Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-01-19]


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
redcomet15



Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 42
Location: I just don't know anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
For the person that asked the first question regarding what anime he or she may enjoy, I would also recommend Berserk. A bit bloody for some, but a great series regardless.

I have to say, Answerman's usual dose of harsh reality had me feeling a little down this week. But then I saw the cat and bunny pic. And for whatever reason, it did make me feel better. Imagine that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zhir



Joined: 03 Dec 2005
Posts: 350
Location: Nampa, ID, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
To the one who wants to make anime, you said you've written some manga, try to get that published first, if you can THEN you can look into making anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter



Joined: 13 May 2004
Posts: 2992
Location: Los Angelas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Isn't most anime in japan adapted from establish manga? And most original idea anime are offend written by professional writer that have experience in writing for show (anime, sitcom, novel, live action).

Credential is aboslutely important. Can you imagine a nobody in japan wanting to give his script to hollywood production company to produce a movie?

The best way to break into the bizz is to put out your own OEL manga and pray it get insanely popular. Look at Ragnarok, it went from popular Korean manga to insanely popular Online game to Anime adaption.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
oe



Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
To add to Answerman's suggestions re: anime with substance, or at least some depth, I would suggest the following shows:

Planetes

um... I thought I had a bunch more, but I can't think of them right now. From the little I've seen of Mushishi, I think it will be worth picking up when it is licensed. GitS:SAC isn't as contemplative as the movies, but to me that was good a thing-- I think any show that can communicate substance via a great story is better than listening to philosophical twaddle that is way more soporific than revelatory. Sorry.

Anyway, if you get Planetes, I can't imagine you'd regret it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xvkarbear



Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 21
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
discussing fruits basket:

I don't know why everyone is so angry over Akito from fruits basket. I think the character makes much more sense now. The jealousy is much more understandable. Perhaps it wasn't planned originally, maybe it was. Anyone who'd quit reading over that must not like the series enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 3470
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
It's the damn tongue-in-cheek "Cutiepie" petition that's the reason that so many rather credulous people still believe the damn "George Bush wants to ban anime" urban legend.

I can't believe that the thing is still making the rounds of message boards as though it's meant to be taken seriously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
noneko_Mamimi



Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
redcomet15 wrote:
I have to say, Answerman's usual dose of harsh reality had me feeling a little down this week. But then I saw the cat and bunny pic. And for whatever reason, it did make me feel better. Imagine that.


Honestly, I found the answer to be very appropriate and well stated. However, I was really bothered that the Fruits basket spoiler one was included. I know it has a warning, but really, that can't help wandering eyes, and I did feel that the subject of the spoiler made sense throughout the manga, and wasn't a last minute desicion. It seemed to explain Akito's not wanting any of the males to fall in love with a woman.

xvkarbear wrote:
discussing fruits basket:

I don't know why everyone is so angry over Akito from fruits basket. I think the character makes much more sense now. The jealousy is much more understandable. Perhaps it wasn't planned originally, maybe it was. Anyone who'd quit reading over that must not like the series enough.


My thoughts exactly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
kusanagi-sama



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Posts: 1688
Location: Wichita Falls, TX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It's the damn tongue-in-cheek "Cutiepie" petition that's the reason that so many rather credulous people still believe the damn "George Bush wants to ban anime" urban legend.

I can't believe that the thing is still making the rounds of message boards as though it's meant to be taken seriously.


I can't believe that there is 6158 signers to this petition (mostly blasting her for this)!

FYI... Here's the person and group who created this stupid petion:
The Lets Save America - Ban Anime Now Petition to George Bush was created by Responsible Americans Against Child Exploitation and written by Dennis Fuller ([email protected])


Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu



Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 713
Location: Northern California (SF Bay Area)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote = From the Mr.Answerman Column]Actually, a lot of people are angry about this because it's so obviously a last-minute decision that was decided way after the anime series aired. [/quote]

I disagree that i was a last minute decision. I read the manga after watching the series and in the first few volumes or so. spoiler[Shigure hints that he has some sort of relationship with Akito by saying about some plan (i don't remember well) he had with Akito, and because of this, it made SHigure look a little gay (and Akito as well... but maybe this is the fact many fangirls like to make any sort of pairing...)
In the anime series it was left out because they didn't know what it really meant (that is why a manga series should finish before an anime is made...) ]


Last edited by shirokiryuu on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shirokiryuu



Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 713
Location: Northern California (SF Bay Area)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
It's the damn tongue-in-cheek "Cutiepie" petition that's the reason that so many rather credulous people still believe the damn "George Bush wants to ban anime" urban legend.

I can't believe that the thing is still making the rounds of message boards as though it's meant to be taken seriously.


I can't believe that there is 6158 signers to this petition!

FYI... Here's the person and group who created this stupid petion:
The Lets Save America - Ban Anime Now Petition to George Bush was created by Responsible Americans Against Child Exploitation and written by Dennis Fuller ([email protected])


"Neko332"? I don't know, but it sounds like the type of name an anime fan usually chooses ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Necros Antiquor



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 571
Location: Funny in a car crash sort of way

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Look at Ragnarok, it went from popular Korean manga to insanely popular Online game to Anime adaption.

A game and anime adaption that really didn't have much to do with the original story or material, but at least they looked similar!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 3470
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:

"Neko332"? I don't know, but it sounds like the type of name an anime fan usually chooses ...


Yes, the whole thing is one big joke to yank the chains of the sort of anime fans with the "the backlash is coming any day now" persecution complex.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 1823
Location: Tekkoshocon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Shifting off of the angsty angsty stuff for a minute, should it be sad that I know the actual dialog and that it's probably just as funny as what's going to be submitted?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheoryGirl



Joined: 04 Apr 2005
Posts: 65
Location: CT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's hard to get a good caption in when you know what the real dialogue is....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Abarenbo Shogun



Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Posts: 1573

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It's the damn tongue-in-cheek "Cutiepie" petition that's the reason that so many rather credulous people still believe the damn "George Bush wants to ban anime" urban legend.

I can't believe that the thing is still making the rounds of message boards as though it's meant to be taken seriously.


Actually, let's expand on the whole "Dubya is gonna ban (everything you can put into this space) ZOMG!!!" thing a tad bit.

http://news.yahoo.com/​s/​ap/​20060120/​ap_on_hi_te/​google_records

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO - Google Inc. is rebuffing the Bush administration's demand for a peek at what millions of people have been looking up on the Internet's leading search engine — a request that underscores the potential for online databases to become tools for government surveillance.

Mountain View-based Google has refused to comply with a White House subpoena first issued last summer, prompting U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales this week to ask a federal judge in San Jose for an order to hand over the requested records.

The government wants a list all requests entered into Google's search engine during an unspecified single week — a breakdown that could conceivably span tens of millions of queries. In addition, it seeks 1 million randomly selected Web addresses from various Google databases.

In court papers that the San Jose Mercury News reported on after seeing them Wednesday, the Bush administration depicts the information as vital in its effort to restore online child protection laws that have been struck down by the
U.S. Supreme Court.


So yeah, downloading He Is My Master via bittorrent might label you as a potential pedophille or looking at pages devoted to Battle Royale might label you as a Traitor to the USA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group