• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Hunting - NO Recommendation threads allowed! [READ THE 1st POST]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Is it alright to ask for a live action recommendation?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
As long as it's related to anime (like an adaptation or something).
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
Souljacker wrote:
Any anime that contains cyberpunk, dystopia, angst, thriller, dark, tragedy?. Only thriller is in your genre list, and i've seen all the recommendations ;p

Texhnolyze

Here's all the reason you need.

louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Any Horror/thriller story with a good mystery and an enjoyable main cast (or just a good protagonist). Also a good dub if that isn't too much to ask for.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Any Horror/thriller story with a good mystery and an enjoyable main cast (or just a good protagonist). Also a good dub if that isn't too much to ask for.

Have you watched Monster?
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Monster, Higurashi, Another, Future Diary, Shiki, and Death Note.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
What about the Garden of Sinners movies?
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Aren't they sub only?
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Aren't they sub only?

Oh right you were asking for a dub....Urggghhh....not sure then. Sorry. ><
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Ghost Hunt is probably what you're looking for. A good dub, with a story all about investigating the paranormal that dips into horror. The main cast are very easy to get attached to and the mysteries are interesting.

Hell Girl, Durarara! and Ga-Rei: Zero could also fit.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Ghost Hunt is probably what you're looking for. A good dub, with a story all about investigating the paranormal that dips into horror. The main cast are very easy to get attached to and the mysteries are interesting.

Hell Girl, Durarara! and Ga-Rei: Zero could also fit.

Alright! Thanks. I've been meaning to get into Ghost Hunt and Durarara!!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
@louis6578

You should also try Ghost Hound (not the same as Ghost Hunt). It has a serious creepy factor including some designs that are creepy cute. Be careful which version you pick up as the initial dvd release was sub only. It was subsequently re released in Bluray with a dub.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for a good procedural, crime-y, 'who-done-it' sort of show (or movie); something with good mysteries to solve from episode to episode, something that builds on one big mystery to solve at the end, or just something with self-contained episodes (or two or three episodes) that each have their own story to work through. Similar shows to work off of would be Un Go, Ghost Hunt, Black Lagoon, XXXHOLiC, Eden of the East, Mushi-Shi, Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C., Kino's Journey, etc.

Also, I'm interested in series with good twist endings that you don't see coming, but in hindsight, the clues are all there.

Any genre will do, though I tend to dislike mecha and/or full-on martial arts/fighting themes.

You can look through my list of what I've seen and what I'm watching to get a figure for what I've already checked out. I also have a ton of stuff in queue waiting to be viewed, so if you happen to recommend anything in that pile, I'll move it to the top of the list. Thanks in advance!
GDFan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
@Sohma_Curse:

You need to make your lists public before anyone else could use them to recommend titles.

The post above by Tris8 lists some series you may be interested in.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
I'm looking for a good procedural, crime-y, 'who-done-it' sort of show (or movie); something with good mysteries to solve from episode to episode, something that builds on one big mystery to solve at the end, or just something with self-contained episodes (or two or three episodes) that each have their own story to work through. Similar shows to work off of would be Un Go, Ghost Hunt, Black Lagoon, XXXHOLiC, Eden of the East, Mushi-Shi, Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C., Kino's Journey, etc.
I highly recommend Gosick. It is about a Japanese boy who is studying abroad in the fictional European country of Saubure. There he meets a girl (Victorique) whose brother is a detective, but her incredible deduction skills have her brother often coming to Victorique for insight. It starts off focusing on a different mystery every episode or two, but slowly an over-arching case forms. It's an excellent show that perfectly fits what you are looking for.

Detective Conan also fits, but you might not want to start something that long. In that case, I recommend the movies. They can be watched with no prior knowledge of the show and have very good 'who-done-it' cases.

Perfect Blue and They Were 11 are also good mystery movies. The former is a Satoshi Kon that will really get in your head. Just a warning, it gets very emotionally intense spoiler[when the main character, during filming, loses the distinction between reality and her character during a rape scene]. The latter is a great spin on the 'who-done-it' genre, as there isn't a crime. The most prestigious space academy (or space navy academy, can't remember) has very intense tests an applicant must pass to get accepted. The final test is to survive on a broken down, abandoned ship for a period of time with 9 other candidates who all pass or fail together. Everything starts off smoothly but almost immediately they notice there is 11 of them, not 10. Suspicion and paranoia ensues as they try to survive and determine who is the impostor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 17