• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-08-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Djm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman was the first anime I fell in love with.

I turn 29 in a month. I am that guy without the gut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Okay, this is probably going to turn out to be a really stupid question, but what does "K.O.R." stand for? I'm trying to think of an anime that can be shortened to those letters, and nothing is coming to mind.

Kimagure Orange Road

And I pretty much identify with everything in this strip. This was my high school years in the late 90s. Want anime merch? A trip from some bootleg goods in China Town. Watch a 9th gen tape of DBZ that you can't even see the picture really, been there. Truly, terrible dubs. I remember Cowboy Bebop and Trigun came out and blew everyone out of the water on how good the dubs were. Now you might get a stinker every once and a while but for the most part, are actually not bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm 23 and while I didn't really start collecting anime until recently, I do recall watching Tenchi on vhs. Also, I remember watching Sailor Moon and she was eating donuts. Does she not eat those anymore or something?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I just turned 27 last week and man...

I know exactly...I would go buy tapes at Japan Town or Suncoast and sometimes I would get as gifts then the DVDs started taking over and thankfully I adapted quickly. I still have tapes of Sailor Moon for collectors value...Since it hasn't come back in anime form.

And I remember when manga were in comic form... not just in the novel form, no you had to buy and wait for the "Trade Paperbacks"...

Now if you excuse me I have to go sit in a corner and cry for a bit a realizing that I'm old....
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
DRWii wrote:
Okay, this is probably going to turn out to be a really stupid question, but what does "K.O.R." stand for? I'm trying to think of an anime that can be shortened to those letters, and nothing is coming to mind.

Kimagure Orange Road

Ah, thanks. I think I only ever saw one episode of the TV series a few years ago, so that's probably why I had trouble thinking of it.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
I just turned 27 last week and man...

I know exactly...I would go buy tapes at Japan Town or Suncoast

SUNCOAST! I loved that place. I remember trying to get my old man to buy me a Sailor Jupiter figure from there. Aside from little shops here and there, that was really the only place in my area that had any anime. I miss that place.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been into anime since 1997 so I can relate to some extent. However when I started VHS tapes were available enough that I did not have to deal with fansubs or bootleg stuff.

To you guys in your late 20s or early 30s you are not old yet. I don't want to be 30 again, I'd have to go back to work, but damn, I wish I felt like I did then. For the record after you hit 30 it is all down hill. It doesn't get better than it is now.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Yep, this is hitting pretty close to home. One of my young anime buddies always gives me shit about being the old anime guy who used to get 8th generation fansubs on VHS.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
32 next month and I blame Jonathan Ross for all the money i've spent on anime over the years ever since he presented Akira on BBC2 back in 1991. Shocked God it doesn't seem that long ago at all.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

Your comment makes me think about how back in the day, there was so little anime to go around in the U.S. that if you were an "anime fan", it essentially meant that you had watched the same 25-30 anime titles as every other anime fan. You couldn't be as choosy about genre or studio or whatever, because you only had what you had. The interesting thing about fandom back then was that everyone knew about the same shows, the same in jokes, the same terms, and there was a real sense of community amongst fans. You might not have been the biggest fan of KOR, but you'd have watched it, knew what it was, and talked about it with your friends. It was actually a pretty neat experience, and I wish fans today would be more supportive and inclusive of one another.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

That'll be Kimakure Orange Road.

By the way 40 here. Smile
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm only 26, but I still feel like that guy. Mostly because any time someone talks to me about anime, they're about 20, and only got into it within the last few years, whereas I've been in it since I was 10, spending a full month's allowance on a single subbed anime VHS special-ordered from OnCue. I've never felt so old as when someone called Azumanga Daioh 'some old anime'. And I realized they must have been about 10 when that came out.

Then again, Dragon Ball started in the 80s, and I still don't consider that 'old' anime, so maybe my perspective is skewed.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Isn't 30 still kind of young? I was expecting the guy to say like 45 or something. That way he would have experienced anime in the late 80s (because he would have been < 7 years old at that time, not really old enough to be into such an indie hobby at the time).

Is there something I'm missing in the punchline?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Hey I just turned 30 myself, be nice. XD

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
36, old enough to remember finding R-rated Streamline and UK Manga Corps releases buried in the children's' section of video stores. And naturally these were the releases that were punched-up with excessive amounts of profanity in order to prove that this "wasn't kids stuff," just to go along with the violence and occasional nudity these old releases would contain.

So mixed in with all the Disney, Don Bluth, etc., you had Violence Jack, Angel Cop, Mad Bull 34, Cyber City Oedo 88 and many more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7