know when shows air on tv here in the US they don't normally subtitle the signs and text so I decided to wait for the dvd to come out. I was really disappointed with the dvd because it failed to do so. I was excited about seeing some of illumitoons other products, but after this I don't think I'll buy another dvd from them. How does everyone else feel about signs and text being subbed or is that not such a big deal to everyone?
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
That's actually a pretty big deal, and a major turn-off for most people that were or are planning to or already bought this DVD. The Beet dvd had similar problems, and if they keep Illumitoon could find themselves in serious trouble.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
the_silent_child wrote:
Did anyone else pick this up? I liked the show on Cartoon Network from seeing the first 3 or 4 episodes, but thought I was missing something because there was a lot of Japanese lettering on the screen and it wasn't subtitled for you to know what it's saying. I know when shows air on tv here in the US they don't normally subtitle the signs and text so I decided to wait for the dvd to come out. I was really disappointed with the dvd because it failed to do so. I was excited about seeing some of Illumitoon's other products, but after this I don't think I'll buy another dvd from them. How does everyone else feel about signs and text being subbed or is that not such a big deal to everyone?
Oh, the signs/text weren't the only problems with the release:
AoD's Review wrote:
Depending what track you watch, this will either be a decent experience or one that is mind numbingly bad. If you watch it in English, much like Toei's releases, you won't see any of the troubles within the show for the most part. If you watch it in Japanese, you may find yourself in convulsions. I honestly could not watch past the first episode because of how poorly it's put together.

Even though the disc is bilingual, the subtitle track is a dubtitle track. It is also a dubtitle track that goes for the extra offense of being one that has the Hearing Impaired sounds included in it. But wait, let's add more insult to injury with it. While the white subtitles with black font look good and are bigger than FUNimation's similar subtitles, they're left justified similar to how AnimEigo does it. But wait, it's worse, because they're not centered on the screen but actually kept to the very left. A six word sentence is split across two lines and kept to a corner of the screen. But wait, it's even worse! If multiple people are speaking at the same time, it's all strung together. Where you would normally have:

- Hello!
- Hi, how are you?

You instead get "Hello! Hi, How are you?" on one or two lines. And that's if you're lucky. Since sentences are generally longer, they're split so it would be "Hello! Hi, how" as the first subtitle and then it flashes off and the new one is "are you?" before continuing on. It's nearly impossible to differentiate dialogue. Not that any of it really matches up since it's dubtitled. But wait, it's even worse if you can imagine. The subtitles are onscreen for such a short amount of time that even fast reading subtitle folks like myself aren't able to read what's being said before it disappears from the screen. This is so poorly executed that it goes beyond incompetence and it goes beyond what you get from the old awful bootleg Chinese subtitles from years ago that I can’t imagine that someone signed off on this. The entire way the subtitles come across simply doesn't feel like they were an afterthought, they must never have been thought about at all. It's insult upon insult upon insult upon injury.

Not content with that, no on screen text is obviously subtitled which means you miss a lot of the names and other subtitle text that's presented throughout with character names and relationships. The opening and closing songs are not subtitled either. The opening appears to be generally untouched outside of the series logo being added to the upper corner alongside the original logo. The ending sequence is left in its original Japanese as well but suffers heavily. It's essentially squished and feels like it's cropped so that a scrolling version can be presented along the left with the English language credits. The squishing is so bad that you can see a good portion of the Japanese text being cut off on the right. The credits themselves cover a decent amount of the Japanese production team but favors the English adaptation heavily as well as providing only the main English language cast. No Japanese language cast is listed here.

This is one of the worst I've seen from a company that I expected the bare minimum at least from. There is no way I can recommend this to anyone interested in the Japanese track unless you're able to watch it without subtitles.
(emphases added by me)
So basically, "Epic Fail" doesn't even come close to an accurate description.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:02 am Reply with quote
the_silent_child wrote:
Did anyone else pick this up? I liked the show on Cartoon Network from seeing the first 3 or 4 episodes, but thought I was missing something because there was a lot of japanese lettering on the screen and it wasn't subtitles for you to know what it's saying. I know when shows air on tv here in the US they don't normally subtitle the signs and text so I decided to wait for the dvd to come out. I was really disappointed with the dvd because it failed to do so. I was excited about seeing some of illumitoons other products, but after this I don't think I'll buy another dvd from them. How does everyone else feel about signs and text being subbed or is that not such a big deal to everyone?

That was the only thing that bothered you about this release?!? The 'dubtitles' were so damn confusing I couldn't even watch it. But as for signs and text being subbed... it usually isn't a big deal for me. Unless it's essential to understanding a scene or making sense of the setting, I'm fine with them being untranslated.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why anyone would put dubtitles on a DVD it defeats the whole point of watching it in Japanese. Also how hard is it to translate some on screen text? I mean most of it was katakana anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2