• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - RIGHT TURN ONLY IS BACK!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Wow awesome return of the RTO column with new writer. I agree with a lot of the point, being made on Death Note and Dragon Head since I'm familar with those title. I'm looking foward to Dragon Head the most though when it's actually releae. Hopefully the column will spread more interested in manga among fans. Glad to see RTO back again.

Last edited by darkhunter on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:09 am; edited 6 times in total
RubberSoul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
Niiice, I look foward to more.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Although the dense, mind-bending dialogue is Death Note's trademark, it's also the series' weak point, bogging itself down in details. Nothing disrupts the story like having to parse three paragraphs of "Well, if he thinks I'm thinking what I think he thinks I'm thinking..."

Hey, I enjoy that element of the series. It reminds me of Speed Racer. Laughing But the series seems close to jumping the shark once it went to "The College Years". No, I do not want to watch you and your arch-nemesis play tennis. I can buy another manga for that. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, did you see the Dragon Head movie yet?
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
*is overjoyed*

I've been waiting for this day for a long time, so I feel selfish to nitpick, but I do wish more titles could be reviewed.

Other than that...
*does the happy YAY RIGHT TURN ONLY IS BACK dance*
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
Good to see the return of RTO after a long hiatus. I'm glad you decided to go with the ratings rather than "Buy, borrow, ditch" like the old column. Speaking of the ratings, I found the reviews (the ones I've read that is) dead-on (glad to see someone is cutting through the hype around Death Note and not just giving it all A's.) It's also nice to see a column by someone who's fairly open to lesser known types of manga on ANN. In short, keep up the great work.
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
Yay, I missed RTO and I'm quite happy to see Carlos taking up the reigns. ^^ Great column and keep it going! I hadn't heard of Dragon Head before.. sounds pretty interesting. Also, it's good to hear about World-Manga that isn't pure crap, just noting from reviews, I was wondering if there was any.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
More manga exposure! Always a good thing.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Right Turn Only back, and congratulations to Carlo Santos for taking over the reigns. Now if ANN can bring back The Dub Track, that would be just as good.

So does this mean that Carlo won't be reviewing anime anymore?
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote
Cool! It's nice to have a manga reivew article like that! THUMBS UP!
nagashi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
I wonder, would ANN consider having a view area for the newest manga scanlations, rather than just commercial releases? It's great that ANN has manga reviews, but as they're only commercial right now it seems, they're about a year behind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote
nagashi wrote:
I wonder, would ANN consider having a view area for the newest manga scanlations, rather than just commercial releases? It's great that ANN has manga reviews, but as they're only commercial right now it seems, they're about a year behind.

Er, scanlations fall into a sticky legal area where we wouldn't feel comfortable promoting them like that, so no.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
So does this mean that Carlo won't be reviewing anime anymore?

Carlo will continue to review anime. But less frequently.

Quote:

I wouldn't think of it that way. For a few select readers, we may be behind the times, but for many, reviewing stuff that isn't available nor licensed means that we could be years early. For the most part we will focus on what is now available or soon to be available. However, there will be a special section of RTO!! that will focus on imported manga, somewhat like the OEL / worldmanga section.

Its a delicate balancing act, trying to review for the majority of our readers, and trying to write for our more active readers, two groups that have very different reading & viewing habits.

There's also a sticky issue reviewing fansubs & scanlations. A bad job by an amateur translator could result in a good manga or anime getting a bad review on ANN. It happenned once before, and since then we've been very careful to avoid potential repeats of that event.

And as Zac said, there's the legal/ethical issue. ANN isn't anti-fansub, but under no circumstance can we be seen as pro-scanlation/fansub (which unfortunately means that most people think we're anti...).

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
I would like to compliment your column. Very nice job! I liked the way you put both the pros and the cons in each review.

I have a little request Very Happy. Would you be so kind as to review the Lupin the 3rd: World's Most Wanted manga in one of your future columns? I really enjoyed that manga, but I have never been able to find a review of it in any of the sites that review manga! So, I'm hoping you would review it Very Happy.

Last edited by AutoGyro on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
I'm crushed. Crying or Very sad

I guess Dazzle isn't to everyone's tastes, but I love its bizarre sense of humor. If you don't like the first volume, however, you probably won't like the series (though starting at the last chapter of vol. 1 it's less episodic)--but I hope a good number of people give it a chance and reach different conclusions on the specifics Mr. Santos covers. I found it to be highly emotionally engaging.
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, I loved that beginning paragraph. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3