• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo, Miku Designer Kei Make Copihan Anime for 2011

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
Near future slapstick school comedy....? Rolling Eyes

Hopefully KEI's chicken-legged designs are put to good use.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
Slapstick hmmm but what kind of slapstick 3 stooges or japaneses slapsticks
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't look too remarkable, just an average high school comedy with a "twist". Maybe it'll be the breakout hit Gonzo needs, after all this "formula" worked for K-On! & this new show has the added advantage of being remotely associated with the ever-popular vocaloid franchise.

Quote:
The anime studio Gonzo (Saki, Rosario + Vampire)
The worst part of the article is that the author felt that these 2 shows epitomized what Gonzo is. I suppose they are comparable to this new show, but they're still bland, formulaic, & utterly unremarkable. I suppose Gonzo has to copy the show patterns which have proven successful to save themselves from their financial woes, but it still pains me as I remember a time when Gonzo put out shows that weren't so prosaic. Apparently shows have to be in order to sell. Sad
(Every show I've seen from the current season is the same basic formula, only in a different guise. Sigh.)

Maybe this show's (probable) ROI will allow Gonzo to start making shows that again deviate from the banal formula we've grown accustomed to. To reference the closing remarks of the "X button" column, this could be the "yugioh" for Gonzo.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Quote:

The worst part of the article is that the author felt that these 2 shows epitomized what Gonzo is.

For better or worse, those are the two shows that Gonzo chose to epitomize itself when promoting Copihan. Please see the posters that Gonzo produced for Machi Asobi:

http://gigazine.jp/img/2011/05/04/copihan_machiasobi6/P1320343.JPG
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Quote:

The worst part of the article is that the author felt that these 2 shows epitomized what Gonzo is.

For better or worse, those are the two shows that Gonzo chose to epitomize itself when promoting Copihan. Please see the posters that Gonzo produced for Machi Asobi:

http://gigazine.jp/img/2011/05/04/copihan_machiasobi6/P1320343.JPG
Without being told that the studio themselves put that in their promo material, it is all but impossible that I should know it. Thanks for the correction.

That poster exhibits the always-curious tendency of the Japanese to put a huge proportion of their "Japanese language" works in English. A boon to those such as I who have not put forth the effort to acquire a profound knowledge of written Japanese. However, there is always some vital information that is "obfuscated" by being written in Japanese (in a sea of English). In fighting games it's the explanations for situational moves or certain game options, in the case of the referenced picture, it is "Rosario + Vampire", as I'm not seeing that phrase in there. (Yet Saki is in English, though I didn't notice it when I skimmed the article prior to posting; it's squirreled away in the corner after all.)

To whom I attribute the referenced shows has changed, but my sentiment about the shows selected to be referenced has not. Sigh, Gonzo, Sigh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1