• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Freezing (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
You get more of the Satella/Kazuya relationship in the arc after this. This one is mainly focused on other characters. The series becomes a bit better balanced at trying to use the whole cast. besides Kazuya and Satellizer had an arc right before this one that is very focused on them. Unfortunately they skipped it.

spoiler[not "unfortunately skipped", purposefully skipped. It is a very soap opera-esque arc that, while contextually important to the run of the series, would not have made for a strong anime piece.]

I haven't gotten as far as you all, but I would have hoped for some resolution or advancement in their relationship. Did that 'skipped arc' do that?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I haven't gotten as far as you all, but I would have hoped for some resolution or advancement in their relationship. Did that 'skipped arc' do that?

Episode 5, speak of the damned devil.

spoiler[Frankly, this is contextual brilliance, considering what is known from the manga this will make the anime arc have much more meaning than how it flowed in the manga.
It will resolve Satellizer's emotional baggage AND it brings a reason for why the Bridget family will now come to the aid of the Mably's against the Chevalier conspiracy.]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
In the manga? Not much really. However, considering that they've changed several things so far in the anime it may end up having more weight. The manga is not always the best at explaining things and everyone's motivations, so the anime does have an opportunity to improve on the manga which I hope it does.

FenixFiesta wrote:
spoiler[...it brings a reason for why the Bridget family will now come to the aid of the Mably's against the Chevalier conspiracy.]
I don't know I thought it was clear in the manga that it was just [Warning Manga spoilers]spoiler[politics as usual with el Bridget and Gengo Aoi giving some of the Chevalier enough rope to hang themselves while maneuvering themselves into a stronger position of influence]. However, the way they are doing it now and what you are suggesting maybe cleaner than how it was presented in the manga.

Still this episode brings up some questions like why spoiler[bother torturing Elizabeth and financially ruining her father]? I mean how do you plan to keep discipline in an army if you spoiler[torture your soldiers]? If you are worried about spoiler[the information getting out that you are involved in human experiments and that the whole thing is actually a failure wouldn't you want to get rid of the people that know this]? If they don't mind offing some girls in experiments why don't they just have spoiler[Elizabeth die in a training exercise and her father have an accident]? The whole thing felt like "ho, ho. I'm doing this cause I'm showing my evil side." I don't know it just doesn't make sense why that was done except maybe the creators felt the need to do something cruel without killing the character.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not too happy to see Satelli's creepy brother. I'd forgotten about him, actually (it's been a while since I've seen Freezing). Sure hope he gets the business end of Satelli's Volt weapon up his ass. Soon.

Also can't wait until the evil Chevalier a-holes get their comeuppance, too.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
right, so I knew spoiler[Eli's punishment] was coming since I spoiled myself while browsing TVtropes back when season 1 was airing, but it didn't make it any easier to watch. that was just awful, and then the scumbag makes an appearance for a double gut punch
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:

A small advancement. spoiler[Its more about Satellizer resolving her problems with her siblings. Its not a great arc as there are some things that should have been written better within, but it was an important one for Satellizer's character.]

One-Eye wrote:

Still this episode brings up some questions like why spoiler[bother torturing Elizabeth and financially ruining her father]? I mean how do you plan to keep discipline in an army if you spoiler[torture your soldiers]? If you are worried about spoiler[the information getting out that you are involved in human experiments and that the whole thing is actually a failure wouldn't you want to get rid of the people that know this]? If they don't mind offing some girls in experiments why don't they just have spoiler[Elizabeth die in a training exercise and her father have an accident]? The whole thing felt like "ho, ho. I'm doing this cause I'm showing my evil side." I don't know it just doesn't make sense why that was done except maybe the creators felt the need to do something cruel without killing the character.

Because of the nonsensical re-writing the show is currently going through. Manga Spoilers: spoiler[In the manga Elizabeth already got the information out to her father who had already spread it around his company's higher ups and gone to at least one news outlet to leak the info. It was better to destroy the Mably name and credibility. ]

Not sure why they decided to throw the arc with Satellizer's brother in the middle of this because its really going to only take away for from the E-Pandora plot. Could turn out better than I think, but right now its feels like nonsensical bad writing/directing.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Because of the nonsensical re-writing the show is currently going through. Manga Spoilers: spoiler[In the manga Elizabeth already got the information out to her father who had already spread it around his company's higher ups and gone to at least one news outlet to leak the info. It was better to destroy the Mably name and credibility. ]
Oh, no you give the manga way too much credit. The whole spoiler[torturing of Elizabeth] was going on there too, for again the evil, not because there was an actual reason or benefit for it. It was just as poor there as it is in the anime. Of course the manga often does this so that it can [Manga Spoilers!] spoiler[do a 180 with some characters and have flashbacks showing that they weren't so bad or they did things out of misplaced "love" or out of their desire "to save humanity."] Its an attempt by the writer to create "complex" characters, but its often botched. I actually think that the anime has been much smoother in telling the story--it still has things in it from the manga that irritate me--than what sometimes feels like the patchy and rushed manga.

