• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
It looks great to me. Granted, my eyesight isn't perfect, but I don't see anything that I would consider bad about the animation.

Maybe you could explain what you are seeing that I'm not. Question

It's not that anything's intensely wrong, it's great compared to most TV anime, but it's not their best.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wasn't too impressed by the visuals when I needed to be. It's definitely not KyoAni bringing their A game.

It looks great to me. Granted, my eyesight isn't perfect, but I don't see anything that I would consider bad about the animation.

Maybe you could explain what you are seeing that I'm not. Question

Visuals were great but they were not as impressive as some other works that KyoAni made.Compare it to Nichijou and you will what I am talking about.
jet_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It really does feel like a sexchanged K-ON following another school club, but it seems like it'll have more swimming in it

Don't compare this to K-ON, unlike K-ON this actually instilled an emotion in me other than complete boredom. Free isn't the best thing ever but it's a lot better than K-ON.

Hah.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Don't compare Free to K-ON, unlike Free K-ON actually instilled an emotion in me other than complete boredom. K-ON isn't the best thing ever but it's a lot better than Free.

I'm the best debater.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

I don't know. K-ON! was rather wishy-washy with the music aspect though that was mostly them adhering to the source material.

i woudl disagree there, you can't blame the source material when they turn 9 pages of manga (a 4koma manga even) into a full episode. it was kyoani decision to add random/garbage filler instead of music related stuff.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Although, I wasn't too impressed by the visuals when I needed to be. It's definitely not KyoAni bringing their A game.

Haha thats funny.

...wait you were serious?

Oh look, snark from fencedude. Yes, I'm serious, go ahead and lash out like a simpleton. It's what you're best at.
Can I hug you for calling fencedude out this early in a thread, walw6pK4Alo? Please?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey, two pages and a pointless argument between Reddit a person I disagree with politically-ers and Tumblr "feminists" (they call themselves that, but they're not) about this show hasn't started yet? Come on, ANN forums, step your game up!

Seriously, thought, on-the-spot review. As a guy, I was expecting nothing but silly, pandering fan service, but I was shocked to find a mildly entertaining show underneath it all. But yes, the plot is a bit poorly paced, and pretty pithy overall. Also, the music is pretty terrible; the dubstep thrown in is just laughable.

In my personal opinion, it's one of those shows that's definitely good for sitting around and laughing at the cheesiness of, but in terms of substance, it's pretty empty and devoid of purpose. Still a fun little thing tho.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Although, I wasn't too impressed by the visuals when I needed to be. It's definitely not KyoAni bringing their A game.

Haha thats funny.

...wait you were serious?

Uh...but they aren't? Episode six was especially noticeable (as much as I enjoyed the focus on Makoto), but episode seven is the only one so far with the sheer quality I associate with KyoAni.

Well, not like it isn't head and shoulders above every other female-oriented series out there, but still...
Stall_19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Hey, two pages and a pointless argument between Reddit a person I disagree with politically-ers and Tumblr "feminists" (they call themselves that, but they're not) about this show hasn't started yet? Come on, ANN forums, step your game up!

Seriously, thought, on-the-spot review. As a guy, I was expecting nothing but silly, pandering fan service, but I was shocked to find a mildly entertaining show underneath it all. But yes, the plot is a bit poorly paced, and pretty pithy overall. Also, the music is pretty terrible; the dubstep thrown in is just laughable.

In my personal opinion, it's one of those shows that's definitely good for sitting around and laughing at the cheesiness of, but in terms of substance, it's pretty empty and devoid of purpose. Still a fun little thing tho.

These are pretty much my thoughts. There are some idiots who hate the show for targeting a demographic that isn't them and then there are those people who overpraise the show as a backlash against said idiots. I pretty much consider the show average to slightly above average.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess it's what Kyoto Animation is best at. I've seen almost every anime from the company despite how much I say I dislike them, their works don't really make me reconsider my opinion of them. Awesome production value but not really impressive story and harmless fanservice depending who the audiences are for. I can see why their anime becomes hyped but for not a very good reason. They do great jobs of adapting a light novel from a technical standpoint but to be honest, I don't find their direction that special for me. The biggest problem with their works is too much fluff, not enough tension or any thrills or unpredictability. Even Kuroko no Basketball had some sort of tension or some competitiveness between the team members while Kyoto animation delays any kind of tension until late in the series, that I think is the biggest problem of that company.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

Ok I'll bite, but probably not what you'd expect Wink

Since there are zero complaints about the fanservice here, or for that matter any otome/fujoshi show, can we expect the same standard to apply when the genders are reversed?

Can't we all just celebrate equal opportunity objectification? Laughing
(no, seriously)
Raneth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised at how much I like this show, especially after episode 7. I usually don't like slice of life shows, but something about this one is keeping me hooked.

Probably all the half naked guys, if I'm being honest with myself. Laughing
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I disagree with the pacing issues somewhat though I do agree it seems as though the show was waiting till later on to start rolling out actual character drama which seems to be in full effect now.

I have to say that while I was expecting to be at least mildly entertained by the show, I wasn't expecting to seriously enjoy it as much as I have been. It's got all the right shonen sports elements going for it, and while the manservice is occasionally more blatant than I'd like it to be, its not overwhelmingly distracting to me. It's not AOTY material as of the moment but I think it has a good chance of being one of the year's best if it delivers everything it needs to by the end.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I think a lot of commenters have made great points which mirror my own. While I do agree to an extent that the lack of true competition is a bit vexing, the pace thus far has felt organic and real to me, especially in regards to Rei not becoming an epic swimmer after two seconds.

Hope this show delivers on all its promise - it's shown subtle hints at its greater character/storytelling depth already, imho. If it can I could absolutely see myself owning this.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Kyoto Animation has been sucking since Haruhi ended. Haruhi was an awesome anime and it was funny, but Lucky Star, K-On!, K-On!!, everything else sucks. KyoAni's no prime Sunrise from 1979-2007 or prime Production IG from 1995-2006.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I am rather curious exactly what the hell happened between the two though in the past...

I think it's been explained already. There might be another twist to it, but I doubt it, since they've given enough information to make it clear what the problem is. If you were waiting for a single incident, there wasn't one, but rather a series of events that grew into the rift between them now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4