• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Freezing (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure I saw Holly in episode 11 also. Ugh, this show has been rushing its plot now.

I'm also somewhat disappointed that Roxanne isn't getting much screen time in the arc despite being one of the strongest Pandoras. Oh well, hopefully they wrap this up in a climatic way...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Indeed it is less gory and i'm not really sure why. Are they trying to censor things a bit more because people complained about it or something? But considering this episode was somewhat graphic i'm not sure if that's the case.
(shrugs)

Maybe they realized they shouldn't have naked boobies and dismemberment in the same scene. Not sexy. Instead we get more pool and shower scenes which I guess is an improvement?

Quote:
i noticed that apparently Luis is present in this final fight with Holy so maybe he'll..........you know......................die?............. Laughing

One could only hope, that might be a good rewritten element in the story that many fans could get behind. However, I'm sure its planned for sometime in the manga's future that he will do something to "redeem" himself. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me nauseous.

In the manga they had a scene with him and Holly in a chopper flying in to Alaska. At least they didn't just pop up like here in the anime.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
As someone not familiar with the manga, I did not find episode 11 to be rushed, and I think that fleshing certain things in the last two out - as some have claimed that the manga did - would have brought up one of the most irritating aspects of long-running shonen series: the propensity to insert detailed backstories for characters I don't care about into the middle of fights, often for characters who are about to die or otherwise get pushed to the fringe. If Charles' backstory is important to the long-term plot then fine, but what we saw of her story in episode 10 was enough to establish her motivations for that fight.

I do agree that this series has been distinctly less graphic than the first one, though I'm hard-pressed to identify why. And yes, that was Louis and Holly that we saw towards the end of the episode. Presumably they came in as part of the investigation team:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Presumably they came in as part of the investigation team:

yes, Holly is right behind Su-Na Lee when Gengo comes in andspoiler[ tells Spencer he and the girls behind him are the inspection team]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Indeed it is less gory and i'm not really sure why. Are they trying to censor things a bit more because people complained about it or something? But considering this episode was somewhat graphic i'm not sure if that's the case.
(shrugs)

Maybe they realized they shouldn't have naked boobies and dismemberment in the same scene. Not sexy. Instead we get more pool and shower scenes which I guess is an improvement?

Heh you'd be surprised how many sick folks are into guro Shocked.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I do agree that this series has been distinctly less graphic than the first one, though I'm hard-pressed to identify why.
I think there was more gore in the first show. Satellizer got her throat cut at one point, Godspeed lost both arms and Ganessa also lost one. And that's what I can remember off the top of my head. But I think, maybe wrong, that overall except for the "Pandora Queen" episode there was some brutal fighting almost every episode. I'm not sure the brutality and number of fights have been as high this second season.

Quote:
I think that fleshing certain things in the last two out - as some have claimed that the manga did - would have brought up one of the most irritating aspects of long-running shonen series: the propensity to insert detailed backstories for characters I don't care about into the middle of fights, often for characters who are about to die or otherwise get pushed to the fringe.
You bring up a good point. This isn't the manga and I have to be careful about comparisons. Because I have read the manga I'm guilty of thinking ahead of some things that will have to do with Charles. But Charles' backstory and personality may not be important here nor in a future sequel as they have already changed some things and there's no guarantee that there will even be a third season.

I still feel that the action is not quite as exciting as the manga, because it has been shortened. But that's just me.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Heh you'd be surprised how many sick folks are into guro Shocked.
Yeaaa, something I'd rather not know exact numbers for.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Final episode, its as close to the source material as this season has been (which is off and on at the same time)
It feels off, I am hoping for a Freezing First OVA to give context to WHY the audience should care that the Spirit of Chiffon visited Ticy.

For the general anime viewer, this couldn't be recommended, only those that consider themselves fan of the work might find it a decent sit, and even then you would be better off going through the original material.

spoiler[Though the commercial break image of Ticy and Chiffon in the black and white angel costumes becomes a funny aneurism moment after recalling Madoka Rebellion.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
@ the very ending scene of the finale of Vibration:

Is that all?

On another note, spoiler[Chiffon] will be missed I suppose...but I will not be missing this show at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
This second season was honestly kind of a mess, from the subpar animation, to the handling of certain arcs (you all know what I'm referring to), to the execution of the endgame. From a certain perspective, it's good to relegate Satellizer and Kazuya to near-secondary/supporting character status towards the end so that we might focus on the people who are important now, but I felt like the ending was very anticlimactic and almost whimsical. spoiler[Amelia, after her transformation, as powerful as she was (and equally lame-looking), didn't seem like much of a threat against the seemingly inexhaustible and overpowered Chiffon.]

spoiler[I am also puzzled on why they chose to allow Amelia and Dr. Ohara to survive. I hold no real disdain for the former, but it really pushes my suspension of disbelief that she could have survived that implosion and lived to be human afterwards, especially after completing a full Nova transformation--something that not even traditional Pandora have returned from completely. She was supposed to be the final tragic casualty of Chevalier's reckless, inhumane ambitions after Gina, and the death of Ohara would have served as ample punctuation to those ambitions. Once again, the show is too forgiving and "safe".]

Moreover, it severely bothers me that they chose to haphazardly wrap things up during a credit sequence. Such is almost never a good idea, and showcases fully the budget and time constraints that plagued the series (if the subdued animation wasn't enough).

Overall, the series' new characters weren't interesting and well-rounded enough to carry its themes. Though a bit less disarming this time around, Satellizer herself is still the strongest character, even without her being its primary focus outside of the Luis arc. I'll give it credit, though, for fleshing out Elizabeth and making her a genuinely admirable character (spoiler[even though, realistically, she never should have recovered completely from the electroshock torture]). Props as well for last minute or so, which sets things up quite nicely for a third season.

Overall, being as generous as I am, I gave it a 6; it was certainly weaker than the first season, which I gave a 7, and would have awarded an 8 had its final act not been so rushed.

Last edited by Gatherum on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was underwhelmed by this season. Gatherum summed up my thoughts nicely. Gave this a Good
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Apologies for bringing up the old thread, but seeing has how Funi had the streaming rights for Vibration, what's the chance they'll license it for a domestic release?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
Depends on how the first season sold, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't get released. Nudity + lots of intense graphic violence + sexy girls usually = sells relatively well in the States.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
I had thought so. Thanks for the reply.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10