• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aid For Japan Appeal in Britain

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
I have been to events where Akemi Solloway has lectured and some of my friends who are more involved in the organising side of the UK anime convention community are good friends with her. She always seems like a lovely lady, though apparently she has a lot of energy so trying to organize her events can be a bit exhausting for the gophers/volunteers and con-staff around her.

However I do have to admit, I am always a bit wary of unregistered charities. Now I know this charity might be small enough (less than £5000 a year income) to not be required to register but I am just more comfortable when a charity has a charity number. This one doesn't and isn't in the UK charity commission database. Maybe it makes me a horrible, horrible, untrusting cynic but I just like a little assurance that my money is being used for a charitable purpose and not for bloated admin fees and big salaries for the organisers. Having a charity number doesn't automatically guarantee this is the case, but it makes feel a little more confident in the charity when they have one. Which is why when I've been donating money to Japan, I've been largely going for the British Red Cross' Tsunami appeal - at least I know who the British Red Cross are.
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
According to the Aid for Japan website linked from the story, 'The charity is currently in the process of being organised and more details will be made available soon.'
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Ah I missed that; will have to take a look again later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1