• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Entertainment Expired Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope Manga's license with Macross Plus expires so that Bandai Visual USA can finally give it a proper DVD release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
What was wrong with Manga's DVD release?

Drewpy83 wrote:
I pray the rest of Fist of the North Star gets picked up

That's not very likely. It has two major strikes against it. The series is 100+ episodes long, and 20+ years old. Many of the fans who might be interested in it probably wouldn't want to pay the $400+ that it would likely cost to purchase the entire series. And that doesn't include the 40+ episode sequel.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Macross Plus and Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro are the only dubs they've done, to my recollection, that I actually like. And even then, I wouldn't be averse to Lupin the 3rd getting redubbed with the Pioneer voice cast...

Their "work" on the Patlabor movies was unforgivable. I like to say that I only watch subs when I find the dub intolerable; that would be such a case. Ota cursing like a sailor? Come on. And the songs! They cut out all the freakin' songs!
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Cut out what songs? I look forward to the Patlabor re-release.

I know everyone will be hoping for a solid release to pave the way for more old school releases.

It's comforting to know that 'Gunbuster' and 'Honneamise' still have strong fan bases on here even though their considered quite old now.
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
AkiraKaneda wrote:

Amen to this! How many of us have been waiting forever for a good copy of Wings of Honneamise? Some of us have worn out our VHS copies which look better than the current DVD. Criterion, where are you when we need you?

I have the Brazil boxed set from Criterion and although the extras are amazing, the film itself is not even anamorphic.

-Franky
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Man, I got official word of Manga's loss of the license to Gunbuster from their parent company, Anchor Bay Entertainment some time ago. I wonder why they took so long to admit it? And the funny thing, Keith Burgess was still promising a release even after they lost it.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they'll lose a couple more licenses... like Dangaioh and Devilman (God, I hope!) so that these 2 classic (at least to me) titles can get a proper, uncut, bilingual release with decent video.

And I'll throw my 2 cents into the Gunbuster hat as well: I've only seen the first 2 episodes (U.S. Renditions release) on VHS, but I've really wanted to finish it for years now. So hopefully ADV or Media Blasters or someone (maybe Honneamise/BV USA) will finally get this released.

I wonder if anyone's going to re-release the Guyver OVAs now that Manga lost it? With the new Guyver TV series coming out, It might be profitable for another US company (maybe ADV?) to release the original series... I have the Manga Guyver DVDs, but I'd be more than happy to rebuy the series with better masters, a better dub, and no edits to the OP and ED themes.
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Drewpy83 wrote:
I pray the rest of Fist of the North Star gets picked up

That's not very likely. It has two major strikes against it. The series is 100+ episodes long, and 20+ years old. Many of the fans who might be interested in it probably wouldn't want to pay the $400+ that it would likely cost to purchase the entire series. And that doesn't include the 40+ episode sequel.

If they can get almost 200 episodes of Urusei Yatsura out the door then anything is possible.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Considering Bandai Visual USA have announced they are releaseing Patlabor Movies 1 and 2 and their label is going to be called "Honneamise" one can only Guess where Royal Space Force is going. They seem to be all about putting out quality releases, but that remains to be seen, I am hopeful.

What's with all this ADV love? They're ok, well their Chromartie High DVD was nice, but they need to stop doing the lame ass transitions (or blackout) to their own designed series titles it looks so crappy. I also hate the English credits, have it in Japanese or clean, whoops tangent.

Anyway, I'd like Animeigo or the Right Stuf to put out a nice bonus-filled remastered edition of Gunbuster. All the other series I could care less about.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
If they can get almost 200 episodes of Urusei Yatsura out the door then anything is possible.

Yeah, but "Urusei Yatsura" is a classic series based on a manga by one of the most beloved manga creators of all time. "Fist of the North Star" is a semi-popular Big Dumb Action series. I mean, hell, I *LOVE* "Fist" (it and "Akira" were the series that started my anime addiction a decade ago), and even I tired of the TV series after the first half dozen VHS tapes. A full series release of this seems HIGHLY unlikely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
AnimEigo are the most consistant company for releasing quality dvd releases. So if they pick up any of these titles up, i'll be happy.

ADV are also very good at releasing great quality dvds for older anime. Just look at what they did to 'Five Star Stories'. The video quality was stunning and i never would have guessed it came from the 80's.

Any of these two companies would be perfect.
poweranime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
so like, since the license has expired, does that mean we'll see fan subs pop up for download on fan sites now??? I mean, they're not licensed anymore... so... Smile
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
No because for all we know these titles could already be licensed by another company but have yet to announced what they've aquired.

Plus fansubs should not be allowed for an anime title that is or has been licensed and released in the US.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Now, if they would just lose there Dangaioh license, and someone would pick it up for a proper release, all will be good
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see that Manga Entertainment's rights to Gunbuster FINALLY expired. I hope someone picks it up and gives it a good DVD release.

I'm not really interested in the rest of the series, and I've never even heard of Red Hawk or Dark Myth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3