• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
US Premiere: Blue Exorcist 2: Gehenna Gate

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
At first I was skeptical, but the slower pace really adds to Blue Exorcist. The one-off church characters actually got some action, and everyone was fleshed out a lot more.

I hope they do a good job of the next episode. It's when the academy stuff starts, so they could turn off a lot of people if they don't do it right.
biribirimizore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
i think they did good with this anime so far but you never know what will happen with the people in charge. while i agree that some people may become bored with the same story as the manga i know for sure that i won't the manga was good quality and I'm still reading it and i strongly suggest you do if you like this anime. well anyway this isn't a recommendation post so I'll cut down to the chase. the art is really good quality as far as I'm concerned. i have three basic categories that i classify are with
the first being soft or abstract that lets your imagination fill in the details or gives a sense of mystery, the second being sharp with realistic detail that shows you how it is. finally the third being a mix of both whether it's one way or more of the other.
the classification that i would give Ao no Exorcist would be the third category leaning more toward the sharper more realistic art. just to tell you the truth I'm not an expert on this matter so don't take this review so seriously.
As for the story i won't get into to much detail on this because only the second episode came out so far but i enjoyed it quite a bit. i was kind of irritated with having to watch the ending theme before the episode was actually over where he says he wants to become an exorcist even though he's the son of Satan. it sound pretty cliche in my opinion that he would decide to go against his real father who is evil. well that's it for me and i don't expect anyone to read my long boring explanation, hell i wouldn't even read it. thanks for your time.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
No offense to fans, I still want to give this show a chance. (Hey, I'm a Naruto fan. I have no right to tell anyone that their shonen manga choices make no sense!) But so far, the most I can see in this show is snark-value. So, without further adieu:

Ao no Exorcist Episode 2 Summary:

spoiler[Father Fujimoto and Rin are Running through a mall filled with demons and ghouls!

Father Fujimoto fights with the powers of ANIME!Catholicism! Holy Water BURNS!!! Don't forget to fortify your sewers with it! Oh, and random words from scripture can KILL EVIL DEMONS!!! I wonder what wafers can do? They didn't even use any crosses yet!

They get home, only to be attacked by Rin's "friend" from the neighborhood who is possessed by a demon. Again. Father Fujimoto purifies the kid. Again.

Rin has Important Questions:

Rin: "If I'm a demon, what about my brother?"

Father Fujimoto: "It's like that movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito, and you're Schwarzenegger."

Rin: "What?"

Father Fujimoto: "When you were in the womb, you hogged all the nutrition and stuff, so you were born strong and Yukio is a weak little girly-man"

Rin: "Does that mean I should go into politics?"

Father Fujimoto: "No, that will do to you what this sword will. Namely, turn you irreversibly into an evil demon. Now take the sword and run away from the only home you've ever known. Remember never to unsheathe the sword, but keep it with you at all times anyway!"

Rin has a temper tantrum..."I never really loved you, Daddy!"

Fujimoto slaps him.

Ahhh! That Gate to Gehenna is freaky!!! It looks like bad CGI with frog eyes.

Oh, no! Daddy Priest is being taken over by Satan! Let the battle between the biological dad and the adoptive dad begin!

Satan: "I AM YOUR FATHER!"

Rin: "Right, Father Fujimoto told me that. So?"

Satan: "I will kill Father Fujimoto! The bodies I take over don't last very long, like this guy's. And your Mom's!"

Rin: "So that explains why we never had a mom. So you're like a male Black Widow spider? And, uh, no, Fujimoto was my *real* Dad! I won't let you take him over!!!"

Father Fujimoto (manifesting in one half of his face): "Me, either!" (Stabs self)

Satan and Father Fujimoto seem to have an epic, internal battle. Like Ichigo vs. his Hollow Form, 'cept all you see is one guy wriggling and falling into the EVIL! CGI Gate-thing.

Rin: "NO!!!!" (Grabs sword)

Monks: "Don't do it! Father Fujimoto said you'd irreversibly turn into a demon if you do it!"

Rin: "I thought I already was...I mean, I don't think I am a...I mean, what are you guys doing to save Fujimoto, huh? Are there any other choices here? Plus, it's for the plot!!!"

Rin unsheathes sword, grows Vulcan-ears and a tale, glows blue.

Destroys CGI atrocity with sword, revealing Father Fujimoto bleeding from a lot of facial orifices. That can't be good.

Yukio comes home, takes in scene, runs to Fujimoto.

~Ending theme and/or Elevator Muzak~

Funeral Scene: Of course, it's raining. Rin calls a number on Fujimoto's cell. Freaky clownish guy shows up.

Freaky Clownish Guy: "Hi. I was a friend of your Dad's. Your adoptive one. I'll give you three choices: 1. Let us kill you; 2. Kill us; 3. Kill yourself."

Rin: "Can't I just join you and do manly, heroic things so that I can eventually beat up my biological father for killing my adoptive father (and maybe my mother? Not that I know who she was. Or care.) It'd be a classic Shonen Jump action show that way!"

Freaky Clownish Guy: *Laughs Hysterically* "Okay, sure."

Yukio thinking: "I came home to my Dad dead and my brother grew a tail. Rin probably killed Dad. I need to kill Rin. Wonder where I can find a gun in Japan?"]

Next Ep: "Brothers"
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote
biribirimizore wrote:
it sound pretty cliche in my opinion that he would decide to go against his real father who is evil. well that's it for me and i don't expect anyone to read my long boring explanation, hell i wouldn't even read it. thanks for your time.

While it does sound kind of cliche out of context, with what happens to make him do so it hardly comes off that way in practice thanks to the superb execution in my opinion, especially since they executed the Rin and Fujimoto father moments scenes so flawlessly in such little time, not to mention that fantastic choice of music during the tragic scene in question that sets him on his course. I was impressively surprised at how powerfully episode 2 came off merely two episodes into the show, something that favorably is pointing this in the direction of FMA to me in terms of it's potential rather than standard shounen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1