• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gankutsuou

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Not necessarily, but does Americanization automatically make something bad? It seems to many that it does, although I'm not one of those either, it really depends on the degree of it.

In this case though I felt the degree of the changes was just too much. Too many changes and alterations, it did not capture the feel of the classic.

And, on a side not I didn't like the art style much although that doesn't have a significant impact on my feelings regarding the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Not necessarily, but does Americanization automatically make something bad? It seems to many that it does, although I'm not one of those either, it really depends on the degree of it.

In this case though I felt the degree of the changes was just too much. Too many changes and alterations, it did not capture the feel of the classic.

And, on a side not I didn't like the art style much although that doesn't have a significant impact on my feelings regarding the series.

Well, just to get it out of the way, the art I found to be so good one could consider it a selling point. But, to each his own.

And i never expect anime versions of other media/literature, to capture the feeling of it's original content whatsoever; so, I was just basically looking at this as an original series. That might be why I was able to enjoy it, because I wasn't comparing it to the original in any way whatsoever.

I would like to re-read the novel, however I haven't the time, and it's a big book!
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
I heard this anime was a version of The Count of Monte Cristo so I didn't bother watching it. I haven't read the book but I enjoyed the 2002 movie so I figured watching it again wouldn't prove to be all that fun, since I know the plot and twists of the story.

However, seeing this thread made me start watching it, just out of curiosity, and I have to say that I'm amazed. I was impressed by the futuristic setting in which it took place and the art was unique. I finished the entire series in only 4 days.

Well, that was only up to the ending. Because the ending was severely disappointing. I don't know how the original novel ends (and please, do not tell me because I intend to read it) but the 2002 movie actually did end how I imagined it would: spoiler[Dantes gets his revenge, finds out about his son, happy ending.]

The problem I had was the fact that spoiler[in the end Dantes dies with Gankutsuou and he fails to get his revenge on Albert, not Fernand (Remember that Dantes asks for his sword wanting to kill Albert with his own hands, not Fernand). Then it's as if Albert self-inherits Dantes' will of some sort and promises himself that he'll live on. This made Albert look pretty conceited to me. Additionally, Dantes was neither able to love again nor finish his revenge - making it look as if Dantes' entire life had gone to waste from being framed, being in prison, living in hatred, and dying without peace. It's as if this anime version set up the character of Dantes as someone to be pitied. He dies in vain, but somehow gave hope to everyone (ie: Haydee becoming a princess for Janina and continue living) with nothing but his hatred, and ends up being a dead role model for Albert, whom he wanted to exact revenge upon the most. If that wasn't enough, I realized that Fernand eventually did get his wish contrary to what Dantes wanted - Fernand confirmed Dantes' death before he died (Fernand states, after shooting his wife and son, that he cannot die until Dantes does). Meaning Dantes never really accomplished his revenge on Fernand either. On top of that, Fernand decides to kill himself for whatever reasons, including feeling sorry for Dantes, which is again, pitying him.]

spoiler[Since I already saw the 2002 movie, I was expecting one of two endings: a happy ending where Dantes forgets about revenge and learns to love again or a sad ending where he finishes his revenge. But to somehow end up with a kind of happy ending without Dantes seemed completely wrong, since if anyone deserved to be happy in the story of The Count of Monte Cristo, it has to be the one who suffered the most.]

Well, basically my rant of why I didn't vote it as a Masterpiece, but so close to one.

I can't believe nobody else had a problem with the ending though. It's so cliche. -_-;
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't believe nobody else had a problem with the ending though. It's so cliche. -_-;

I had a problem with the ending, Somehow I don't like it Confused . In my view the antiwar motive was unnecessary. It seems like it was forced. Maybe beecause i read book and the book had been had a better ending, IMO of course.

Nevertheless I like it. At first I don't like how the story had been changed. However later I began like it. I start feel. It could be boring if everythinmg would be exactly like in the book.
Although, as I said the ending disappointed me a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2