• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pupa (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Pupa

Genres: fantasy, horror, psychological
Plot summary: The "life-and-death sibling" story follows Utsutsu and Yume Hasegawa, a boy and his little sister who find themselves all alone. One day, Yume sees a mysterious red butterfly and her body undergoes a strange metamorphosis—into a creature that eats humans. Utsutsu struggles to find a way to restore his sister.

Wow, I just watched the preview of this and it was weird! I'm ready to see how this will go though. Apparently, the "ultimate life-and-death sibling".

Oh my.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Would love for this to get an official air date.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Weird...only 4 minutes. Part of it was censored too so I guess I'll wait for BDs. It's what I expected though with the spoiler[monster transformation near the end there.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
This initially looked like it had a lot of potential, but I'm really disappointed that it is only going to be 5 minute episodes.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
That being said, the first episode, although way too short and way too censored was still very intriguing. I'll continue watching to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
So if Foxhound4185 made an anime it'd be like this. That was pretty cool. I'm going to wait for BDs though for uncensored and tanking purposes. I also feel that, unlike most shorts (especially horror ones), this one actually suffers from not being at least 10-15 minutes. The spoiler["Go home before you see red butterflies" and then "BOOM! Red butterflies"] made me laugh whereas I figure if the ep were a bit longer it would've been spaced better.

Also, dude, the clover hair clip looks really silly on you. I know it's probably a gift from a loved one though, so that's cool.

I'm gonna catch up on Franken Fran before the BDs of this came out. It kind of put me in the mood for that.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote

Another anime I thought it was full length.
I was wrong, as usual...
The animation was interesting, different.
It was unusual, but good.
The mystery of the story was intriguing.
Metamorphosis was sudden and gruesome.
Creepy, but shame it isn't a regular length anime.
I could use a good horror right about now.
Indecisive about this one.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I definitely found the episode very Kafkaesque with spoiler[Yume's transformation into the insect-like monster.] Its got my attention and I'm curious how the show will develop from hereon with it being 3-5 minutes. I can't find much to talk about besides my enjoyment of the ED song. The animation is alright and I'm not quite liking the colors used for the art.
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
What a waste of potential....

This is a great manga. Skip the anime, read the manga.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

Is it a waste of potential because of the length or censorship? If it is the length, well you can't blame it on them since there really isn't much source materiel.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Nayu wrote:

Is it a waste of potential because of the length or censorship? If it is the length, well you can't blame it on them since there really isn't much source materiel.

Mainly the fact that the show is a shadow of what is presented in the beginning of the manga. There's so much they cut out to fit into four minutes it loses everything that sets up the situation.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to this, but it didn't quite live up to it's potential. It was alright I guess, but at the moment I'm just pretty disappointed that it's a short.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
On one aspect I am a little disappointed it is so short, on another I am kind of happy that I will not having my mind f!@#ed by a full lengthed show. I mean that I am already aware of these sort of things, I was not even surprised by the existence of a certain music video I found out about through YouTubers react, doesn't mean I die slightly every time I encounter something like it.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
On one aspect I am a little disappointed it is so short, on another I am kind of happy that I will not having my mind f!@#ed by a full lengthed show.

Oh yeah, that's definitely true. And the fact that it's a short makes it a lot easier to fit into everyone's no doubt already very filled viewing schedule.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
Well, this is basically pointless. I guess I shouldn't exactly be surprised given its four minute (probably 2.5 minutes minus OP and ED) run time but there is just...nothing to it. There's no real atmosphere or characterization. And episode 2 is basically just them straight up telling you their back-story. Because lord knows they don't have time to show us. I think too they would have been smart to drop the witch looking (but apparently a scientist) lady. Not only is her design silly, I'd much rather just watch an effective portrayal of the sister's predicament. Trying to actually explain the reasons behind it is a waste of precious, precious time. Might as well keep watching though. I mean, its four minutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2