• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Advent Children Release Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I really don't think that the Last Order OVA was that much responsible for a huge jump in price, considering that Advent Pieces had a boatload of items in it. Advent Pieces was aimed at otakus and reverse importation would not get you all the stuff that was in it.

It probably wasn't that responsible for the price jump, though I'm guessing that it was responsible for some of it due to production costs and low print run, but reverse importation is probably the reason for it not being available for the Sony release. It's one of the bigger draws of the set, and S-E wouldn't want to screw themselves out of potential sales.

If Sony decides to double dip in the future, we might see it available at that time.
Jifty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm just ticked that they didn't get Mandy Moore to play Aerith again. What really ticks me off is that they replaced her wth Mena Suvari. That just sucks.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

I'm paying for it.
So are millions of others.
They screwed us over with the delay.
They owe us big time for this travesty.

Actually they "owe" you zero, nothing, and delaying a direct-to-video CG cartoon is not a "travesty" in any sense of the word. Do you think you could be a little more ridiculously melodramatic?

I'm not sure what it is about this title in particular, but the hyperbolic fanboy bellyaching is 10 times worse than it normally is. Peple act like Square OWES THEM THIS FILM and every single delay strikes another dagger into their very heart.

Also, I'm aware that Last Order was not the sole reason for the Advent Pieces set being $250 but it was part of it. The Cloud + Fenrir action figure that's being sold in US specialty shops right now is not the same thing as the Cloud statue that came in the Japanese box. Last Order was one of the main draws in the Advent Pieces box and Sony isn't interested in allowing Japanese otaku to import it for around 1/10th the cost of the box set.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
For those who are doubting the release date, it is April 25, and that is a finalized date. It is even listed on the Sony site this time, and if you can't trust the company releasing the DVD and UMD to have the accurate date, then who can you trust? This is the first time they've actually put a release date up for Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children at the Sony site. http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/upcoming.html
Jifty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm not sure what it is about this title in particular, but the hyperbolic fanboy bellyaching is 10 times worse than it normally is. Peple act like Square OWES THEM THIS FILM and every single delay strikes another dagger into their very heart.

Yeah, it gets annoying. I mean, I gave a melodramatic "NNOOOOOOO!!!!" when I saw it was pushed back, but I think I can wait. Razz It's now a running gag with my brother and I. Seeing how some people overreact is just silly though.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it is silly how people overreact.

First they're angry over the length of time it's taken to get an official release date for this movie...now that we have one, they're angry that "there aren't enough extras".

Personally, I'm just happy that we're getting the movie, and I'm one of the few who didn't download it(connection sucks, plus I wanted the official version) or get the bootleg(illegal).

I'm a FF7 fan(not fangirl), and just don't get why people can't just be happy that we're even getting the movie. Square could've easily made the movie Japan-only. Getting the movie for the movie is what y'all should be doing. The extras are...well...extra. Confused
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Now that we know who the VAs are, and that some of them are on the convention circuit, I'd think the dealer's rooms will make a killing off of selling AC DVDs (and other merchandise) to people by advertising that buyers can get their purchase autographed just down the hall. Imagine the fans who will then race to the autograph lines to have "Vincent Valentine" or some such scrawled on their stuff - only to discover they should have made the purchase four hours ago because the line is a quarter-mile long and the signing hasn't even started yet. I'll bet some of these luckless individuals will then make complaints about false advertising...yeesh.

I wonder how many such autographed DVDs will then go on to live the good life at the convention's black market. Mad
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
YAY! We can finally buy it after who knows how long everyone has been waiting. I love the music. Uematsu!
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
[Do not post in all bold, please. -Nagi]
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
WindAlchemistJen wrote:
Yeah, it is silly how people overreact.

First they're angry over the length of time it's taken to get an official release date for this movie...now that we have one, they're angry that "there aren't enough extras".

