• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Article on Anime Bootlegs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime_man01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote
beast wrote:
What about HK Bootlegs of series that haven't and won't ever see an American release and can't be downloaded from the Internet?

I'm perfectly ok with buying bootlegs of those.

as to buying bootlegs, id say no...

d/l the fansub and rip it yourself..

i discussed a similar issue with someone here as there was a series that stopped at ep 1 and was never going to be done thus it was fair game...
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
Has someone checked this store to see if it carries any funi or adv merchandise? If so, maybe someone should let those guys know, so they can sig their lawyers on this guys store. Would selling bootlegs of a product that is licensed by an american company, and not paying them royalties be theft?
anime_man01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
thats a thing im sure he wouldnt do as then they could definately shut him down...
LilyChan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
It's people like him on why I stopped buying anime online and at conventions. Manga applies to the same thing.

The only place I'll ever buy my anime, merchandise, and manga online is http://www.animenation.com.

But if it's not released in the U.S. yet, I'll most likely download it and THEN buy it when it's legit. I made the mistake of getting quite a few bootlegs simply because the price was tempting and I didn't even realize they were bootlegs until I read it on a website.

I'm currently buying Gravitation because those were one of the bootlegs that I had recieved. My next targets are Fruits Basket, and Weiss Kreuz. Once Prince of Tennis gets license (heaven forbid), I'll invest in that as well.

The only things I'm buying at conventions are plushies (at the official booths) and doujinshi. D:
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Having been to Animeniacs, it really bothers me that he sells bootlegs with English dubs on them. Like the entire boxset of Last Exile, dubbed, *obviously* ripped from the American legal DVDs. Some of the DVDs my friends have bought are clearly burned CDs too, not even trying to cover up the fact they're bootlegged. And we called in to Squaresoft that he was selling the Advent Children DVD for $16. Smile He does sell licensed DVDs, but only very few and in the back where no one sees them.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Prince of Tennis is licensed by Viz.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:

The anime? O_o
SeijinZero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
I'll be the devils advocate. I'll be the first to admit that I screw over the anime guys. I rent dvds by mail and copy them all, so I can watch them at my leisure, and I've bought a couple of the hong kong boxed set dvds online. I'm sorry, I know you all hate me, but anime is just way too expensive. it's not on tv really (and I don't get the anime network, and spending days downloading crappy fan subs is just ridiculous), so you're buying stuff you have no idea if you will even like. The only way to see it is to buy it, the only way to afford it is to "bootleg." I've even sent letters the opposite way of the article, to the better business bureau about how pricey anime is. "Gantz" $20 for 2 episodes? I mean come on! I know licensing and dubbing is expensive, but how can we be expected to afford that?
However, I'm not a totally horrible anime fan. After I've watched it, I DO buy legitimate copies of the stuff I like, pretty much just to support the industry and get the stuff I like at the best quality, and that definitely adds up to over $1,000 a year. But I can't afford to buy it all, especially unseen. I think the Anime network should get online, and do it up like Itunes and ABC. Sell the individual episodes online for like a dollar each and profit directly rather than the cable company cutting them in. It saved the music industry from piracy, it's only a matter of time before TV and movies are gonna have to adapt to technology too.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote
LilyChan wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

The anime? O_o

Yep, I beleave it was anoused on the site not to long ago eather.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
LilyChan wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

The anime? O_o

Yep, I beleave it was anoused on the site not to long ago eather.

Awesome. Very Happy
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
Has someone checked this store to see if it carries any funi or adv merchandise? If so, maybe someone should let those guys know, so they can sig their lawyers on this guys store.

Oh, they've told. He denies it in the article, but he's received several cease-and-desist letters from anime companies. He simply removes them from the webstore (and in extreme cases, from the front part of the retail shop), but keeps them in the back, making them available again when it's safe or via "special order".

Quote:
Would selling bootlegs of a product that is licensed by an american company, and not paying them royalties be theft?

I don't know how you'd pay them royalites, but the "Region 1 Rips" are just as illegal, if not more because the company does business in America. Far easier for someone in Houston to deal with the legal system than someone in Japan.
Area88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Dvd Rips are actually more of a problem than bootlegs because poeple get the dvd rips for free through various sites. Thankfully companies like ADV, Funimation and Central Park Media are tackling the situation. However other companies have yet do something i.e. Bandai, Geneon etc
Pyoko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Dvd Rips are actually more of a problem than bootlegs because poeple get the dvd rips for free through various sites.

And how is that more of a problem? People who only get DVD-rips are mostly just cheap bastards who wouldn't buy anything anyway. If they could no longer get their rips they would probably find themselves other hobbies.

People who buy bootlegs on the other hand are actually willing to pay for their anime, but don't support legit merchandise because there's a cheaper alternative. These are the people who need to be converted; if you could remove all the bootlegs from the market they would have to go for the real DVDs instead.
Area88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Completly agree on you on your 2nd paragraphy Pyoko.

But i think downloading Anime for free over the internet is the bigger problem. It's not particularly hard to find due to one huge website (which i won't name). If they could shut down that one website, half the battle would be won.

Most people won't buy something if they can get the same thing for free.
anime_man01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But i think downloading Anime for free over the internet is the bigger problem.

i do, but only to preview a couple of eps.....

here it comes....

BUT

i delete after viewing and then buy the legit version...

Quote:
It's not particularly hard to find due to one huge website (which i won't name). If they could shut down that one website, half the battle would be won.

if its what i think your thinking of, that and other bit-torrent sites are safe...

most are out of countries that u.s. laws and treaties have no jurisdiction over and can do nothing about it...

also a bot is a piece of hash info...

i.e.:

hash #
q81163haNW82303

could be the primer for an anime series download..

it also could be the primer for 1,000+ other things..

before you say thats not possible..

thus, tracking hash and narrowing it down to exactly what it is , is essentially is useless..

also, its not illeagal to host hash info as its not actually the item in question and such is not covered nor is it enforcable by any laws..

also, due to it being "code" theres no "probable cause" and loads of "plausable deniability" as to its true form..
the sites that remove hashes for licsnsed series are nice..
is it right in the first place to have em...

most likely not..

but before you flame or trash me, please read all my posts on this matter and you can also ask the author of this thread as to my standing over the issue of piracy...

Last edited by anime_man01 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7