• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai 7 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
Its def worth seeing the Kurasawa movie first.. you can rent it, but be aware its over 3 hours long and black and white.. subs only.

Its a classic of cinema.

And they knock the robo samurai... spoiler[because he's not really samurai. he's just a peasent who decided to call himself samurai.. he had no lineage. he's brash and vain while not backing it with a samurais expected attitude, and he uses brute strength, where samurai are supposed to use skill.]

His character is based on one in the movie, treated the same way. Being samurai was more than swinging a sword.

Watch the movie.. and this series.. seriously.
Thanos1

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to dig up an old thread but...

I just finished watching this series about three days ago. Am I the only one that absolutely hated the ending?

Throughout the whole anime, the viewers were given plenty of hints that Kirara and Katsushiro had feelings for each other. I was seriously rooting for this couple, then in the last few episodes, it's revealed to us that spoiler[Kirara actually loved Kambei (the old-ass samurai) the whole time]. WTF?!?!

Seriously, that moment and the scene where spoiler[Kirara slaps Katsuhiro really broke my heart (not sure I should be using that phrase since this is just an anime...)]. I don't know why but I really empathized with Katsushiro's character. Like I stated before, it's been three days since i've finished this anime and these scenes are still on my mind.

Additionally, I also felt bad for Rikichi. I mean, when his spoiler[ kidnapped wife is returned to him, all she says is something along the lines of "I love the emperor; I was going to have his baby etc..."]. That was another heart-wrenching moment for me too, to see Rikichi bawl his eyes out when spoiler[ the woman he loves finally returns and all she can talk about is the dood who kidnaps her and how much she loves him..all in front of Rikichi!]. I suppose I can sort of understand how she feels as well (taking the stockholm syndrome into account) but damn, I was pissed at that moment.

Back to Katsushiro's 'dilemma', I think he was a fool to be so concentrated on becoming a samurai that he totally missed some opportunities to progress his relationship with Kiara. However, I suppose one can argue that after her rejection and not returning his affection, he decided to forgo that relationship and concentrate on becoming a true samurai.

With regards to Kambei, some of my friends are telling me that there were some subtle hints as to Kirara's love for him given through the series. I guess i just didn't see it or was too blinded by rooting for Katsushiro to end up with Kirara.

All in all, the series had some fantastic animation, great action, and some pretty funny dialogue. Though I have to say the seemingly forced love triangle was poorly conceived, executed and did not add value to the series at all. The ending totally ruined the anime for me and left a sour taste in my mouth. By the way, is it normal for someone to be this attached (emotionally) to an anime and its characters? I felt betrayed, and that it was me who was rejected.

Disclaimer:
Not trying to offend anyone who liked this anime, just wanted to get these feelings off my chest as it was driving me crazy for the past few days. Also, I am a big fan of typical romance endings where the
guy gets the girl in the end so that might explain a few of my emotions Laughing

Sorry about the rant, just had to get this off my chest. What are your thoughts?
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I liked the series, but I didn't like the ending either.

spoiler[ Killing Kikuchiyo] was completely unnecessary. He was the kind of character spoiler[ that shouldn't die ] I hated the way spoiler[ Kyuzo died, I mean a badass like that ends up being killed by the kid ]

Also, it was more like spoiler[Samurai 6] for most of the series, lol.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:

spoiler[ Killing Kikuchiyo] was completely unnecessary. He was the kind of character spoiler[ that shouldn't die ] I hated the way spoiler[ Kyuzo died, I mean a badass like that ends up being killed by the kid ]

I take it that you have not seen the original film The Seven Samurai? Obviously not since the death list is the exact same as it is with the anime series. Yes, in the original source spoiler[Kikuchiyo(sp) dies as well as Kyuzo. Sure, Kyuzo's death is much different in the film, but in both versions, his death had an affect on Katsuchiro. ] Kirara (as well as Komachi) do not exist in the original film; they were both made up for the anime (But I stand by my stance of Kirara being one of (if not the most) strongest female leads in anime of that particular year). I honestly felt that they did a superb job of adding a steampunk theme to a somewhat historical film without perverting the original story.

Thanos1 wrote:
Throughout the whole anime, the viewers were given plenty of hints that Kirara and Katsushiro had feelings for each other. I was seriously rooting for this couple, then in the last few episodes, it's revealed to us that spoiler[Kirara actually loved Kambei (the old-ass samurai) the whole time]. WTF?!?!