Seeing it from the persepctive that Square Enix officials cited "supplementary features" as the cause of the long wait...I understand the complaint. Seeing as to how DVD extras, especially the ones they are giving us do NOT take that long.

Quote:

Personally, I'm just happy that we're getting the movie, and I'm one of the few who didn't download it(connection sucks, plus I wanted the official version) or get the bootleg(illegal).

I'm a FF7 fan(not fangirl), and just don't get why people can't just be happy that we're even getting the movie. Square could've easily made the movie Japan-only. Getting the movie for the movie is what y'all should be doing. The extras are...well...extra. Confused

I'm happy too but I feel that Square Enix's behavior after the September release date suddenly didn't happen was faulty. There were all these conflicting reports coming out of Square. Media were reporting, "Ok its November now!" "No wait! Now its January!" "Ok March 28th!"

If downloading was a problem, they should've coordinated it so the US release actually happened the same time as the Japanese one as originally announced.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I really don't think that the Last Order OVA was that much responsible for a huge jump in price, considering that Advent Pieces had a boatload of items in it. Advent Pieces was aimed at otakus and reverse importation would not get you all the stuff that was in it.

Besides, Cloud+Fenrir model set was recently sold in the US. So if they are breaking down Advent Pieces and selling stuff individually, why not give us the Last Order OVA too?

The boxset is going for tons more on eBay, I mean seriously, check it out. I was even shocked, $500-$600, yeesh. At that rate, I honestly thought I would never get my hands on the Cloud and Fenrir set, but since they recently released the set here in America, I got mine off eBay not too long ago for only $60. The figure's totally kick-arse, I mean, the fenrir has shocks. .... well, I find that appealing.

But I have to agree, I too think it was the bundled package that made the set so valuable. I wanted it, but then I honestly asked myself "what the heck are you going to do with it? You can't watch the UMD because you have a R1 PSP, you can't watch the DVD because you have an R1 DVD player, the shirt and hat ain't all that great, but dang that figure looks totally awesome." (people were forking out atleast $200 for the Cloud figure and his bike). I wouldn't be surprised to see an anime company pick up the anime and sell it on DVD. That's what I think will happen in the future, anyway. But, maybe not? Who knows, hm?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
I'm glad it's finally coming out, so I can finally burst the fanboy bubble like I did with Evangelion.

Zac:
Quote:
You have to pay some $250 to see Last Order in Japan.

That's cus the Japanese will buy almost anything...except an X Box.

Quote:
If Square did the same thing here and put Last Order in as an exclusive with a set that cost you $250, tell me, would you still complain?

What about Bandai selling the Patlabor movies for $90?

Quote:
Actually they "owe" you zero, nothing,

Considering the fans are the only reason Sony is going to break even on the production, and considering they made us sit through Spirits Within, I think the company more than owes us for bailing them out of a disappointing year.

Quote:
Peple act like Square OWES THEM THIS FILM

After buying a PS1 and sitting through Tobal just to play the demo, then finding out that the final product I purchased before it was a Greatest Hits title was actually a beta version with a bunch of cg cut scenes, Square definitely owes me a real ending.

Quote:
Last Order was one of the main draws in the Advent Pieces box and Sony isn't interested in allowing Japanese otaku to import it for around 1/10th the cost of the box set.

Japan and U.S. are different markets. We'd gladly pay a premium for just a short, while the Japanese wouldn't have bought Last Order if it wasn't for the toys.
Mekairinek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:31 am Reply with quote
George Newbern as Sephiroth? HELL YES.

I DON'T even like Sephiroth, but Newbern's work on Justice Leauge overrides that by x1000.
Mishamew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote
wait, you're sure about the release date right? April 25th? Omg... two more months and like, i'm so psyched. i'm gonna get it on DVD AND on PSP mwuahaha.... yeah a lil obsessed... don't comment on that...
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
Usually I watch dubs, but the japanese voice cast was pretty much on-point.

I hope that the english cast can do as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7