• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura-Con 2011

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
.. hmm sounds like you guys are really having a fun time and sounds pretty interesting over all. I have never been to con in my life do the fact of where i live. I live in such a rural area but with Louisville an 1 hour away from where I do live you would think they would hold one lol. Well I do hope you guys have fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
You don't seem to be too incredibly far from Ft. Mitchell, and there's a con there in November (SugoiCon). Of course, this also coming from someone who takes a 45 minute bus ride from home to get to Sakura-Con, so...
Badlands

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
ACEN is may 20-22 in chicago,il about 6 hrs away.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I had a pretty good time. So far as I could tell, it seemed that the American VAs were having a good time, too.

Also: Wendy Powell is crazy funny! But actually all the VAs seemed pretty cool to me.

Funimation's panel got nailed by technical problems (and their rep was using an Apple, heh.) But then, the next day, Bandai had their panel in the same room and also ran into technical difficulties, but whereas Funimation couldn't get anything going at all, Bandai got everything working but the voice track (the sound effects worked), and after much work by the tech crews, Bandai managed to get their final trailer to work properly (more or less).

Last year, there were *crazy* long lines at registration. Even pre-registered I had to wait for 2 hours in line. I had a friend standing in line for 5 hours and still didn't get in before he gave up. This year, I went Thursday and didn't have to stand in line at all. So far as I could tell, the whole Registration thing seemed to work more smoothly this year.

All in all, a good con, IMO.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I watched some of it on NicoNico, it looks like a very fun experience. Even from viewing I had a great time seeing the cosplays and comments by both the hosts and viewers. Makes me want to go to a con...
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Day 2's report link seems to be broken.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
Day 2's report link seems to be broken.

It's working fine for me, and the html is all correct. Not sure what the issue is.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Weird. Got it to load now. >_>
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I watched some of it on NicoNico, it looks like a very fun experience. Even from viewing I had a great time seeing the cosplays and comments by both the hosts and viewers. Makes me want to go to a con...

Yeah Zac, you need to do whatever you can and embed those niconico live streams here. Put 'em on the front page Smile

They are grade A entertainment...
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
What started out in the lobby of a Double Tree Inn in 1998 has clearly grown into a major phenomenon—a convention that is followed not just by the locals, but lovers of anime and Japanese culture across the nation.
My apologies to Mr. Santos, but I thought quoting that last line in the intro fit what I wanted to say.
I was there in 1998 when the first one took place (sadly the venue is no longer there due to the nearby mall expanding), it amazes me how far Sakura-Con (then known as Baka-Con!) has come in the last 13 years. Several changes in venue for a few more years before finally settling in to the dream site of the Washington State Convention and Trade Center. It has been quite the journey indeed.
Anyway, this year's con was excellent. Plenty of great guests, an awesome exhibitor's hall, and quite the kick-off for Bandai's newest: K-On! As for the last part of Mr. Santos's remark, it is spot on. I am amazed how so many people from different parts of the country and even from Japan have come to the con in recent years. (And not all of them this year just to see Berryz Kobo and Exist Trace!)
So enough of me gushing about it. I invite those who can to give this one a try when it comes back in early April 2012!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1