• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarmyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (TV)

Genres: action, comedy
Themes: parody

Plot Summary: Bo Bobo is a man with the incredible power of hearing the voices of hair and using his own to fight. He uses his power to fight off the Margarita Empire and all of EmperorTsuru Tsuruiina's minions who are stealing the hair off of anyone they find to power up their emperor.
----------------------------------

I mean is it's supposed to funny because it seem more like show that was made by someone who was insane or on durgs. Why is it even on Toonami in the first place when it makes no sense?
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
i love that it's on Toonami beacause it's the only thing that stands out from everything else on the lineup.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Because it's funny and people will watch it? Things that make no sense are funny to Americans, the same reason Excel Saga became so popular. I expected nothing less from the Japanese anyway. Maybe it has some kind of deeper meaning we're not seeing. Probably not.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't need to make sense to be funny.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, Execel Sege was pretty stupid, yet very popular. But hey, 95% of stuff on TV make no sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Maybe it has some kind of deeper meaning we're not seeing. Probably not.

If Bobobobo did have a deeper meaning, you would probably get brain damage trying to figure out what it is. I, on the other hand, don't believe that Bobobobo has any deep meanings or cultural references that only the Japanese would understand, I believe it's all just nothing more than a bunch of random, stupid stuff that is there for the sake of it being random and stupid, which, IMO, is really part of Bobobobo's charm.

I would guess the reason why people don't like this show is because, instinctively, they are trying to understand the humor and why they think it should be funny. However, the more you analyze and scrutinize this show, the more unfunny it becomes. Now, alot of people like to know the meaning behind jokes, which is fine. It's just that Bobobobo has a "different" kind of humor, a kind of humor that is funny just because it is "there", whether or not the joke makes sense.

To truly appreciate Bobobobo, you should resist the urge to comprehend the jokes. Instead, just accept that everything that happens in Bobobobo happens, just because. Also, this entire show is bizzare and incoherent, and you should just leave it at that.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
I don't think the show is funny in its current form. From what I've read I think what they show is an edited form of the original. So maybe (if this is true) its not funny because of what they've done to edit it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
Excel Saga was funny. Puni Puni Poemi was funny. Beat-to-Death Angel Dokuro-chan was funny. There are a lot of weird anime shows that are funny.

Bobobo is not funny, it's just stupid. You need to be seriously high to find it funny, so like 12 oz. mouse, it belongs on Adult Swim, if anything, so as not to encourage drug use among children.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
Bobobobo's humor can be compared to Monty Python: silly, doesn't make sense, and at times in need of a butch cross-dresser to make you laugh harder. I'm still waiting in the brinks for a Python homage in that show.

OT: this past week made me lead to the conclusion that Don Patch is gay. Therefore, Don Patch is the first gay character in history to appear on American children's television. That's gotta mean something to some of those rights-groups.
Kinkotsuman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
Not true: Don Patch is just utterly insane. And also, Squidward from Spongbob i believe is supposed to be secretly gay.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bobobobo's humor can be compared to Monty Python:

BLASPHEMER!

Monty Python's humor was absurdist. Bobobo's humor isn't absurdist, it's nonsensical. Absurdist humor relies on the distortion of reality in unexpectedly humorous ways. Bobobo is writen like a fricken madlib. Just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean it's also funny.

Quote:
Not true: Don Patch is just utterly insane. And also, Squidward from Spongbob i believe is supposed to be secretly gay.

Also Buster on the PBS aardvark show. And Haku of course (although admittedly he showed up a few weeks after Don Patch). Also Doctor Quest and Race Bannon (first cartoon gay couple).
inuyasha1357

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
they do have a base story line, which is making friends and trying to save peoples hair from being shaved off by the Hair Hunt Troops, and the only character who is sane is Beauty witch is Bo-BoBo's only chance of staying on mission, everything else is what the creator thinks is funny
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Kinkotsuman wrote:
Not true: Don Patch is just utterly insane.

Then explain the kiss he gave to "U" that wanted to be "C"; but is now "6".
Kinkotsuman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Kinkotsuman wrote:
Not true: Don Patch is just utterly insane.

Then explain the kiss he gave to "U" that wanted to be "C"; but is now "6".

I just did. He's utterly insane!

He's so insane that if he had seen me type that just now he'd walk up in a cow outfit, angerly declare "How dare you call me a cow", and then proceed to calmly milk himself. Then he'd make a ton of money selling "Patch Milk", go on one of those drinking binges rich people go on, waste all of his money on booze and broads, go bankrupt, live on the streets remembering the good ol' days where he fought alongside Bo-Bobo, then Bo-Bobo would walk up and the two would have a sweet reunion and swear to continue their never-ending battle... with sushi!! After Beauty freaks out like she always does, Patch and Bo-Bobo will then have a tag team wrestling match against two pieces of sushi, in which Don Patch will get pummled and damn-near killed, causing Bo-Bobo to have a dramatic "I can't live without him" type sob-fest, but then scream "OH WELL!!" and throw him away...

That's how utterly insane Don Patch is!
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Bobobo is so amazing. It is like the funniest show ever. Although, they really need to do something to spice it up. Since it started coming on again after christmas, it has been kinda dull. Hopefully the addition of another insane character (Jelly Jiggler) will spice it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2