As i said earlier, Kirara did not exist in the original story. In the film, Katsuchiro spoiler[had a romance with the village girl Shino (I think was her name), which ended in heartbreak. Shino ended up getting with him, but not staying with him.]
The original story that this anime was based on did not end on a "happy" note, so why should the anime? I for one found the ending of Samurai 7 to be one of the most thourough endings to an anime that I've ever seen. That alone gains extra praise from myself...
Optix

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
This is next up on my list of things to watch. I may throw in a run with Armitage or Akira just for a little taste of some old school anime but Samurai 7 is a series I have been looking forward to for some time and my local store just started to get them in...albeit extremely overpriced.
Casey Jones

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 am Reply with quote
Im sorry but i just have to say that I thought this anime series SUCKED!

I think it did a dis-service to Kurosawa's legendary movie (which I saw and loved).

It is just too damn far-fetched in that regular people are fighting these huge 20 feet tall giant robots with swords and cutting right through them. I think if they would have made it more realistic (and taking place in feudal times as the movie) it would have been better.

Sorry for all you that loved it though (which appears to be a lot of you from all the posts in here).
Optix

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones wrote:
I think if they would have made it more realistic ...

Bingo...there's the problem.

Reality went out the window in about the first 2 minutes?

Realistic would be good but I like some over the top stuff such as this.

I guess I could compare this to Transformers. The movie itself sucked but I went into it expecting to see loads of eye candy and big robots pounding the snot out of each other. It delivered and I was satisfied.

If you expect something and it turns out to be something else then you'll be unhappy.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones wrote:
Sorry for all you that loved it though (which appears to be a lot of you from all the posts in here).

Why would you need to apologize to people for liking this show? I'm probably not going to enjoy the answer.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
sanosuke32 wrote:

I take it that you have not seen the original film The Seven Samurai? Obviously not since the death list is the exact same as it is with the anime series. Yes, in the original source spoiler[Kikuchiyo(sp) dies as well as Kyuzo. Sure, Kyuzo's death is much different in the film, but in both versions, his death had an affect on Katsuchiro. ] Kirara (as well as Komachi) do not exist in the original film; they were both made up for the anime (But I stand by my stance of Kirara being one of (if not the most) strongest female leads in anime of that particular year). I honestly felt that they did a superb job of adding a steampunk theme to a somewhat historical film without perverting the original story.

You'd be right in saying so, I have not seen much of the movie, but I should find time to finish it. I still stick by what I said, spoiler[Kikuchiyo did not have to die in either, his character was too awesome, and Kyuzo did not have to die in such a stupid way. ]
sj21

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
i was just checking this out, and i was wondering...what did you all think of it? From the looks of it, it reminds me of samurai champloo and kenshin, however i don't want to waste time buying 26 episodes of anime if im just going to hate it...

and i have a few questions....

1) any movies?

2) any similarity at all to this and kenshin/samurai champloo? (this would be good, as those were/are great shows!)

There are no movies yet, but i recently bought this series and once it hit episode 13 i was in awwwwww.

It does have a box set so even if you think its okay you don't have to get all the single discs. I deffenetely reccomend it and its not too similar to Kenshin or samurai champloo because they fight nobuseri(machine samurai) but some fights are samurai vs. samurai.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Mediocre in every sense of the word. The animation, the fights, the plot, and oh! the characters...

the plot had a few interesting twists which were nice, but mostly it was pretty flat-line, which is fine if the general format is lull, fight, lull, fight and the fights are AWESOME. But they weren't. Most of them were pretty boring.

I had the most problem with the characters. You couldn't empathize with them and no one had any remote development besides Katshiro. They just felt and seemed flat, and the villains certainly weren't interesting. And some of the character designs were downright ugly (Kirara and Katshiro's faces = Pillsbury Dough Boy).

With so much potential going down the drain this one received a "good" rating from me. All that said, it was mediocre, not terrible.

oh, and you can't compare it to something of Kenshin's level, and Samurai Champloo isn't even on the same plane since it's not really about (traditional) samurai, it just borrows the time period.
SamuraiPenguin34

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
all that aside,

i think if you take the series for what it is, it has an excellent story line (in my opinion) the animation is excellent, and there are many great fight scenes. I personally love historic, samurai series like kenshin but at the same time, i dont think this should be compared. It should be appreciated for what it is.
wankristan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Animes are good TV programs just for entertainment and samurai Anime is great tv show than others. I love this show very much In which samurai is my favorite character. Smile
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I don't know how the Japanese themselves or Kurosawa himself felt about Hollywood's version of his story.

You might be interested to know that Kurosawa expressed his approval and sealed it by presenting the director with a samurai sword. It's nice to know that the master loved the tribute to his work.

If I could only save one it would be Seven Samurai by a long shot, but I do enjoy watching The Magnificent Seven once in a while when I'm on a Western kick.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
wankristan--
Just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the fora!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3