• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Out of Print List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildarmsheero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
At least they're weeding out a lot of the bullshit ("cine-manga" of The Simple Life, etc).
uberfrosch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
But what's with the return issue (not understanding it)?

That's probably aimed at retailers (Barnes & Noble, etc.) and/or distributors (Ingram, Diamond, whoever handles distribution for Tokyopop... they're middlemen between publishers and retailers). It means that retailers or distributors can't return the product to the publisher and expect reimbursement past that date.
aisasami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and what about Sailor Moon? Shouldn't it be on that list?

Scroll down the page.

I never knew they had PR manga. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Dang. Now that means I have to get off my butt and go buy some of these titles, the ones I want, before they're weeded off the shelf.

I guess that means my local Borders and B&N shelves will be dominated by Viz now...
winnietheblue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, Amazon Clamp's Clover as being released as a box set March 30. Could not find a similar announcement on Tokyo Pop's website. Does anyone have other information?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Shame about 009. That's a great, underappreciated series. The recent anime gets no love, either, despite being an excellent series and better than 90% of the other shows on Toonami.

I'm glad I read all of Kodocha already. But it's too bad not too many other people will get to in the future...
Truth_Teller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
It's definitely a licensing issue. The trend I've noticed is that they do not want to pay for licensing fees or at least curb their spending costs on them. That's why they are pumping resources into developing their own manga. IMO, they're purely second rate, if that. By owning their own titles, they won't have to pay any more licensing fees. They're pretty much trying to do everything in-house...even the creative part of things. That's the scary part. They're not a creative content development company. Just a licensing one.
guyverfanboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 doesn't surprise me considering the old school style art.
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
I buy most of my manga on Ebay anyway. >_>
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:59 am Reply with quote
Crap, Parasyte is OOP? I really liked that manga series. Read it while Tokyopop was still "Mixxzine".

Never got to collect all of it, though. Now it looks like it's going to be even harder to....unless they re-print it. Would be a good idea since the original printing was all over the place. the first two or three volumes were in Mixx's "Pocket Manga" style, the rest were standard manga size.

Wouldn't mind them re-realsing it in traditional right-to-left format, either...
adam_omega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote
Parasyte's first volume was released as a pocket manga for the first print...and then reprinted larger for the second. All the other volumes were printed large. Magic Knight Rayearth Vol. 1's first print (very rare) was also pocket manga sized and large for the second print.
apple pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:30 am Reply with quote
i think TokyoPop is over.

they seem to think OEL is the future. I only want japanese comics and that's that. there are plenty for me to choose from without having to force myself to read unexpeirienced american manga. viz sells shonen jump titles for 8 bucks. why would i pay 10 for OEL?

Del Rey and Viz are what I consider awesome.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote
Urg, I guess I need to get around to picking up the rest of the Cyborg 009 series.

Also, I noticed some of the titles, such as Cardcaptor Sakura, were speficially marked as a L-R format... which makes me wonder if the rereleased R-L format is still going to be available. Confused
hanachan01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge Clamp fan, and was looking foward to picking Clover and Suki and the CCS art books up sometimes....I have Shirahime-Syo hard cover though-it's really nice, I'd recommend it. The story's ok, but the art is really beautiful. Oh well, I was kinda hoping for a R-L release of Clover....guess I won't be getting it....I'll be searching for scantilation sites now. I also wanted to read Kodocha because of the anime coming out and all.

I have the first 5 Sailor Moon, and read the entire series, and all of Marmalade boy, so I'm happy about that.

Quote:
Also, I noticed some of the titles, such as Cardcaptor Sakura, were speficially marked as a L-R format... which makes me wonder if the rereleased R-L format is still going to be available.

I don't think getting rid of the L-R formats will affect the R-L releases.
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Dranxis wrote:
Does this apply to all of the out-of-print titles? Because some of them seem like newer licenses that just didn't sell well. It's too bad about Cyborg 009: I'm just glad I scooped up the last volume of that recently. It's unfortunate that such a classic didn't receive the attention it should've gotten...

It's speculation on my part, and I guarantee its accurate for most of the titles. Some of them might just be financial consideration though...

I don't see how you can guarantee that. The fact is that almost all of them are going out of print because they don't sell well and the bookstores aren't ordering any more copies and haven't done so for months. If something's never going to be reprinted (and if bookstores don't want something, there's no reason to reprint it), it makes sense to take them out of print so you don't take a financial hit from returns from bookstores after that 6-month window. (Ever since the 1930s, under an industry practice first instituted in order to keep bookstores from going under during the Depression, publishing companies have let bookstores return (for a refund) books that don't sell. But when a book goes out of print, then 6 months after that fact is advertised, returns no longer have to be accepted.)

With SOME of the titles the license has expired, but not all. Of course, though, some licensing contracts include a clause that says if it goes out of print, the license automatically reverts, so in those cases the difference is academic.

However, for those of you asking "where am I going to get my CLAMP (etc.) books now?"--if you want the books, you can still go out and buy them. They don't magically disappear from the shelves. Not every bookstore will return the books, if they still think they can sell them, so there should be plenty of copies still floating around. (And things like used bookshops and eBay and whatnot are also good sources--the returns option only applies to retail stock.)

Also, this does not mean that TOKYOPOP has no interest in releasing unflipped editions of certain older titles like Sailor Moon and Clover. Whether or not that can happen is a licensing issue unrelated to the old flipped versions going out of print.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3