Quote:
Not sure why they decided to throw the arc with Satellizer's brother in the middle of this because its really going to only take away for from the E-Pandora plot. Could turn out better than I think, but right now its feels like nonsensical bad writing/directing.
I think if they had started with the brother arc and did it like it was in the manga it would turn some viewers off at the beginning that were tuning in for the fan service. Putting it in the middle of the E-Pandora story could make it awkward if they don't handle the transitions between both arcs well and also make the brother arc relate to the E-Pandora more directly. I think they can make it work since both arcs are kind of dark and they have already given Satellizer a reason to go to Bali. So, I think its doable and like I said I think somethings are a little better than the manga, but whether they will succeed remains to be seen.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Eivion wrote:
Oh, no you give the manga way too much credit. The whole spoiler[torturing of Elizabeth] was going on there too, for again the evil, not because there was an actual reason or benefit for it. It was just as poor there as it is in the anime. Of course the manga often does this so that it can [Manga Spoilers!] spoiler[do a 180 with some characters and have flashbacks showing that they weren't so bad or they did things out of misplaced "love" or out of their desire "to save humanity."] Its an attempt by the writer to create "complex" characters, but its often botched. I actually think that the anime has been much smoother in telling the story--it still has things in it from the manga that irritate me--than what sometimes feels like the patchy and rushed manga.

I wasn't defending spoiler[the torturing Elizabeth, just explaining the why destroy the Mably family name instead of committing mysterious murders/deaths. ]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok i have a BIG problem with how the anime handled this arc. They basically just rushed through 9 chapters in ONE episode! I knew that they were going to condense and tone things down a bit but this is a bit much........

I'm kind of bummed that they skipped out on Holy's involvement in all this because the anime has pretty much made her appearance almost completely random and she had a MUCH bigger part to play in the original source material.
I'll save my thoughts on Luis for later......trust me you should be hating him much more than you do now folks.......
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode six, spoiler[I kinda dig the distorted audio especially if we take that it is coming from Satellizer's perspective.
Certainly a good chunk of content is edited out for run time... and frankly because the source arc is HBO type of "darkness of humanity" content.
Contextually It works out better to WHY Satellizer is submitting to her wicked brother's whims.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I must say, Luis is quite someone I don't ever want to be friends with...

What a disturbing episode though and cliffhanger. Watch out, Aoi!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Episode six, spoiler[I kinda dig the distorted audio especially if we take that it is coming from Satellizer's perspective.
Certainly a good chunk of content is edited out for run time... and frankly because the source arc is HBO type of "darkness of humanity" content.
Contextually It works out better to WHY Satellizer is submitting to her wicked brother's whims.]

That's a good point actually. I think the manga was forcing the whole spoiler["childhood trauma"] card to much but at least the anime gave another reason for her to even listen to him. I honestly feel like this arc should have been at the very least 3 episodes. It would have allowed room for thespoiler[ tension between Holy and Sateillzer to build] like it originally did instead of forcing it in such nonsensical way like they ended up doing. I don't mind the toning down on the dark stuff......in fact i very much approve of that. But by the looks of things they'll probably wrap up the arc next episode so any kind of impact this arc might have had will probably be short lived sadly Sad

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I only watch this for the boobs and pretty girls. The plot and about everything else that's really worth it reprises once every 25, and that's being optimistic.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
well that was extremely unpleasant. rather glad this has been condensed
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Agreed with getchman. This is not the kind of fare that you want dragged out and elaborated on too much. Based on the anime content alone (I have not read the manga), I thought they did an excellent job of handling this, as it succinctly gets across how much of an utter bastard Louis is and convincingly shows how Satellizer could fall back into his clutches. Some great use of visual and audio effects, too, at least until the animation deteriorated towards the end.

Haven't seen enough of Holly to appreciate how she fits into this; presumably that will become clearer next episode. This season has really surprised me so far with how much of an upgrade it's shown in its writing, so at this point I am willing to trust that the production team will continue to get it right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10