• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-01-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
I'd be surprised if half of the submissions you get weren't Dane Cook quotes or people trying to be random by tossing around "pie" or "cheese" or various farm animals.

Hey, suck my back.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote
Not before I sacrifice you to the Jelly gods.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:20 am Reply with quote
Hideyuki wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Wow, that's some good stuff. I should write a book.

No, no you shouldn't. Telling people talentless hacks get all the work isn't advice, it's telling people they don't have to actually be good at what they do to be successful...

And you say you're trying to do this too? So, does that make you...

That's not what he's saying. He's trying to emphasize that hard work is more important than talent. Which is true. If person A has all the talent in the world but no motivation, and person B has only mediocre talent (or less!) but a strong work ethic, fantastic PR skills, and undying energy, then person B will undoubtedly succeed and person A will likely go nowhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:20 am Reply with quote
I can't believe no one has suggested "Vision of Escaflowne" to that guy. It's very epicy and a really unique and gripping story. Plus he also mentioned said he loved "Cowboy Bebop" and "Wolf's Rain". "Escaflowne" was made by the same studio and many of the same creative talents worked on it.

I think "Revolutionary Girl Utena" is very "meaty" and epicy too. As long as he doesn't mind a lot of shoujo elements, it certainly has the visual theatrics he'd be looking for.

Last edited by Jerseymilk on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:50 am Reply with quote
Confused...

Hideyuki wrote:
Well theres a difference between actually working to be good, and just puting forth minimal artistic effort. The way he makes it sound is that you can just be kind of blah with your art[or have no talent at all]. You have to have some talent, I can't just start cooking and instantly be called a chef, I'd just be cooking. You can't just doodle pictures and call yourself an artist.

That's really the only part I argue against.

Ofcourse there's also the fact that if you DO have rather good talent and you manage to make it into the business, you'll become a lot more notable. I'm willing to bet no one remembers who created Inspector Gadget(off the top of their head), then there's people like Jim Davis, there are a number of people who know him, perhaps a step above that is Charles Shultz, and then there's famous people like Disney and Miyazaki, they definently had/have talent (or atleast aquired people who have talent, but I'm more than willing to give them credit)

The way it is phrased seems misleading to me.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote
Hideyuki wrote:
Well theres a difference between actually working to be good, and just puting forth minimal artistic effort. The way he makes it sound is that you can just be kind of blah with your art. You have to have some talent, I can't just start cooking and instantly be called a chef, I'd just be cooking. You can't just doodle pictures and call yourself an artist.

That's really the only part I argue against.

Ofcourse there's also the fact that if you DO have rather good talent and you manage to make it into the business, you'll become a lot more notable. I'm willing to bet no one remembers who created Inspector Gadget(off the top of their head), then there's people like Jim Davis, there are a number of people who know him, perhaps a step above that is Charles Shultz, and then there's famous people like Disney and Miyazaki, they definently had/have talent (or atleast aquired people who have talent, but I'm more than willing to give them credit)

Well, I think Cloe put this more directly than I have here. Apologies for the rambling quote. it's early. Anime hyper

Talent is subjective. Most people have SOME amount of talent at SOMETHING. Whether or not it can be directly applied to what you want to do is another story. Take Don Hertzfeldt, for example. He can't draw worth anything (admittedly), but he's very funny. And he works his ass off. And he was nominated for an Oscar for a short film about stick figures. Doing your craft all the time and constantly striving for improvement usually makes you at least good enough at something to achieve SOME level of success.

What I'm saying is, once you work with some of the "professionals" out there who have made a good living for themselves doing what they do... it's pretty hard to argue they have any real talent at all. On the flip side of things, there are lots of amazingly talented unemployed. To take your example of cartoon creators, there are plenty of really crappy cartoons on the comics page, and on Saturday morning. (I mean, Filmation and Hanna Barbera made a whole cottage industry out of low-budget and usually brain-dead cartoons -- many of which are pretty famous.)

