• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Robotics;Notes (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote

Robotics;Notes (TV)
Plot Summary:
ANN wrote:
In 2019, Kaito Yashio is a member of his school's robotics club and a fan of fighting games. His classmate Akiho is a world renowned programmer of fighting games. Together they decide to create an actual giant robot and seek help from their friends.

Not entirely sure what to expect from the first episode, I do think we got an entertaining first episode, a lot of entertaining things set in the not too distant future. Of note we had blending of the popular touch handheld games, with the influence hat a popular franchise can have over culture. No one yet has been sucked into a game yet, so it might not fall into a pitfall that seems to being built at the moment.

My personal favorite part about this series is the female lead, Akiho, she seems so hotblooded that it feels refreshing for some weird reason, especially since how the male acts. She kind of reminds me of the glasses girl from Ben-to, or the chemistry between Chitanda and and Oreki.

Feels like it might be a tournement anime based around a different anime. I also really enjoy the tech, like how he changed her looks on his device. While you can check the encyclopedia page if you are useing the US version the picture of this series there works well with the Funimation advertisment at the side, there is a slight difference.
Oh and my favorite seiyu is voicing a loli, so there is that.

This might just be becaus of the other anime on this day, but I am half expecting a dark turn.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
this could be hit or miss still needs more episodes to go either way.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
I'll just say that I was not very impressed with the pilot episode. Not much happened although I did like that spoiler[Chaos;Head reference].

But hey who knows, I remember Steins;Gate starting off kinda slow but ultimately became a scientific masterpiece in my book. Maybe, it'll head into that direction soon. You can't always judge a book by its cover, right?

That's what I'm hoping for this series and what's to come soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
Just going to say this now. Don't go in to the show expecting it to be another S;G. You're not going to enjoy it if you do. It's a different type of show, it's rooted in realistic science, it takes place over the course of half a year, there's more downtime and slice of life. It's just something I've noticed and it might be why people are getting turned off by the first ep.

Anyway I loved the first ep, it was scene by scene a copy of the VN even down to copying scenes that were CGs in the game perfectly. Also Airi's spoiler[Whose eyes are those eyes?] scene was word for word how it was in the VN.

Pacing wise it was great, we got about half of chp 1 with ep 2 being spoiler[the Robo one tournament and building the hobby robot. Plus Subaru joining the robotics club]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
I could do without another "indifferent guy being led around by an enthusiastic girl" premise mixed in with the good ole "oh noes, our club faces a challenge!" with a dollop of "we needz to convince a person who is absolutely dead set against joining our club to join our club!" stuff.

Having pissed and moaned about all that, however, I basically liked the eppie despite the odor of over-used tropes stinking up the room.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
I am not sure why some posters are hesitant about this series, it is superb, a total win from what i see, and in just about every department, Art, animation, colour scheme, character design, plot and story, and a lot of fun on top of all of that. This is entertainment, and certainly of high quality and deserves a fair viewing and not cynicism and diffidence. Lets relax and enjoy it. All anime is build on past anime, and certainly yes there are themes that are popular and continue thru the years but so is any literature and art form. So lets enjoy the show.

It draws on familiar themes yet is very modern in its feel and approach, i like the setting of course for i am very fond of school based series, and the characters are fresh and fun as well. I expect great things from this series and wish it were next week already.

The music is good, the in story fun with the cat girls is great and i just like it all around. Give it a try if you haven't, and if you have doubts, hang in there and I am sure you will change your mind.

Good work studio and Director! well done.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I could do without another "indifferent guy being led around by an enthusiastic girl" premise mixed in with the good ole "oh noes, our club faces a challenge!" with a dollop of "we needz to convince a person who is absolutely dead set against joining our club to join our club!" stuff.

Having pissed and moaned about all that, however, I basically liked the eppie despite the odor of over-used tropes stinking up the room.

actually one of the episodes high notes was the dead set against characters reaction+ how they animated her attempt at the time.

my reticence is not that the episode was poor in any way just worried this could go off on a tangent like many previous series have spoiling exactly what makes it good so far.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
I am not sure why some posters are hesitant about this series, it is superb, a total win from what i see, and in just about every department, Art, animation, colour scheme, character design, plot and story, and a lot of fun on top of all of that. This is entertainment, and certainly of high quality and deserves a fair viewing and not cynicism and diffidence. Lets relax and enjoy it. All anime is build on past anime, and certainly yes there are themes that are popular and continue thru the years but so is any literature and art form. So lets enjoy the show.

You know what I don't like about this attitude? It seems that you feel someone who feels differently about the show must be "wrong" somehow. I think it's awesome that the show floats your boat. I'm certainly not going to tell you you should feel differently. But lay off the lectures on how everybody else "should" react to this show, thank you very much. If there is something that rubs me the wrong way - like the use of WAAAAAAAY over-used tropes, then I'm going to express that because it is a fair comment. So just relax and enjoy it, as you would say.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Those two (Kai & Aki) in the robotics club sure were interesting characters.
Kai has some potential. Seems like he's not just an ordinary guy.
So it's all about Gunvarrel, the robot that's insanely popular.
Keeping the club, finishing the robot and winning the tournament.
Screams easy.... doesn't it? LOL
Arkov

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it. Not quite getting the same vibe that I got from Steins;Gate, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I'm not sure at this point whether I'm fond of Aki or she annoys me. Maybe a bit of both. And Kai, for me, manages to pull off 'not caring' without being too bland. Honorable mention to the PE teacher for making me laugh.

I'm pretty interested to see where this goes story wise. There were some obvious links to Steins;Gate (the divergence meter in the OP being the most obvious). I'm also wondering if Aki is related to someone from S;G, and I know from reading comments on Youtube that (spoilers from the VN, I guess, even though I haven't read the VN) spoiler[Nae will be making an appearence.] I'm also wondering if Kai saying spoiler["It seems like time hasn't touched this place"] is an indirect reference.

I've also read comments saying that there will be stuff from Chaos;Head making an appearence, which I couldn't watch past the giant pink excavator (sp?) scene, so I guess I'll have to read up on that.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The first thing I think of from the title are Robotix, those old Erector sets which got turned into a miniseries that was basically a Transformers rip off.

While this appears to have some generic elements, it doesn't appear to be THAT generic.
kaydub

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Hmm, first thing I thought of after the first episode was Haruhi Suzumiya with robots instead of the supernatural. I think it's because the two main characters seem a lot like Haruhi and Kyon in their personalities, although Kai seems to be truly indifferent unlike Kyon. In fact, his personality might even be closer to Yuki's...

Seems like there is going to be a bit more to the story than we might be led to expect at first, judging from some of the hints during the episode. Hard to say how good I expect it to be, but it's certainly interesting and I'll keep watching.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Aki looks like a normal-sized Taneshima Popura. Some of her facial expressions were alike, too..

It's certainly well animated and acted so far. I'll stick around to see how the story unfolds.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah,although these kinds of shows are really not my thing I liked it enough to keep watching it.The animation and art are nice when you consider what genre this is.The characters are pretty much cliched,but I do like them and they come off as very natural too.Hopefully the show will focus a lot on mechanics of robot since I am mecha fan.
And yes people that have played visual novel do say this will take a dark turn although we will have to wait like more then half of this anime to pass.
dan7el

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
The best part of this show, so far, is the Android Tablet usage. They have leg holsters, and it's obviously Jellybean they're using. Good to see the iPad is out of style, finally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16