• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tenchi Muyo

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCgamerboy2002

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I just have a simple question about the Tenchi Series to anyone that have seen Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe, & Tenchi in tokyo: How come Tenchi meets the girls differently in each series?
If you have no idea what I mean, let me know.
huh?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
they are all seperate tellings of the same basic story. the original was really popular so in order to make more money they had alternate tellings of the tenchi story.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Washu and Ryoko swapped places between OVA and TV.

In the ova, Ryoko was orginally in a cave for the last 500 years. Where Washu came in from outer space.

In the TV, Washu was orginally in a cave for the last 500 years. Where Ryoko came in from outer space.
Jeff78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd always thought it was more a parallel universe thing, since that concept came up repeatedly in the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
Because if Tenchi met the girls the same exact way for every series, it would be boring and there would be no point in watching it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
don'tlookbehindyou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
Think they needed to keep coming up with different places and basic plots for the show. EX. a demon in a cave doesn't mesh to well with outerspace.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
don'tlookbehindyou wrote:
a demon in a cave doesn't mesh to well with outerspace.

It does when spoiler[it turns out she's not really a demon, but rather a half-cloned science project imprisoned in the cave after coming to Earth.] Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I think I read somewhere that the two sequels were actually based on fanfics and fan demand so to kind please the fans they took aspects of various fanfics and recreated the story.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
I think I read somewhere that the two sequels were actually based on fanfics and fan demand so to kind please the fans they took aspects of various fanfics and recreated the story.
The Magical Girl Pretty Sammy side of things was nothing more than a joke drawing that of the the artist publish. However the idea was populare enough that they dicided ot make anime of that.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
Actually, it's neither. Pretty Sammy began as a side-episode of the first Tenchi Muyo! TV series, as part of a story arc where the cast traveled through each other's fantasy worlds (which, conveniently, ended up being parodies of various genre conventions). Sasami's fantasy world ended up being a magical girl parody, and that episode proved popular enough to warrant pursuing the idea as its own series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote
huh? wrote:
they are all seperate tellings of the same basic story. the original was really popular so in order to make more money they had alternate tellings of the tenchi story.
More correctly the two TV series were both seperate stories using the same characters but completely in different ways. The OVA was just that, the original but only seen on a VCR at that time. It became so popular that AIC with Pioneer LDC created the TV- Universe for...um, TV using a completely different crew of staff. TiT was yet another attempt to fleece the fans for more cash with little effort. Same for the Pretty Sammy spin-offs which was basically trying to get their share of the popular doujinshi cash flow that the "Mihoshi Special" sparked.
AnimeGreen0813

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I think it has to do with keeping everyone's interest and they want to do something different. That doesn't mean it always works or is as good. The OAVs are the best because of Tenchi and Ryoko's state of affairs, the gems, the sword, his place in royalty, how she wants him so bad and the other girls do too, etc. The Universe series is somewhat watered down, Ryoko isn't as powerful, Washu is in the cave, but Kiyone looks real good (woof). The Tokyo series completely ignores the first two installments and is completely original, and is also a complete mess. Its just a good waste of Tenchi and his girls. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1