• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-01-26]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technomike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Shinji Takase wrote:
On fansubs vs R1 releases:

Personally, I like fansubs. What I find hilarious is the fact that many digisub groups have been around now for at least 5-10 years, more often than not provide high quality subs (some groups go as far as creating professional-style karaoke effects for the intro and ending songs), and follow the unwritten R1 Licensing Code (US company picks up license - group drops series like Smart Bomb).

Actually, digisubs have been around for about 5 years since bittorrent.

In addition, DVD doesn’t support karaoke. Personally, I think it's overly done, anyway.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
noneko_Mamimi wrote:

Ha, oh my god I know! If I saw 'the king' outside my window, I'd get my global kitchen knife and call the cops...

Oh, is *that* who that was? We don't get him here in Oz, so I just thought it was the King from Katamari Damacy (equally as scary, it looks like)...
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Queen of all chairs, Kiss, and Itchy. Tasty. ones were funny. Why didn't any of those get posted?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
DVD does support Karaoke, it's just R1 companies don't use it, for whatever reason.
technomike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote
Since there was a previous discussion, I'll be brief. One can add hardsubs via karaoke style on a DVD with great flexibility. However with professional studios, bitmap subtitles and with the limited DVD format, karaoke style subs are limited. In addition, it's CPU intensive it won't look good.

Perhaps the new format will be able to handle subs properly.
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:

Oh, and I DEMAND kittens next week, or I shall stage a large protest!

And!

I am sure someone will lose sleep over it.

Somewhere. On this planet.

I will lose sleep over it! I miss the kittens!
hitokirizac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
Nine times out of ten I trust R1 DVDs over fansubs, because i've seen them to be more accurate. No, I'm not perfect at it, but I do speak and understand Japanese pretty well (which defaults me to DVDs most of the time based solely on video quality and the option to leave subs off). But for the record, the Kenshin DVD translations made me want to go cry; my fansub versions were actually significantly better. Anime works in general doesn't seem to have the most wonderful TL corps. behind it -- Gunparade March had some glaring flaws at times as well, but nothing as offensive as their attempts at Kenshin's (で)ござる [(de) gozaru] super-polite endings.
This is my own personal grinding axe, as Kenshin is my favorite series, won't lie.
One thing that I did like seeing was on the earlier Nadesico DVDs, the translator actually had defenses (compared to the prominent fansubs of the show) of sticking points in his translations, concerning a few attack names as well as Japanese puns that just don't work in English. It was a nice touch that gave the translator on the DVD a little more legitimacy against the 'it's different and wrong because fansubs are teh awsom' crowd.
I do do some translations for fansubs, for the record; personally, I am pretty anal about spelling and grammar, much moreso than on, say, message board posts at 2:45 in the morning. To be honest, seeing as basically everybody has a copy of some form of word processing software available to them, there's no excuse whatsoever for spelling or grammar mistakes when you can copy and paste an entire script in and check for both in about two minutes, tops. As for professionals doing this... shame on them. They have editors and proofers for things like that. It's bad enough when fans make mistakes for unpaid fansubs; when people's hard-earned is on the line here (companies' and consumers'), it's pretty unforgivable.
I'm probably starting to ramble. I need sleep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4