• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now And Then, Here And There

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:58 pm Reply with quote
just finished watching the first three episodes, why doesn't this show get more credit? from what i've seen so far it's defintely up there with the big titles. this is definitely a no nonsense show, they don't sugarcoat anything. Hamdo has gotta be one of the best anime villians ever.
Kain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:44 am Reply with quote
Because Shu doesn't go Super Saiya-jin, and Lala Ru isn't a space bounty hunter with a penchant for sleep and instant ramen.

It's also a reason why one survey found that teenagers between the ages of 14 through 18 listed "Fast and the Furious" as their favorite movie... EVER. Orson Welles is turning in his grave as we speak...

There will never be a direct correlation between popularity and quality.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:31 am Reply with quote
Kain wrote:
It's also a reason why one survey found that teenagers between the ages of 14 through 18 listed "Fast and the Furious" as their favorite movie... EVER. =

how embarassing, you wouldn't happen to have a link to this would you? i know people who might be interested.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:32 am Reply with quote
Kain wrote:
Because Shu doesn't go Super Saiya-jin, and Lala Ru isn't a space bounty hunter with a penchant for sleep and instant ramen.

*LOL* You do vage point there. I saw it while in Korea on AXN-Asia and I LOVED IT. (Yes, all in caps. Razz) The ads that ran in Animerica didn't really jump out at people. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ferquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:39 am Reply with quote
I watched it totally from word of mouth (or in this case, word of text). Best purchase I ever made. I wish the directors hadn't cancelled out on coming to Sakura Con this year so I could have gotten them to autograph my DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Trom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:05 am Reply with quote
One of the best crafted anime series of recent creation. Here's the ANN link, btw: Now and Then, Here and There.
Lucca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Ah! I love what I've seen of the series. I'm not sure how much of it I've seen... I could tell you where I'm at, but that would be spoiling it for some people...

Anyways, I love the fact that, like Grave of the Fireflies, it has some pourpose behind it. This is one anime, I feel, could be used in class discussions, esp. those relating to WW2 (Blind Following, Idols, Ect). I like the fact that it's a lot deeper than other animes I've seen... how to put it...
It's hard to say.

I really hope I can see the rest of the series... I can't seem to find it, which is weird... *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
garry
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Speaking only for myself, the show's too damn depressing to recommend to anyone in good conscience. The themes of child rape and mass murder can also lead to problems if you accidentally show it to a survivor.

I love the show, but I never want to see it again and I've never suggested it to anyone.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't particularly interested in seeing this, but after Garry's review my curiosity is boiling over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Delthayre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't really looked into this title. But having read this thread and a few reviews, I am very intriuged by this series. I think I will give it a try.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Garry wrote:
Speaking only for myself, the show's too damn depressing to recommend to anyone in good conscience. The themes of child rape and mass murder can also lead to problems if you accidentally show it to a survivor.

I love the show, but I never want to see it again and I've never suggested it to anyone.

But that is what I loved about the show. Although it didn't take "in this world", it is kind of reflection of this world, execpt a girl with a jewel that can make tons of water come out of nowhere. I won't recommend to people that lived thought (War, Rape, etc.) because some of the issues that series deals with are harsh, but if you haven't and keep very close tabs on the news like I do, you'll find the series is just like the one that you and I live in, an unfriendly one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Murders, rapes and fires are not the only way to assess the progress of a society. Why are there so few television stories about symphonies that have been composed, novels written, scientific problems solved, and a thousand other creative acts that occur during the course of a month?

Were television news to be filled with these events, we would not be frightened. We would, in fact, be inspired, optimistic, cheerful.

=)
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:08 pm Reply with quote
does anyone know the name of the score that plays at the opening? not the theme song, but the one that plays at the beginning of the first episode when he's walking.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:15 pm Reply with quote
The way I looked at it, it was something akin to viewing Schindler's List in the sense that it's overcoming adversity in dire times. Shu is the very embodiment of optimism. No matter how tough it got, he knew he could get through it all if he kept trying and kept a positive mindset. It's amazing this kid survived. Of course, the characters around him could not see the same bright light at the end of the tunnel and in the end either suffered more for it or simply gave up, and that's the depressing part of it all.

Quote:
Murders, rapes and fires are not the only way to assess the progress of a society. Why are there so few television stories about symphonies that have been composed, novels written, scientific problems solved, and a thousand other creative acts that occur during the course of a month?

Were television news to be filled with these events, we would not be frightened. We would, in fact, be inspired, optimistic, cheerful.

True, but we seem to inherantly share a morbid curiosity about bad situations. It's like people who like to listen to sad songs. To me, the reasoning behind this is that to truly appreciate happiness, you have to experience pain. I guess it's the dominatrix in all of us. There has to be a struggle for the hero to take on to make a compelling story. If all was happy sugary flower gumdrops, things would be really dull. In Shu's case, the struggle was laid on real thick, a little too thick, which is why this anime was really depressing. The positive outcome was considerably smaller compared to the hell the characters were put through. In essence, they sort of got ripped off.

Anyway, as depressing as it is, I highly recommend watching this anime. Anybody who thinks anime is all T & A and violence will eat their words when they see this brilliantly-told story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1