• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop on Board with Sony Reader

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
would anyone actually buy one of these things? that's a lot of money.
roxfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
People were buying Librié (not "Librarie") even though it was all in Japanese, didn't support custom content at first and cost almost 500$ (plus shipping). So yes, some people will buy. How many of them is another question.
roxfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
And the last link in the article should point to http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/ces/live-from-ces-the-sony-reader-146628.php
LordRobin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ooh. Sounds sexy. If it works on a Mac, I might be tempted. But being from Sony, I don't have high hopes.

------RM
roxfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Librié got hacked for Linux/OSX support pretty fast, so I don't think there will be problems getting it working on Macs. Though there can be issues with DRM, I guess.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
A pic of the Trigun manga? Well, they've got the idiot fanboy market secured...here's hoping we'll be getting manga translated by people who are actually interested in making it readable by English speakers...
sorvani

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The device is expected to cost between $300 and $400 and feature native support for PDF, TXT, RTF, MP3, JPG and BBeB (BroadBand eBook a format Sony created for its previous e-book reader, the Librie).

umm no, this unit will not natively support ANY format expect BBeB and mp3. neither does the Librie(i own one).

Sony's site clearly states the term "personal documents" which to me means the software package they are going to include with this will simply convert existing documents of various types TO the BBeB format. They already have the driver to do this. It's how they managed to actually keep people interested in the Librie.

The only thing i'm worried about is the details of the DRM. For the Japanese ebook store, you didn't actually OWN the ebook you bought. you only leased it. once the lease was up, you were unable to read that book on the device any more. I know they made changes over the last year, but i don't know how much, and obviously there is far less print media read here in the US as compared to in Japan. Or maybe i should say far different type of print media read. it will be interesting to see how it goes here.

one thing. i do NOT regret buying my librie 8 months ago. it's the best thing in the world for ebook reading. e-ink is the sh**
kameoosama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why no one pointed this out, but while it's probably a sure thing that Tokyopop has or will sign on, Trigun's a Dark Horse title (in the US, anyway) So does this mean they're on too, or is trigun done by Tokyopop in Europe or something? and does this mean that Viz and Random House are signing on too?
roxfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:36 am Reply with quote
sorvani wrote:
The only thing i'm worried about is the details of the DRM. For the Japanese ebook store, you didn't actually OWN the ebook you bought. you only leased it. once the lease was up, you were unable to read that book on the device any more. I know they made changes over the last year, but i don't know how much, and obviously there is far less print media read here in the US as compared to in Japan. Or maybe i should say far different type of print media read. it will be interesting to see how it goes here.

From Librie users groups:
* Faster screen than the Librie. Same size and resolution.
* Strong RSS support integrated into PC client software. Generates unprotected BBeB files from your choice of RSS feeds that you can then transfer to and read on your Sony Reader.
* Online store integrated into PC client software.
* Most major US publishers onboard, (10,000+ titles at launch). Books are "pay-to-own", no time bomb. Sony handles the payment for the publishers. You can view the books on up to 6 devices that you have registered with the Sony store. At launch however, you will not be able to transfer or lend those protected books you bought to your friends who also have a Sony Reader with their own Sony online store account.
* Sony will open up the specs of the BBeB format! They hope this will lead to development of more tools to generate content in BBeB format (both with and without DRM).
* It's still Linux based.
* No touch screen, no wireless (SD card slot is probably not SD IO capable). Bummer.
* Available for purchase around March/April.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
Ain't technology grand? And sometimes fairly ludicrous as well? I don't understand why anyone would pick this over an actual book. I mean it's not like an iPod, I'd imagine most people only read one book at a time, you wouldn't be shuffling back and forth through your books. Plus $300? Imagine you're using this for manga. Say you buy this and one manga. Assuming the cost of the e-book are roughly what they actually cost, you'd be paying $310. Or you could buy 31 actual copies of manga. This seems like a great idea. If we ever run out of paper.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would pick this over an actual book.

Well, does your book play MP3s? I didn't think so... How about pictures, can your book store my family picures? No?!? What good is your book then huh? Damn paper.

Ok, to be serious, it's a bit early in the game yet for me to be investing in one of those things.. but, you know.. The future is now! .. and all that stuff. I guess we should all get used to it, cause that is the type of thing we'll all be using shortly. We won't even know where they came from. You'll come home and someone will say "Where did you get that?", and you'll respond with, "I dunno, they handed them out at work or something." That will be that. The end of paper as we know it. So sad. So sad indeed...

Laughing
linlinchan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
deathbringer wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would pick this over an actual book.

Well, does your book play MP3s? I didn't think so... How about pictures, can your book store my family picures? No?!? What good is your book then huh? Damn paper.

Ok, to be serious, it's a bit early in the game yet for me to be investing in one of those things.. but, you know.. The future is now! .. and all that stuff. I guess we should all get used to it, cause that is the type of thing we'll all be using shortly. We won't even know where they came from. You'll come home and someone will say "Where did you get that?", and you'll respond with, "I dunno, they handed them out at work or something." That will be that. The end of paper as we know it. So sad. So sad indeed...

Laughing

I hope not. I'm one of those freaks, I guess, who, you know, likes the feel of paper in my hand and prefers to read words on a page rather than a screen.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would pick this over an actual book. I mean it's not like an iPod, I'd imagine most people only read one book at a time, you wouldn't be shuffling back and forth through your books.

You only read one book at a time? I'm working on several manga series right now and I grab the one I'm most interested in. If I can find it. I have manga strewn all over my house. An organized individual, I am not.

If a device like this could allow me to keep all my unread manga in one place, it would be a godsend.

------RM
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
sorvani wrote:
umm no, this unit will not natively support ANY format expect BBeB and mp3. neither does the Librie(i own one).

Shocked Really? I find that quite astonishing. They're planning on linking this thing to Sony Connect, yet the device won't support ATRAC?

Are you absolutely sure this device doesn't support some type of DRM music format?

------RM
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
You only read one book at a time? I'm working on several manga series right now and I grab the one I'm most interested in. If I can find it. I have manga strewn all over my house. An organized individual, I am not.

Do you mean you are working on several series at once, or several indivivual books? Because I've always been a fast reader, and I never put down a manga till I finish it. It really doesn't take me that long to read one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2