I can't deny that there are some people who do try really hard but aren't successful because they suck so hard. IMHO, most of those people aren't learning from their mistakes, and likely have not fully educated themselves on their craft. If they weren't deluded, they would realize they're not there yet.
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
Actually what I find funny is that no one has mentioned RahXephon yet. Which in my opinion fixes all of the storytelling problems that were in Eva. Actually a couple other ones I would reccommend that are a bit more off the beaten track would be Argentosoma and Kaze no Yojimbo.

Argentosoma is definitely epic, but suffers from some weak side characters. However it has the one of the best anti-heroes. Ryu Soma avoids the whiny nobody-loves-me mecha pilot and the hooker with the heart of gold complexes. Kaze no Yojimbo is a bit more like Twin Peaks, and while not epic certainly is different than any other anime I've seen. A couple others I might reccomend would be Gungrave and Gunslinger Girl. Just some thoughts there Smile

Quote:
Notice I never said "be talented." A lot of people who "make it" aren't talented at all. They just work harder than everyone else. Most of the people who fail are the ones who just sit there, waiting for the world to notice them. And they never learn.

I actually have to agree with this point. Yes, there are some really talented people out there in both literature and films and animation, but they are rare. In fact they are much more rare than the amount of stuff that is out there. Writing isn't really a talent it is a skill, and like any skill it can be learned. The same goes with film making and drawing.

Now the talented people can make something that is truly earth shaking, but I dare anyone to tell me that James Cameron is talented. Or Joel Silver. Or Kohta Hirano for that matter. They might make entertaining movies, but nothing they do shows any real talent. They just learned how to fake it well. *shrugs* Just my two cents
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Hey Answerman as cute as kittens are could we have a real cat instead...they're much cuter

I mean just look at him...
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Wow, that's some good stuff. I should write a book.

Only if you tell weird-out stories about, I dunno... Ishikawa balancing senbei on the heads of Kitakubo's pets, or something...

Hideyuki wrote:

And you say you're trying to do this too? So, does that make you...

Justin's probably seen more first-hand anime production than any one else here, so I suppose he can make these generalisations more confidently.

@Joe Mello:
I think what "makes" that strip is the immediate transition from casual joking to IMPENDING DOOM - which is almost all in the visuals, really. Especially with the rather odd use of the normally placid seating equipment...
oe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Harleen Quinzel wrote:

When they quote a scene from Indiana Jones on Family Guy, they don't call that "lifting lines"; they call that parody, and people laugh at it because it's funny. Performing lines from a TV show or a movie in the inappropriate context of another work of media for the sake of humor.

And yet nobody who submits verbatim quotes from TV shows or movies has ever provided a funny caption. Half of them try to submit quotes from Family Guy and other sources without crediting them at all.

Just come up with your own joke. That's all I ask.

What, cribbing from Shakespeare is no good without giving him credit? Shinji telling Kaoru, "Olivier was a hack!" isn't funny!? ...somehow I suspect I will never ever win one of these contests. Not that I won't keep trying.

Yeah, I'd have to add my endorsement for Last Exile and Escaflowne. And I know it's not as serious, or deep, but Full Metal Panic! is up there with those other shows for me, and actually has some substance to it. Go watch Planetes!
Caro-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I definitely have to second the recommendations for Escaflowne and Last Exile, and especially Planetes. Each DVD I see of that show expands the world and the characters exponentially. It's simply wonderful. Plus, DVD 5 comes out next week! *happy dance* I love Planetes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
To the one who wants to make anime, you said you've written some manga, try to get that published first, if you can THEN you can look into making anime.

And learn Japanese. I doubt that you could get into the anime industry without knowing it. It's amazing that some people think that it's just so *easy* for them to get in. It's much easier to work with others if you can converse with one another easily.

