• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion #1 at Amazon - Sort of...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WristBandMan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
bah, didn't this just happened last month on overstock.com?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
WristBandMan wrote:
bah, didn't this just happened last month on overstock.com?

Yeah it did. But overstock charge you before item was shipped.

As for it being #1 on Amazon, it's nothing new when it comes to a major price mistake which get spread around the internet like wildfire. You got a bunch of people ordering it and don't even know what they're getting. Some will order multiple copies just so they're just ordering it to sell on ebay.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Mwahahaha! That just SHOWS how popular the show is Anime hyper Shame it wasnt for $6 though....I'd buy it faster than you can say 'Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Edition Thin Pack is up for $6 on Amazon.com!'
Hajime06

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I bought into it on the small chance it would be honored. It's unlikely it would go through, but even if there is a 1/100,000,000 chance, it's worth it.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Not like there was anything to lose on it. Ordered 2 copies. Woulda made one helluva cheap birthday gift for a friend.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
konosuke15 wrote:
Mwahahaha! That just SHOWS how popular the show is Anime hyper Shame it wasnt for $6 though....I'd buy it faster than you can say 'Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Edition Thin Pack is up for $6 on Amazon.com!'

Hold on, soldier. Some people on forums like GameFaqs were ordering dozens of copies, some over 100.
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Laughing This has to be the funniest thing I've heard about online shopping sites. It seems that someone was able to manipulate the price. Of course, so many people ordering a copy is probably how Amazon detected the problem in the first place. I wonder how long it'll take them to remove the #1 ranking from the item.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Amazon.com is required by Federal Law to honor those prices if you ordered them and paid for them at that time. If they don't, complaaints can be filed through your State Attorney's General office or your local/state Better Business Bureau.

If Amazon doesn't honor it, they can be held accountable for not only fines but they can also be required to also honor those prices. This is what's known as the "Price/Scan Law." It's there, all retailers are required by law to honor the advertised price.
Walkabout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
They weren't charged, though the Overstock orders were, in return(besides refunding) we got a $5 in store credit...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
konosuke15 wrote:
Mwahahaha! That just SHOWS how popular the show is XD Shame it wasnt for $6 though....I'd buy it faster than you can say 'Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Edition Thin Pack is up for $6 on Amazon.com!'

Hold on, soldier. Some people on forums like GameFaqs were ordering dozens of copies, some over 100.

Yeah, the only way I could believe a #1 ranking is that it's mostly people buying for eBay.

While I wouldn't dispute the relatively large popularity of Evangelion within the fandom niche, especially among "old school" fans, if the information I've read about the November sweeps month ratings on Adult Swim is valid, and since I don't pay to get the actual Nielsen data, I have no real way of knowing one way or another, it floundered in the AS ratings in November, with the best-rated airing ranking only 108th out of all airings of all AS shows during "sweeps month".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shingen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Actually, this happened a couple years back with Marmalade Boy boxset 1, but only on amazon.ca - only it was a MUCH better deal - 99 freakin' cents.

Due to the way Canadian laws work, however, all orders of THAT were honored.

Actual screengrab:

http://forums.wpganime.ca/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=6412
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I would think they would HAVE to honor it if you paid for it. If not, what they are engaging in is false advertising. I know this happens in stores sometimes, where the price on the box is cheaper than what it rings up as. If you complain enough, you can usually get it for the lower price. You can't advertise a price for a car and then when you show up, you find out it's actually a higher price. Glitch or not is irrelevant.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The proble is that since Amazon.com advertised the $5 price they were obligated to sell that item for that price at the time the orders were placed. They can't backtrack and say "oops we goofed so now you get the higher price." That philosophy just doesn't work. I imagine that the FTC, the BBB and the State Attorney's General will be filing complaints against Amazon.com once the complaints start rolling in.
Nunka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
konosuke15 wrote:
Mwahahaha! That just SHOWS how popular the show is Anime hyper

I was actually thinking the exact opposite---it's so ironic that Evangelion, as awful as it is, could be #1 in anything other than a crazed otaku's top ten list. Cool
Caro-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Stuff like this actually happens all the time on hotel and airfare sites. I've heard of deals like $150 or $200 for non-stop round-trip flights cross-country. It usually happens because a decimal point gets shifted somehow.

EDIT: About honoring the offer - I'm pretty sure what other people have said on here is true: if your credit card was immediately charged for that price, then I do think they have to honor it. If there's a delay, though, and you actually haven't paid for it yet, then they can change it back. I could be wrong, though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4