• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Zealand Passes Internet Copyright Bill

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
There are still 4 ways/means to get your anime/manga fix.

2 are illegal
1 is legal
1 is " hazy in terms of legality, but get it while you can before it's taken down "
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow. They really don't have better things to do than spying on peoples fileshare from a govermental level. Maybe this will give birth to a new form a filesharing.
selfDemanDeD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I think encryption of the traffic could become very popular in New Zealand.

About anime/manga - if the title isn't licensed in NZ, I think they wouldn't actually mind the sharing, because it doesn't damage the copyright holders in NZ.

But now some crappy movies won't even be downloaded, I guess. Laughing
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Dam that is a high price to pay getting caught
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
I think I read about this a year or two ago. Read the article about this bill for research purposes and at that time, it still was in the "beta" stages if you will. In essence of course, it still wasn't an actual bill at said time.

Truthfully, I wasn't sure if this would pass or not. I've read several articles about Internet Copyright bills and it's rather interesting to see a bill passed.

All I can say at this point is wait and see. Time will tell the results ultimately.
Zump

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Wow. They really don't have better things to do than spying on peoples fileshare from a govermental level. Maybe this will give birth to a new form a filesharing.

With the continuous advancement of technology, I wouldn't be surprised if people are already finding ways around copyright bills like this one.
glacialflames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
This is just stupid. How the hell are they going to enforce an "internet suspension"? Internet is available everywhere these days, from schools, libraries, workplace computers, cafes, and many more. Realistically, how are they going to stop you?

Also, what if the person charged has a job? You know, the kind that requires one to respond to work related e-mails in a timely manner? Or how about life important stuff like online banking?

First person charged will have a damn good court defense for that part.

And even if the first person charged is a teenager whose stuck under their parents rules (likely), realistically, in modern schools, you can't do assignments properly without internet. Yes, some of you may say they could learn from libraries, thats what books are for, etc, etc, but really, there's a lot of stuff that can only be found on the internet (or none of the libraries have it even if it is available offline). Also, every second person has a laptop, which the convictee will just borrow anyway.

I see this as one more in a long line of basically useless laws meant to scare people away, but realistically, completely incapable of fulfilling the role that it is meant to play.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
That's rather unpleasant.
Perhaps if these so-called "creative industries" would focus on updating to relevant business models that adapt to placate consumer demand in the Internet era rather than stubbornly relying on archaic, covetous platforms and punishing people for retaliating in kind, they might realize that there is a sustainable framework to be built. But business is business, people are people and I have a feeling this is a war they're going to lose.
Frankly, I'm not so sad about "creative industries" taking a blow. It's the actual creators I concern myself over.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Wow. They really don't have better things to do than spying on peoples fileshare from a govermental level.

New Zealand is a small country. There are more sheep than people there. Of course they have time! Laughing

selfDemanDeD wrote:

About anime/manga - if the title isn't licensed in NZ, I think they wouldn't actually mind the sharing, because it doesn't damage the copyright holders in NZ.

It's still up to the Japanese worldwide rights-holders. If they want their works monitored, then the NZ government would have to comply.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
This just brings New Zealand in line with Japan where it has been illegal to download copyrigted materials since last year. Except theres no pansy 2-warning system here, the police just kick your damn door in. 18 people arrested for file sharing (not file uploading, file sharing) back in January alone. The idea in both countries is basically a scare tactic - make enough examples of people that the masses stop illegally downloading stuff. Its a shame it doesnt work.
Then again, evenm if all anime downloading was magically halted this instant it wouldnt change the average 6800yen anime bluray price here (*looks proudly at bluray Macross F collection*)
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
I don't mind harsh penalties for illegal file sharing, but I am a little confused as to what type of power it gives law enforcement officials.

Quote:
will allow the government to monitor the file-sharing activity of more than three million Internet users.

Does this just mean that they have the ability now to go and monitor who is downloading what file like anyone could (ie checking who's IP address is seeding what, could they not do this before?) or does it give them special authority to demand information from ISPs related to file sharing? If its the later its a little worrying.
Ringking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. Well, i hope this idea dosent make the jump across the pond to Australia or im screwed.

I mean, im all for the protection of copyright since its pretty much out of control these days (i know more people who download their movies/music than buy it) but anime/manga is a bit different since if its not available in your language (or in many cases, country, not everyone imports) your not really denying anyone a sale, which is why copyright laws exist in the first place.

So yeah, enforce the people who take a R1 or R4 DVD/BD home and immediately rip and upload it, but for the unlicensed stuff.....
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
I (personally) think this is a good idea.
I know a LOT of people in the entertainment business (mostly in American animated films) who have been struggling due to all these people downloading their hard work illegally.

(now if only we could get a similar bill passed in the US....)
Laughing

Last edited by Jozoiscute on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
I wonder how similar this is to the Korean "three strikes" bill (not that it will do much good, considering the ways that exist to encrypt traffic).

The New Zealand government was pretty shady in trying to get this passed, if I recall correctly. They kept trying to attach it to unrelated pieces of legislation to sneak it through, backing off whenever there was a backlash.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
I (personally) think this is a good idea.
I know a LOT of people in the entertainment business (mostly in American animated films) who have been laid off and lost their home due to all these people downloading their hard work illegally.

(now if only we could get a similar bill passed in the US....)
Laughing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3