Tammy
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Nerdboy Himself wrote:
Y'know, I was going to bust out of lurking just to recommend Scrapped Princess (shown at PJAC Fall '04, 1st Hour), but it seems I've been beaten to the punch.

Also, just to appease our old friend Joe Mello, I will mention UFO (Princess||Ultramaiden) (Walküre||Valkyrie) for no particular reason.

I <3s teh shout out, but I wouldn't recommend UFO Somethingorother unless you're totally aware about what you were getting into.

Genshiken anyone?
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but it's not like you can have no talent in what you're doing, or atleast something related. Or if you can make a connection yourself. Someone could be a great military strategist, but chances are they'd suck at writing a book on philosophy (unless ofcourse they where interested in it as a hobby...)

My point being, you can't be completely talentless/skilled, you have to atleast have some vauge possible idea as to what you're doing. You can't make crap and expect most people to like it (people who like crap might, but generally you won't get people who know their stuff to like it)
Osaka-neechan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
About "making" anime and/or manga...I pretty much agree with what has already been said. But I think nowadays, if there's any "good" manga made in English (even outside the U.S. and Canada, if it's good enough...and maybe, ironically, more importantly...popular enough)--with well-done artwork and decent plot, it may have a chance to make it out there more than it would have, say, even three years ago.

Tokyopop is of course taking selections of OEL (Original English Language) manga, and most of them aren't that great...not even a lot of the artwork. And of course, they don't have the variety of plots and characters that actual Japanese manga has...or even the feeling (if you think about it rationally though, Japanese manga and anime has been going on for a while, and the first few weren't the best). Yet they're "decent", maybe a few better ones coming out. Also, there's a company called Seven Seas Entertainment, and the entire focus OEL work that they have can pretty much be said the same thing, except for a few that seem and are interesting... You can give them a shot, for sure.

Then again, even with fantastic plot that OEL manga has yet to seen, characters that are more unique than most, the important thing is actually WORKING on it, not treating it as something you might quit on once you get bored, keeping pace and quality, et cetera, et cetera...and yes, firm plotline and characters are necessary, though even with them, you'll probably get rejected quite a few times. You have to contact the right people, too, but sometimes that isn't not be enough...

Sometimes, work needs a build of popularity. Nothing becomes #1 overnight, as it's often said...for those of you who are writing and drawing English (or Italien, or whatever) manga out (and seriously, it has to be written and drawn well, not a couple of random sketches), you might want to make it a webcomic. The newly-named Comic Genesis allows comic-hosting for free (I think...needs to be clarified...) for a mininum bandwidth. When you do post it up, it'd be recommended to enlist yourself in well-known webcomic ranking websites, such as Top Webcomics, Buzz Comics, and Online Comics, so there'll be at least a minor fanbase for your work (Online Comics is really just for that--the fans, not the number of times a webcomic's been voted on). For every good piece of writing and art, it needs its few hardcore fans who'll stick for a while. Don't be crestfallen because your ranking is seriously low and not many people are reading it. It'll be like that for a while, but if the work's any good at all, it'll get higher...and though you might never even make it to the top fifty, or even a top hundred, there's a pretty good chance if your art has at least some quality, and your plot's not treading dangerously in deep water, you have a chance at making it.

Everyone has their own way of working it out, of course. Some people get lucky, some people have gained popularity after a few years of actual hard work (mostly on the Internet--examples: the webcomics of Inverloch and Earthsong), and some people have the right connections (such as striking a deal with Seven Seas Entertainment early, instead of starting out a simple Comic Genesis webcomic...though I don't know how that works). Basically, you have to put some sort of effort into it.

I haven't mentioned "anime", because as of now, it's honestly true that you have to learn Japanese to go anywhere there, because the notion of "English-produced anime" isn't going anywhere at the moment.

Oh, yeah, probably the best thing with your work...enjoy yourself...don't worry too much...if you're not having fun and getting depressive, probably the sign that it's not working for you...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5